Wiki Posts
Search

G-YMMT Damaged at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
G-YMMT Damaged at YYZ

Was on yesterday's 93 and although we landed early it took quite awhile for the jetty operator to manouevre the jetty to the door. Lots of bumping and moving of the plane which was unusual. Saw that the return 92 was cancelled and then saw this:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=217826

It always seems to be a problem getting the jetty lined up at YYZ or even operated in a timely fashion. Have seen some almost comedic efforts here on arriving BA flights but never one with the aircraft being repeatedly bumped like this time. Whomever is their YYZ ground handler might need to smarten up if BA hands them the bill for this one though
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
I was booked on the 92, it was a zoo with everybody at check in for rebooking! All they said at check in was that it ' went tech!' Made it home via CDG with AF. I was a bit miffed as the lady at F check in had offered me business class direct to AMS on KLM but then the ticket desk refused to process an upgrade and routed me AF in W instead.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Did they offer everybody flights that night or were some rebooked today? 93 is delayed by about 5.5 hrs today and it's starting to snow so 92 will be massively delayed today as well. Can't really blame BA in this instance because the ground operator screwed up
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Oh so they are down a 3 class 777 - maybe my upcoming BKK will benefit from a switch to something more appealing.
bmb7jiw likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chris9642
Oh so they are down a 3 class 777 - maybe my upcoming BKK will benefit from a switch to something more appealing.
G-VIIS is operating 92/93 now. Still has 48 J but even if they open up F they are going to be 50 seats short if they are full flights
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Was on yesterday's 93 and although we landed early it took quite awhile for the jetty operator to manouevre the jetty to the door. Lots of bumping and moving of the plane which was unusual. Saw that the return 92 was cancelled and then saw this:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=217826

It always seems to be a problem getting the jetty lined up at YYZ or even operated in a timely fashion. Have seen some almost comedic efforts here on arriving BA flights but never one with the aircraft being repeatedly bumped like this time. Whomever is their YYZ ground handler might need to smarten up if BA hands them the bill for this one though
i was on that flight too. The airbridge hit the side of the plane with an almighty bang and I did wonder if it had caused damage. Lots of high vis people looking anxious outside (I didn’t see Alex though!). For some reason they seemed to have a real problem lining up correctly with the door and it took several attempts. Hope all passengers on the cancelled 92 got back ok.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

A lot less serious but when I flew into Toronto last year it took about 10mins to get the airbridge connected as it went to the wrong door at first ( mistaking the 788 for our 789)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Seems like a bit of a reoccurring theme at YYZ from the reports here !

BA might need to look at the ground handling operation they are paying for !

i certainly wouldn’t fancy being downgraded if I later found out that the handlers had form
for it.

I assume that they will try and claim exceptional circumstances for downgrades. Delays etc ?

cs
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
BA might need to look at the ground handling operation they are paying for !
Could possibly the Airbridges themselves and not entirely the operators fault. Terminal 2 Airbridges at MAN years ago were notorious for their enthusiastic embracing of the aircraft fuselage. Eventually the airport admitted there were issues with the Bridges and had them completely rewired.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wythy
Could possibly the Airbridges themselves and not entirely the operators fault. Terminal 2 Airbridges at MAN years ago were notorious for their enthusiastic embracing of the aircraft fuselage. Eventually the airport admitted there were issues with the Bridges and had them completely rewired.
I have been on BA flights to YYZ where the jetty has been moving from almost 1L then back to 2L then back to almost 1L then they give up and go to 1L. Also many times when the CX flight that used to land a few minutes behind 93 and roll up to their gate while this nonsense was going on. They would disembark first and anyone who goes through YYZ T3 Immigration knows it only takes a couple of widebodies and a bunch of sun destination WestJet flights to turn the hall into a gong show going all the way up the escalators. Never seem to have the jetty problem on KL or WJ flights I've come into YYZ T3 like I consistently do with BA. Not blaming BA except that they need to get their ground handling ops in line
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Ouch. That's going to take more than speed tape to fix.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I'm assuming the ground agent would be liable for repairing the damage?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I believe e a BA Captain twweeted thst it looked like a pierced frame so wouldn’t be able to be flown home unpressurised.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Wow, that looks quite bad. The fact that the damage is where it is shows how out of control the bridge must have been - I mean that's a metre or two left of the door. It must have been going at quite a speed and at the wrong angle to do that sort of damage. I've never really looked closely, but aren't there bumpers or something on the end of the bridge to prevent a piercing injury like this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.