Wiki Posts
Search

Purchased J seat via Amex Travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Purchased J seat via Amex Travel

I purchased a J seat via Amex Travel but the website isn't allowing be to upgrade to F with Avios or indeed provide me a quote for a cash upgrade - the message is to contact Amex.

Before I call BA, is there anything I should be prepared for? What are my options here?

Thanks!!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The message is standard online here, travel agent bookings can be upgraded using Avios (UuA) by calling BA, but the devil is in the details. Is it a BA ticket? No other non BA flights on it? Is it a public fare (i.e. not a corporate Amex deal?). But the start point is to find out if there is conventional Avios availability for a redemption into First, since UuA comes from the same bucket. There is a bit more in the Stickies about UuA. Cash upgrades, on the other hand, must be handled by Amex, until T-24 before the BA flight, when you may get an offer at online check-in. That doesn't happen so often, since those who bought via BA.com will have had first dibs at this. If you approach Amex for an upgrade, it won't be at a special price, merely the fare difference and plus a potential change fee.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
Piggybacking on here; if I have a BA-only ticket booked via Amex, and there is reward availability, can I upgrade using a GUF2 online, or via Amex, or via BA?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by armouredant
Piggybacking on here; if I have a BA-only ticket booked via Amex, and there is reward availability, can I upgrade using a GUF2 online, or via Amex, or via BA?
On a 125-.. ticket and with only BA flights you can apply a GUF for a TA booking. As you have already made the booking you will need to contact BA by phone (not AMEX) to apply the GUF.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
On a 125-.. ticket and with only BA flights you can apply a GUF for a TA booking. As you have already made the booking you will need to contact BA by phone (not AMEX) to apply the GUF.
And if I haven't made the booking yet, could I apply it while booking with Amex, or do I still have to book with Amex, then apply the GUF by calling BA?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by armouredant
And if I haven't made the booking yet, could I apply it while booking with Amex, or do I still have to book with Amex, then apply the GUF by calling BA?
If you haven't made it yet then you can apply the GUF through the TA - not sure how good AMEX are at doing it tho, some TAs don't like to do it. The advantage is that you don't need reward space doing it that way. The TA needs to apply the GUF at the time of booking.

Have a look at the guide as well BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Do you need to use Amex? Ie is it a corporate office on work travel or through a card. Only reason I ask is that the GUF is much better used before ticketing by the TA as then they can use revenue space rather than award space.

Note the the rules regarding only BA flights on the booking.

If if you have flexibility there are some agencies that are experienced on GUFs. I had a number of years long fall out with Amex SE over their refusal to GUF and the BS reasons that they gave which I put down to laziness. ESP, as BA SE sakes office offered to walk the ticketing agent through it and do most of the work.

KF
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for explaining my options. Not the news I wanted to hear of course - I have set up EF alerts but the seats are steadily filling up for the flight and I am not too hopeful of any availability opening up which is why I was thinking of the cash options - but looks like nothing to do but wait till the final 24 hours since I don't want to pay Amex $7500.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The message is standard online here, travel agent bookings can be upgraded using Avios (UuA) by calling BA, but the devil is in the details. Is it a BA ticket? No other non BA flights on it? Is it a public fare (i.e. not a corporate Amex deal?). But the start point is to find out if there is conventional Avios availability for a redemption into First, since UuA comes from the same bucket. There is a bit more in the Stickies about UuA. Cash upgrades, on the other hand, must be handled by Amex, until T-24 before the BA flight, when you may get an offer at online check-in. That doesn't happen so often, since those who bought via BA.com will have had first dibs at this. If you approach Amex for an upgrade, it won't be at a special price, merely the fare difference and plus a potential change fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.