Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight cancelled DEN-LON-GLA. No reasonable alternative offered.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancelled DEN-LON-GLA. No reasonable alternative offered.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Update:
now in BOS, having flown DFW-BOS in J, but only after a last minute upgrade at the gate.

Just two flights to go.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Macspreader
Update:
now in BOS, having flown DFW-BOS in J, but only after a last minute upgrade at the gate.

Just two flights to go.
It sounds like you may do well TP-wise with the extra segments. Just make sure to keep your BPs until the flights credit. I feel like AA occasionally gets confused by those last-minute “upgrades” back to the class of service you were supposed to have.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

TPS are worthless to me, I’m afraid. Not likely to step on a BA plane again for a long time after this, and likely only as a way to burn up my avios.
smokie36 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

I was due to travel 4 days later, was flying AA. CUN-MIA and BA MIA-LHR ended up flying AA CUN-PHL and BA PHL-LHR,
BA Holidays is a travel agent / tour operator, and handled the rebooking with BA/AA on your behalf in this capacity.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:13 am
Original Poster

In case anyone is wondering, we got home ~18hrs late, and our luggage made it the next day.

Claim submitted for E600 each for cancelled flight, early departure and delayed arrival
Claim submitted for hotel reimbursement under duty of care
Request made for consideration of downgrade of extra two sectors.

Many thanks for everyone's help in this, and (assuming no compelling reason otherwise) I'll update when I get a reply.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

So, an acceptance of the EU compensation, but a rejection of expenses paid and nothing for the downgrades. I guess I may eventually have to accept the outcome for the expenses and speak to my travel insurance on that (but will have to stomach the excess), but I have to say I'm not impressed by the overall experience. The downgrading is poor show though - a few Avios would have kept me happy, but nothing at all is just an insult.

Anyone got any advice/ thoughts at this time? Mine would be to refuse any involuntary reroute that puts you onto another carrier, especially if it is a "non-community carrier"
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Macspreader
Anyone got any advice/ thoughts at this time?
Yes....ask for a deadlock letter and advise of your intention to take the case to CEDR without further delay.

Your line of argument would be that the involuntary re-route, and the subsequent delay, and then the enforced overnight stop, were direct consequences of BA cancelling your flight which was within the scope of EC261. Put another way had BA not cancelled your flight then you would not be out of pocket.

You could also argue that if it was the intention that re-routing to UK on non community airlines was outside the scope of EC261 then airlines would immediately take the opportunity to re-route on alliance members like AA and thus make a handy cost saving by washing their hands of any duty of care costs.

I imagine that when someone in BA legal team reviews the case they will give in or settle at CEDR.
Macspreader likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Update - that’s the final position from BA sent to me and with no change the CEDR application is in, so now the wait to see what happens. I hope that this might result in a more sensible reply from BA, but time will tell.

Interesting that BA suggested I should claim off my travel insurance for the hotel costs - I could, but would then have both a claim against my name and also a small excess to pay. They’re just not entertaining the downgrade part either, in spite of me spending 1/3 of the journey in a seat rather than a bed. That’s a more difficult issue to quantify, but I still feel I deserve something.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Confus

Believe it or not, this is not a situation of BA’s making. There are IATA protocols around disruption handling, one of which is the difference between local and central processes, and all airlines are part of this. In disrupton BA’s handlers are supposed to check with the local agents of the proposed carrier how many pax they are willing and able to accept before rebooking them. In practice this can be agreed in advance, but again only on a local level.

For BA to arrange this centrally, it would necessitate a renegotiation with every individual airline with which they have an agreement to accept interline passengers. IIRC there are c.150 of these - not exactly the most practical exercise, even if everyone else were prepared to agree (which they won’t be).
I'm sure what you say is true for large scale disruption, but if the carrier is still selling tickets (showing GDS availability and willing to price it online) for seats on their flight then I see no reason why BA couldn't rebook people onto that flight when the passenger themselves could make that reservation if they want to risk (a lot of) money. BA central staff just aren't allowed to do it.

If the carrier has closed their flight to new reservations and is handling remaining seating locally then it will require contact with the airport local staff, though how hard is it to phone the local staff to ask if they can accept a passenger? BA still aren't empowering their staff to do that.

There are many cases where either of these could apply, in particular the first one applies - it's a small (one-reservation) disruption and there are seats for sale on the proposed replacement.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
I'm sure what you say is true for large scale disruption, but if the carrier is still selling tickets (showing GDS availability and willing to price it online) for seats on their flight then I see no reason why BA couldn't rebook people onto that flight when the passenger themselves could make that reservation if they want to risk (a lot of) money. BA central staff just aren't allowed to do it.

If the carrier has closed their flight to new reservations and is handling remaining seating locally then it will require contact with the airport local staff, though how hard is it to phone the local staff to ask if they can accept a passenger? BA still aren't empowering their staff to do that.

There are many cases where either of these could apply, in particular the first one applies - it's a small (one-reservation) disruption and there are seats for sale on the proposed replacement.
If you’ve ever had to try and call an airport during disruption like i have you would understand how impractical your suggestion is. Theres no way any airline is going to want to be rebooking passengers during mass disruption and also taking lots of calls from another airline asking if they can rebook their passengers.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander

Buying a commercial ticket and involuntarily re-booking a passenger are two very different processes. When airline X rebooks onto airline Y, the former does not actually buy a commercial walk-up fare. Moreover, we know that airlines overbookl, so commercial availability does not mean much, especially on the day of departure.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fact that a carrier is willing to sell a seat does not mean that it is willing to accept an interline rebooking. That is because carriers overbook and accept the risk that an oversale will occur and that will be forced to either pay volunteers or involuntarily deny boarding. The fact that a seat is for sale means precious little in the context of IRROPS.

Also, at major US airports, "calling the airport" an agent from one carrier calling an agent from another carrier and reaching the individual charged with "gate control" is a fiction from the past. Neither carrier, but most particularly the receiving carrier, want an agent who is monitoring the load on a potentially oversold flight, chatting with agents from other carriers around the world.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Update: As predicted, BA have settled in CEDR at the 11th hour of their allowed response time. A fairly easy system to work through, and I'm reasonably happy with their response - all expenses paid and a small number of Avios to compensate for the downgraded legs.

Thankyou to all who gave advice, especially @simons1 for encouraging me to go to CEDR.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:24 pm

Well done. This together with the separate 787 engine rulings indicate that CEDR is not being hoodwinked by BA's antics.

Hopefully this will give others confidence to pursue legitimate claims.
Macspreader likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.