JFK ... staff issues - just a one off ?

Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
JFK ... staff issues - just a one off ?

Recently, on a flight from JFK -> LHR I had surreal interactions at T7 from checkin to lounge with 3 BA staff - all of which were surly, short and not at all Customer centric in tone, attitude and delivery.
I dont think it was me - saw others equally treated.

This is not my normal experience at JFK, normally its average to good - anyone else noticed a recent attitude change ? Or just me ... in which case Ill put it down to a bad day and move on.

Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Your post is very generic so may I be the first to ask, a genuine question really, can you go into some detail about what actually happened in your interactions?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Same with me... well, there was one quite friendly and helpful guy on the lounge entrance who helped me tracking my transfer bags with AA. But when I went back to find him again to get an update, he had gone, so I asked his colleague... who snapped at me and suggested I ask the original guy instead but she had no idea where he had gone.

My usual experience in the USA to be honest, if they're not working the fake customer service thing to get tips.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
BA staff in the US can be... variable but people also have different expectations and thresholds for customer service. Personally I don't care whether staff are polite, short or even slightly rude, as long as they're competent and efficient. In my experience the BA staff at JFK and IAD are generally competent, even if not always jovial. Was there any problem with the service or was it simply the way it was delivered?
Yachtman likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Had about the worst experience I ever have had in terms of rudeness with a T7 F (wing?) check-in agent on the day flight a few months ago. Literally at one point in response to trying to get my wife’s seat with a bassinet on the same DECK as my seat (due to a BA screw up that separated us) she snapped “I don’t have time for this.” (The lounge agent who ultimately fixed the problem was far nicer). But I think the reputation for JFK as a superstar BA station is undeserved. IAD actually wins in my book for nicest staff (shocking considering the people who work for UA at that airport).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Isn't it true that all of this staff is now outsourced?

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by skippythelizard
Isn't it true that all of this staff is now outsourced?

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff
i was going to say the same. All the staff is now outsourced so I imagine many of the veterans are gone. Why have loyalty to an organisation that have none to you. Lowest bidding contracts for the win!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
I had completely the opposite experience on Monday at JFK; every member of staff I dealt with from - pavement to plane, including the F check in and lounge servers - was an absolute delight.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer

i was going to say the same. All the staff is now outsourced so I imagine many of the veterans are gone. Why have loyalty to an organisation that have none to you. Lowest bidding contracts for the win!
yep last impression was very rent a uniform operation. Weird way to run over 10% of BAs ticket sales by ignoring the value of recognising regulars - something nyc restaurants do so well. Using the analogy BA jfk now more Pizza Hut than Four Seasons.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
Apologies for the lack of detail I have no wish to get staff disciplined for poor attitude when weve all had bad days. Its also not been my regular experience at JFK but this was a noticeable difference from previous visits from 3 separate staff / conversations.

An example would be this very flat response - and by no means the worst...

Me: no smiles today?
Dead pan and reply why woiuld I smile, I work for BA

If it was just my experience then Ill leave it be - and if it happens again, Ill escalate - I just wondered if anyone else felf the same change in attitude I have experienced.

Cabin crew on the flight were fantastic.

Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by TheBigRat
Me: “ no smiles today? “

Possibly not the best way to start a conversation.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by polochick

Possibly not the best way to start a conversation.
Agreed, not sure Id respond well to that question in the wrong circumstances, but then probably good reason why I dont deal with customers.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club

Just to to add my 2 cents to this. If you're a man, never say this to a woman you don't know. Unless you're a black cab driver or market trader, where it could be considered part of your "patter", it's pretty condescending and even from those guys it's mildly annoying.

Bob
flygirl68, armouredant, SK and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Apologies for the lack of detail I have no wish to get staff disciplined for poor attitude when weve all had bad days. Its also not been my regular experience at JFK but this was a noticeable difference from previous visits from 3 separate staff / conversations.

An example would be this very flat response - and by no means the worst...

If it was just my experience then Ill leave it be - and if it happens again, Ill escalate - I just wondered if anyone else felf the same change in attitude I have experienced.

Cabin crew on the flight were fantastic.

You were asking for it. Not exactly a smooth way to start a conversation, in my opinion.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold

If I was that staff member Id be annoyed with your opening line. As for escalating, thats just stupid. You open a conversation with a statement likely to irritate, and then complain that it doesnt get you good customer service?! I think your expectations and interactions could do with adjustment.
armouredant likes this.

Last edited by Shuttle_Endeavour; Nov 18, 2018 at 2:27 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.