JFK ... staff issues - just a one off ?

Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MGUK
I have never experienced these when asking for a reprint of a boarding pass (not talking about the ID check). One has to take a lot from the TSA staff, most of us just get on with it. But are these the standards we should accept as a norm at the BA First Class check-in at JFK? From what LondonElite suggesting, yes.
I have experienced these questions occasionally - though luckily the underlying boarding pass issue for PreCheck is now fixed. Personally I think if the staff ask a few straightforward and entirely predictable questions, which only takes a few seconds, it's probably best to hold off reminding them how to do their job. Particularly when you are correct! The alternative is DYKWIA by any meaning of the phrase. Instead a smile, some self deprecation and a helpful disposition will make the experience more pleasant for both you and the staff, as well as faster. In particular I don't see what value your parting shot would be - and doing it in an amicable fashion is no excuse - other than for DYKWIA purposes. And they have seen it all before - welcome to New York. It's not entirely surprising some staff react badly if this [thread general content] is the sort of behaviour they have to handle.

The whole point of hefty status is that you really, truly don't need to remind anyone of how frequent a traveller you are.
SK likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GFL/GGL/CCR, SPG Plat for Life, HHDiamond, xG Aegean, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have experienced these questions occasionally - though luckily the underlying boarding pass issue for PreCheck is now fixed. Personally I think if the staff ask a few straightforward and entirely predictable questions, which only takes a few seconds, it's probably best to hold off reminding them how to do their job. Particularly when you are correct! The alternative is DYKWIA by any meaning of the phrase. Instead a smile, some self deprecation and a helpful disposition will make the experience more pleasant for both you and the staff, as well as faster. In particular I don't see what value your parting shot would be - and doing it in an amicable fashion is no excuse - other than for DYKWIA purposes. And they have seen it all before - welcome to New York. It's not entirely surprising some staff react badly if this [thread general content] is the sort of behaviour they have to handle.

The whole point of hefty status is that you really, truly don't need to remind anyone of how frequent a traveller you are.
Point taken. Thank you.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Had a very similar experience on the 17th...

Have always disliked JFK as an outstation, both as crew working and as a passenger.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Cast your mind back to A Very British Airline. Alan I believe and his young English protege... this was only 5 years ago how things change. Yet only last night Sn Cruz was celebrating with top performing staff at a London hotel for an above and beyond event... really do wonder what this guys game is.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MGUK
On a recent visit, I had a likewise unpleasant exchange with a check-in agent at the F section at JFK T7.
All I was asking of the agent was to print a traditional boarding pass (the BA electronic passes do not display "TSA Pre-Check").

The agent then started to ask me some unusual security questions, apparently due to the fact that I was seated in 63A.
I said I had already answered those questions electronically when checking in on-line.

Apparently I had to be asked them in person or my boarding pass would not be issued.
Well, I said that I already had the boarding pass issued in my phone. Had I not wanted the Pre-Check-valid paper boarding pass, I wouldn't have even stopped by the check-in desk.
Sorry, but no sympathy here. How long would it have taken you to answer the questions? Sure, you already had a boarding pass in your phone. But you wanted another. Are you truly surprised that the questions must be answered whenever a boarding pass is issued?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.