Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To recline or not to recline that is the question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To recline or not to recline that is the question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dddc

On long haul, absolutely. My mother had an absurd situation on a 14 hour Emirates flight where the aggressive person behind her got the cabin crew to tell my mother to raise her seat in the middle of lights out period. This woman had been huffing and swearing for about 30 minutes, but hadn't approached my mum directly. Not wanting to cause a scene, she raised her seatback and spent the next 10 hours of the flight uncomfortable and the next two weeks at home in pain trying to recover from it. Despicable crew for even agreeing to ask someone to do that instead of saying no.
You're right that the cabin crew should have said no to the person behind your mother but hopefully in future your mother will know to politely decline such requests. It should be possible to avoid causing a scene especially if the person behind didn't have the guts to talk to your mother directly. Poor from the cabin crew in any case.
LTN Phobia and AnaTravel like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities
It is one thing for people to try to recline. But, I very much dislike when people try to recline, hit my knees, decide the seat must be broken, and then repetitively try slamming the seat back as hard as they can to fix it. On one flight, I stood up, leaned over, and said, “Those are my knees you are hitting.”

Basically, I think I’m just asking for people to show the same manners on planes that they would in other social scenarios. But, somehow, on a plane, we seem to have a tendency to forget that there are other human beings around us who are impacted by our words and actions.
I am not sure that what you are describing is a lack of manners. This would be the case if the person realised it was your knees and nonetheless kept on banging. As you acknowledge yourself, however, people doing that usually do it because they think the seat is broken without realizing that it is your knees taking the hit and I suspect that the majority are mortified when they realise what they have been doing.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dddc
If it's a feature of your seat - and there aren't many features in economy seats, you are 100% entitled to use it.
That's my way of thinking as well.
My wife likes to take a nap on a short haul flight after connecting off a 13 hour overnight flight. So as soon as it's allowed she reclines.
awayIgo and AnaTravel like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:41 am

If you purchase a seat with a recline feature, recline if you like. To ask someone not to recline is bad manners. The exception to this is when people are eating and it's a commonly found courtesy standard to place the seat upright on certain flights.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Nov 17, 2018 at 7:17 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:45 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
If you didn't want me to "be in your space" you should've bought a ticket in the front of the cabin. Everyone is allowed to recline including the person who's upset that you are doing it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I recline, but only when I'm intending to sleep/snooze, and never before meal service. Slowly and respectfully, but I wouldn't ask permission first.

BA seats aren't as bad for this as some others. I think it was a Qantas aircraft I was on where reclining the seat would render the tray table entirely unusable.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve never really understood the fuss about reclining apart from at meal times or where there is a lap child behind. The design of the seat is such that seats recline from a point above knee height so it does not impact legroom. It does reduce the amount of space at stomach height and above but all that is really lost is the perception of spaciousness rather that useable space.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
The function is there to use, although I personally dislike reclining my own seat.

Simply remember to follow the golden rule and recline gently, instead of slamming it back!
adrianlondon, HIDDY and awayIgo like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
At 6ft6 in both ET and CE legroom is at a premium though I never recline. I can’t stop people reclining into me but sadly with nowhere for my legs to go and with the seats so thin they will have my knees in their back. Not a lot I can do really.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended

Well, first, I think people need to acknowledge that air travel is no different than any other form of public transportation today. It's a bus with wings to put it simply. So having said that, people need to manage their expectations as to what they can get for the price they paid. If you choose to fly in Y, you get very little indeed for your money, as is appropriate given that you paid very little for it. I leave it to those who fly Y to argue over whether reclining 2 inches which is as much as most will recline now, is a major point worth arguing over or not.

I will no longer fly in Y since seat pitch went from 34-36 inches to 30 inches and sometimes even less. Perhaps some posters are not old enough to remember back to when seat pitch was 36 inches in Y and funnily enough, no one was bothered by whether or not the person in front of you reclined their seat or not. The seat could be reclined and it was the passenger's right to do so at any time other than take-off and landing. This whole ISSUE of recline or not did not EXIST. When flying in Premium type classes now, you get that same 36 inch pitch and no need to think about reclining or not, you do as you please and bother no one.

That someone is 6'4" is not anyone else's problem, it's SOLELY the problem of that tall person who bought a seat without enough room to accommodate their height. Buy more space if you need it. Otherwise, put up with what you bought, without trying to say someone else should accommodate you. The same applies to those who cannot comfortably fit in the ridiculous 17" wide seats in Y these days. Overflowing into the adjoining seats is not something you should be doing. Buy a wider seat, they are available. Reading comments about 'I am 6'4" and people should be considerate towards me', is ridiculous. You bought the cheapest seat on the bus, that was your choice, live with it and stop whining.

The people get what the people deserve as always. If the public insists on cheap seats, then that is what they get. I don't see any flood of posts by people saying, 'comfort is my first priority, not price. I will pay whatever I need to pay for comfort.' Instead they prioritize price and then COMPLAIN about comfort but aren't willing to pay for it. Imagine if you will someone insisting on buying a base model car and then complaining that it didn't come with air conditioning. What would you be saying to them?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:01 am

I recline on long flights but sometimes not on short flights
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Well, first, I think people need to acknowledge that air travel is no different than any other form of public transportation today. It's a bus with wings to put it simply. So having said that, people need to manage their expectations as to what they can get for the price they paid. If you choose to fly in Y, you get very little indeed for your money, as is appropriate given that you paid very little for it. I leave it to those who fly Y to argue over whether reclining 2 inches which is as much as most will recline now, is a major point worth arguing over or not.

I will no longer fly in Y since seat pitch went from 34-36 inches to 30 inches and sometimes even less. Perhaps some posters are not old enough to remember back to when seat pitch was 36 inches in Y and funnily enough, no one was bothered by whether or not the person in front of you reclined their seat or not. The seat could be reclined and it was the passenger's right to do so at any time other than take-off and landing. This whole ISSUE of recline or not did not EXIST. When flying in Premium type classes now, you get that same 36 inch pitch and no need to think about reclining or not, you do as you please and bother no one.

That someone is 6'4" is not anyone else's problem, it's SOLELY the problem of that tall person who bought a seat without enough room to accommodate their height. Buy more space if you need it. Otherwise, put up with what you bought, without trying to say someone else should accommodate you. The same applies to those who cannot comfortably fit in the ridiculous 17" wide seats in Y these days. Overflowing into the adjoining seats is not something you should be doing. Buy a wider seat, they are available. Reading comments about 'I am 6'4" and people should be considerate towards me', is ridiculous. You bought the cheapest seat on the bus, that was your choice, live with it and stop whining.

The people get what the people deserve as always. If the public insists on cheap seats, then that is what they get. I don't see any flood of posts by people saying, 'comfort is my first priority, not price. I will pay whatever I need to pay for comfort.' Instead they prioritize price and then COMPLAIN about comfort but aren't willing to pay for it. Imagine if you will someone insisting on buying a base model car and then complaining that it didn't come with air conditioning. What would you be saying to them?
I could be paying £363 for a seat in Economy from Heathrow to Edinburgh tomorrow or I could pay £491 for the privilege of a seat with a table next to it and some food and drink yet my 6ft6 legs will still be in the same space as someone paying £58 for the privilege so it’s not all down to costs.

But it as long as people want low lead in fares and BA want to lure these people in with cheap seats the less and less legroom we will get.

The exceptiontin is the E190s to/from LCY currently the best legroom in Europe in my opinion.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
I usually recline about halfway because I have trouble sitting straight up (I have an L4 to S1 fusion in my spine, so it doesn't really do well at a complete right angle between spine and pelvis) - and then I shove a rolled-up small towel (which I always carry) behind me. I unfortunately can't do much about this and have definitely had people recline all the way into me - which is their right.

I make sure when I fly that I'm not in a row where reclining is not possible, and I'm on the aisle where I can get up frequently as well.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
I had some clown recline 30 seconds from landing, with wheels down recently.
I'm fairly ambivalent about reclining normally, but for idiots like that? No.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:31 am

If I need to sleep on short haul, I always recline as I find it more comfortable for a nap. I do not ask: as others have said, it's a feature of the seat. However, I am careful to do it very slowly, as I would hate to catch the passenger behind me by surprise (and potentially damage a laptop).

For people who can't stand others reclining into "their" space and don't have access to row 1, on most aircrafts on short haul (A320/A321) there is the simple solution of paying for the second exit row: either there is empty space in front (A321) or the first exit row does not recline for security purposes (A320).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.