Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the most tier points you have seen / gained?

What's the most tier points you have seen / gained?

Old Nov 16, 18, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist View Post
And for miscounting the zeroes...
I note that the erstwhite c-w-s is keeping quiet on this thread himself...

I am surprised how many people have lives that live mainly in the air, and I may be somewhat jealous. But keeping those Avios flowing is a fun challenge... I keep spending them :-(
Old Nov 16, 18, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mtikky View Post
I am surprised how many people have lives that live mainly in the air, and I may be somewhat jealous. But keeping those Avios flowing is a fun challenge... I keep spending them
We try to cherish them ... a 2-4-1 to ZA in CW doesn't come cheap!

But Avii arrive in many ways, thanks to the BA Amex PP.
mtikky likes this.
Old Nov 16, 18, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
Avios definitely disappear more quickly than they are earned, especially if you are doing a full-blown redemption rather than just using them to upgrade. I recently redeemed 70,000 Avios on two return trips LAS - SEA - ANK / ANK - PDX - LAS as the cash price was absolutely ridiculous, along with a further 30,000 for a LAS - PHX return for two on the same basis.

I think I had something in the region of 500k Avios at one point but nowadays the balance is usually considerably lower. Earnings are down too mainly due to buying AA tickets rather than BA. As a result you don't get the cabin bonus, although - again - the cash savings were significant.
Old Nov 16, 18, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
...At NATS, my Boss let me go at lunchtime on Friday to drive to W-s-m, on the basis I always got in early and never took lunch breaks during the week.
Careful! People will talk!
WSM
T8191, rapidex and woglet86 like this.
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
I can't bring myself to spend Avios on long haul flights when the cash price is so cheap! Seems silly, I know, but I guess I'm just an Avios hoarder. They're great for last minute domestics or jaunts into Europe though, often saving me 200-300 on a short flight.
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UAMP Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
I can't bring myself to spend Avios on long haul flights when the cash price is so cheap! Seems silly, I know, but I guess I'm just an Avios hoarder. They're great for last minute domestics or jaunts into Europe though, often saving me 200-300 on a short flight.
Totally agree. That's how I use them. Being Gold also opens up extra seats and I must say BA has been great here. I managed to fly home in an emergency to see my family booking a same day flight with just 4k avios and 17 pounds, for a ticket that was otherwise priced at 300+ pounds. Enormous value.

Long haul is a rip off in my experience.
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by frandrake View Post
Long haul is a rip off in my experience.
Apologies but I don't understand this argument, or that premium cabin LH are cheap?
I mean i know that taxes are relatively high, but still, way cheaper all in all than purchasing the whole trip in cash.
We pretty much only spend AVIOS on LH trips, LAX to Europe. We are 4 and a trip like that in CW would easily be between $12k and $18k vs what we spend in AVIOS and two companion vouchers. A recent trip to Milan came down to about 250k and $4500 with four people flying CW.
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
I believe 24k and change TP's was the highest for the year in 2013 from a good source I trust and the person that shared that info had 22k TP that year IIRC. Can you imagine being second place with that total?

EDIT: I should add, before everyone jumps the gun and assumes it was c-w-s, it wasn't. Rack your brain around that. We have lurker(s) or at least posters that are very, very humble (god forbid it was someone not on FT with that kind of TP's!) that amass ridiculous TP totals...

Not sure if inflation has increased the highest total in the years since then...likely.

Definitely more than a handful on here that do10k plus, without exception the most humble, nicest people I have come across in an airport, how they manage that without losing their sanity let alone their kind, patient manners is beyond this mere mortal.

I was chuffed when I hit proper gold a couple of years (after being Euro Gold for a few before that).

Safe travels everyone.

Last edited by BotB; Nov 16, 18 at 3:51 pm Reason: adding that it wasn't c-w-s!
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I know one regular BA flyer who hasn't a Scooby about tier points or Avios.
Old Nov 16, 18, 4:04 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Thanks for your insightful comment
Old Nov 16, 18, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'm one of those typically Y travellers... Have been doing some W and J this year too, to top up.
Within seven months to the day (on the 8th Nov anyway) I've done 81 flights (not all BA - I inadvertently hit VS Silver without meaning to) and precisely 3990TP.
Current outlook for my April 8th 2019 year end is in and around 5600+TP I think, helped along by some personal J/F, admittedly.
Next year I'll burn my CCR card as much as possible as it'll be the one year I'll ever possess one I suspect.
Already redeemed Avios LON-TYO in F for April 2019 and have enough left for LON-ORD in J summer 2019, plus SYD for two in F early 2020, utilising vouchers and jokers (that's the plan, anyway!), so it'll be my cash-in 12 months.
Having done this much flying I can see how huge TPs are possible - if much of mine was earning in CE, CW and F (which it wasn't!) then I can't quite imagine the total points count.
I wonder what the world record count is (skewed by previous AA earnings no doubt)...!
Old Nov 16, 18, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Is his name Shaggy or her name Wilma?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 16, 18, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Just why would you want to spend so much of your life in a metal tube .... ??
To be fair, some people even make a career out of spending this much time in a metal tube e.g. CIHY, MFCC et al.
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Takiteasy View Post

Thanks for your insightful comment
Yes it probably came over as facetious to those that know me...I shall try to clarify.

Status and miles are uppermost in the minds of those who frequent Flyertalk so it can sometimes be hard for us to recognise that not everyone who flies regularly has the same mentality.
For instance, my wife's Madrid based cousin is a very well respected aviation journalist who flies a lot for work as well as in his own time.Yet to my knowledge, status or miles do not concern him....he could be a closet collector of both right enough.
He does love dogs though (now there's a clue to his identity to those that know him) which is alright in my book.
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:35 pm

Do you think BA would give Premier to the #1 most frequent flier?

Search this Thread