Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To recline or not to recline that is the question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club

I think I already know how this is going to go.

So Mrs Colnic2011 really does not like people reclining who are in front (Usually because when we fly as a family we have 2 year old colnic2011 with us and she is easier to manage with that extra little bit space) To be fair as I am a more regular flyer and I have mixed views.

My normal schedule is HEL > LHR > EDI I fly a mixture of ET and CE about 50/50. I myself am not a recliner for the simple reason I am 6ft 4 and I know the discomfort it can sometimes cause me if somebody fully reclines so I choose not to recline as I wouldn't want to cause discomfort to another passenger.

I try when flying in CE to get row 1 or in ET to get the exit row to avoid being reclined on. But this is not always possible.

Interested to see your opinions. And go easy on me if you are a full recliner its just opinions I'm asking for I'm not telling you that you shouldn't recline.

Oh and while you are here I'm Flying WTP next week LGW > MCO does the extra space make a big difference or is it just more of a reason for the recliners to do their thing?

Cheers,

Colnic2011
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
At 6’3”, I don’t like people reclining into me, so I try hard to avoid reclining. (Of course, when squeezed from the front, I sometimes need to make space by reclining ever so slightly. But, I really try hard to limit this to the minimum needed.)

I hate to say it, but I think reclining is a relic of a bygone era when the airplanes actually had space to allow it...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities
At 6’3”, I don’t like people reclining into me, so I try hard to avoid reclining. (Of course, when squeezed from the front, I sometimes need to make space by reclining ever so slightly. But, I really try hard to limit this to the minimum needed.)

I hate to say it, but I think reclining is a relic of a bygone era when the airplanes actually had space to allow it...
Agreed, and on a separate point I really wish they would make CE better as well I'd rather have somebody sat next to me with extra space at my legs than extra space beside me and the same as ET at my legs.
TheJayHatch and davm666 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Two easy decision-making methods, should you wish to recline:

One is to only recline when the one behind you does. That way, it should be relatively guilt-free (after all, the one behind, who will be affected by you, has chosen to affect the one behind him/her, so he/she can't really have a strong feeling about you reclining into him/her, unless he/she is terribly selfish, in which case they don't deserve much of your consideration ).

Two, is to outright ask the one behind you. Those who really have a genuine reason why they find it difficult to have someone recline into them (e.g. tall person whose knees would be seriously impacted, or holding a lap child) should hopefully be assertive enough to politely ask you to refrain.

I don't recline on short haul flights even if I want to sleep any more, with the very occasional exception of the Method One above. Two reasons - the most important one being that, I don't want to be woken up to put my seat upright minutes before landing - every minute of sleep counts, and it cuts into my sleep time!
Two, I genuinely don't want to encroach into the space of the people behind me when it's already tight.

P.S. Long haul seats where no-one would be affected by my reclining: definitely reclining it whenever I want/am allowed, although much of the time I fall asleep before getting around to doing so.

PPS if I am seated behind you, which is somewhat unlikely, go ahead and recline (preferably not during the meal though), as long as you do it gently. In all likelihood I would not even notice because I would probably be asleep, and If I am awake, I usually have my laptop on my knees in anything but row 1 in case someone suddenly reclines their seat and damages my laptop. I say slowly please, because you never know what the person behind you is doing unless you have eyes on the back of your head. Once, I was picking something from my bag and someone violently reclined, bashing my head. It wasn’t very nice!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 17, 2018 at 3:15 pm Reason: Clarifications + dodgy spelling etc.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Two easy decision-making methods:

One is to only recline when the one behind you does. That way, it should be relatively guilt-free (after all, the one behind, who will be affected you, has chosen to affect the one behind him/her, so he/she can't really have a strong feeling about you reclining into him/her, unless he/she is terribly selfish, in which case they don't deserve much of your consideration ).

Two, is to outright ask the one behind you. Those who really have a genuine reason why they find it difficult to have someone recline into you (e.g. tall person whose knees would be seriously impacted, or holding a lap child) should hopefully be assertive enough to politely ask you to refrain.

I don't recline on short haul flights even if I sleep. Two reasons - one, I don't want to be woken up to put my seat upright (this is pretty important to me!), and two, I don't want to encroach into the space of the people behind me when it's already tight.
I like this view, and agree with all the points you have made here.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I personally don't recline.

Having said that, it is a feature of the seat. So anyone who chooses to recline is in their full right to do so. It falls in the same category as screaming children, snoring, swearing & cyber flashing. If I can no longer deal with these things it's time to not leave the house anymore.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I rarely recline when travelling ET, but it is my right to do so. I always try to warn the person sitting behind that I am about to do so, and might even apologise for the fact that I am about to do so, but don't seek their permission. The seats are designed to recline.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I generally don’t recline as per the other posters. I’m 6’3” and know the impact it can cause. At least the newer ET seats don’t recline too far, so even if the person in front of me does do so then it not as bad as it used to be. I like it when there is no passenger behind me so I can do so with abandon - but spare seats are pretty rare. On the very odd occasion, I’ll mention to the person behind so they can move their laptop, stop their drink from tipping etc
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
I don’t usually recline in ET, in fact almost never, but if the seat allows it I see no reason not to do so. I do recline in WT to sleep and wouldn’t be able to sleep without it so really don’t see the problem. If there isn’t the room to recline the airline should disable the functionality not rely on people’s opinions on whether this is okay or not...

I agree it’s not great when the person in front of me reclines but they are completely entitled to do so.
AnaTravel and Colnic2011 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Short haul, never, unless there's no one behind me.

Long haul yes, always, but I always say to the person behind or if they are snoozing I do it very slowly. However, during meal times I always put the seat right up and sometimes have to politely say to the person in front to put their seat up, or more often than not gesture to the CC to ask the person to do it.

Saying that, since I have been Gold I have the option to select exit seats which in itself is a great benefit to have and which eliminates the latter part of my statement above.

As for the WTP, which I was in last week to HKG on the A380 and is my usual choice of cabin, there's plenty of room for others to recline and it does make a big difference for a usually small price difference.

Previous threads for info

Seat reclining during take-off: rules and etiquette question

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/808742-seat-reclining-during-take-off-rules-etiquette-question.html

Pete
Colnic2011 likes this.

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 17, 2018 at 1:15 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Short haul, no, ever, unless empty seat behind - I hate it being done to me.... yet, I am one of those who has to have the blind a wee bit open when it's light outside because I'm a bit claustrophobic. I guess it's the same as seat reclining - the blind is meant to go up, just as the seat is meant to recline and we all have different tolerance levels.
G-BUSI and Colnic2011 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:10 am

I don't recline, the only exception being if the person in front reclines back. If it becomes necessary I don't get into discussion or debate with other travellers.

Increasingly airlines seem to be avoiding 'recliner wars' by installing fixed (non recline) seating for short haul, I imagine BA will do the same at some point.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Long haul yes, I just recline slowly.
Short haul, really depends but normally not.
LostAntipod and Colnic2011 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not for me under any circumstances!
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by simons1
Increasingly airlines seem to be avoiding 'recliner wars' by installing fixed (non recline) seating for short haul, I imagine BA will do the same at some point.
BA already have - the ironing boards installed in rows 13 on on the NEOs (GTTNA-E or perhaps F now) do not recline, nor have head rests or, it seems, padding. I’m fortunate enough to not have travelled in them, but they do appear to take comfort down to a lowest common denominator.
Colnic2011 likes this.

Last edited by TheJayHatch; Nov 17, 2018 at 2:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.