Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled DEN-LON-GLA. No reasonable alternative offered.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum

Flying today's DEN-LHR and on to GLA on BA, in an F redemption. The DEN-LHR has been cancelled and I'm told by YouFirst that there's no alternative 'with any of our partners' to get me home in anything other than economy, yet BA are selling codeshare tickets in F on AA, via DFW.

Advice?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Ground staff at DEN can do more in irrops than phone agents can so maybe go to DEN and speak to a BA agent there.

What options are showing in MMB on the website / app
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Mmm, there is not a lot going from Denver from a very quick look. It's not a big joint for AA either, which may be part of the problem. Added to this, United, which is bigger there, seems to be running quite full too. Did you give specific flight numbers to YouFirst? That they are in First wouldn't be an issue on a CW ticket since that connects to J anyway. If you are travelling as a couple then that would explain it since its basically J1 down the line.

If ReAccom has kicked in, and you've been rebooked automatically, it does tend to chuck people into Economy seating rather than working through to the correct cabin.

In this situation I would go to the airport and see if the can find something for you via ORD, JFK, PHL etc.
Macspreader likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:49 am

The AA segments out of DEN may be tough to get in business, but you should be able to get down to PHX or back to LAX on AA in economy and then onto a BA flight in F this evening. PHX is about a 90 minute flight, so not ideal, but it would get you on your way and preserve a nice long segment in F.
Macspreader and mikeyfly like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:59 am

Here are a couple of options:

Denver-LAX - AA 6087
14:08-15:45 (Economy only)
LAX-Heathrow - BA 280
17:55-12:15+
Heathrow-Glasgow - BA 1486
15:05-16:40

Denver-Phoenix - AA 2065
15:06-17:02 (economy only)
Phoenix-Heathrow - BA 288
20:45-13:35+
Heathrow-Glasgow - BA 1486
15:05-16:40

Personally, I'd go for the LAX option, as they have a great lounge and a nice B787-900 First Cabin.

I am unsure who does ticketing for BA at Denver. However, given the flight normally departs at 17:30, its also possible that no one will be at the desks if you arrive within an hour. I would suggest calling back, feeding these exact flight numbers to the call centre, and see if you can get it rebooked. If you get to DEN two hours or so before your original flight departure time, a good number of options will be gone and you may find yourself delayed 24 hours.

Good luck.
Macspreader likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Sorted. Den-DFL in economy, then F for the long leg. It gets me home reasonably quickly and I’m happy enough with that. Not done AA F, so thought it was worth a try.

Now, compo?
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:06 am

How late will you be delayed into GLA compared to your originally schedule?

Appears that the flight has been cancelled for technical reasons. From ExpertFlyer:

DOBA218/17NOV
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 218 0 SA 17NOV18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

DEN ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2054
FLIGHT CANCELLED 1050
TECH

ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1246 LHR
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 218 0 SA 17NOV18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
DEN 1735 SA FAJCDRIWETY/M 744 9:00
BHKMLVSNQOG/M
LHR 0935 SU 9:00
COMMENTS-
1.DEN LHR - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.DEN LHR - ARRIVES TERMINAL 3
3.DEN LHR - 9/ NON-SMOKING
4.DEN LHR - SECURED FLIGHT
5.DEN LHR - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.DEN LHR - CO2/PAX* 463.93 KG ECO, 927.86 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
744 F 14 J 52 W 36 M 235
Macspreader likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

There are two of us..

and we we will get into Glasgow in the same flight as previous, so no worse off than before I guess.

Last edited by Macspreader; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:16 am Reason: Additional info
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
correct. This is what EU261 was designed to do - get passengers to their destination ASAP by rebooking etc

You may be able to get a partial reimbursement for the downgrade on the DEN-DFW leg though.
Macspreader likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
correct. This is what EU261 was designed to do - get passengers to their destination ASAP by rebooking etc

You may be able to get a partial reimbursement for the downgrade on the DEN-DFW leg though.
But have they been downgraded? They were scheduled to fly direct DEN/LHR. This is simply an extra sector to get them on their way. Certainly nothing available as for as I can see, but may get a gesture for inconvenience.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Might be a moot point though - stuck in Denver now (~2hr delay), and looks like our connection is getting more tight with every passing minute.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:01 pm

All the more time to enjoy the fine AA lounge
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, scotpoints
I often wonder what I would do in a situation like this - I guess the first thing would be to get on here and ask you guys for advice!

I hope the OP does get back to GLA without much more mishap.
Macspreader likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
and yet, the phone staff - even the special First phone staff - could do nothing useful.

The #1 service improvement BA could make would be to let their phone staff rebook the same way as airport staff.
LCY8737, dylanks, rossmacd and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

The saga continues. AA from DEN was late arriving, but the gate agents said that they would call the LHR gate and we should run. We did, and arrived before scheduled departure time to find the gate empty and the plane departed early.

Now stuck overnight in DFW, and will be very late home (~24hrs). Strangely, AA and BA both washing their hands of any duty of care, so am having to pay for the hotel myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.