Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Business on AA's 777 herringbone or BA 747 upperdeck hoping for an upgrade to F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business on AA's 777 herringbone or BA 747 upperdeck hoping for an upgrade to F?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
For me this would depend on whether you can get rows 62 or 64 A/K on the 747. Being tall and just wanting to sleep, 62k was great. That said the 77w seat is also great.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
+1 for AA J from MIA overnight. Particularly if I'm travelling alone as I'm not a big fan of the BA yin-yang with a stranger, UD or not. Avoid the small front J cabin because of the torrent of air conditioning noise, and eat in the lounge before boarding to maximise sleep. FWIW my last couple of AA flights had great crew.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
+1 for AA J from MIA overnight. Particularly if I'm travelling alone as I'm not a big fan of the BA yin-yang with a stranger, UD or not. Avoid the small front J cabin because of the torrent of air conditioning noise, and eat in the lounge before boarding to maximise sleep. FWIW my last couple of AA flights had great crew.
ive never had an issue with the air conditioning noise when in the AA 77W minicabin. 3D/G are my go to seats when traveling with my wife back to the UK, though this Christmas, I deliberately opted for CW in the UD as i’ve yet to experienced that particular option.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire mainly
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
ive never had an issue with the air conditioning noise when in the AA 77W minicabin. 3D/G are my go to seats when traveling with my wife back to the UK, though this Christmas, I deliberately opted for CW in the UD as i’ve yet to experienced that particular option.
Just arrived on AA 39 in MIA the other day and was sat in 4G. The A/C noise was really deafening. That said, the seat was still very good and too me at least beats the CW seat. The larger cabin does not suffer from the A/C noise issue and you get somewhat more attentive service in my experience.

I haven't regretted my choice of AA on night flights to LHR from MIA. Even with a slightly less competent crew, they get the Express meal out quite quickly. The other option, as stated earlier in the thread, is to skip the meal entirely and eat in the new Flagship lounge, which has a very decent spread of options.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've gone for AA on both outbound (I need the WiFi as I'll be working) and inbound. I've realised that I favour privacy over anything else.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

I'm not sure if this is a setting which is adjusted, and I've been unlucky, but on my two occasions in the mini J cabin the AC has been at a roar for the entire flight. I've seen it mentioned on here by others as well (I think by @corporate-wage-slave himself at one point), so I assumed it was ever present.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by ringingup
I've gone for AA on both outbound (I need the WiFi as I'll be working) and inbound. I've realised that I favour privacy over anything else.
Should definitely gone for BA then, the AA seat is not particularly private.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Should definitely gone for BA then, the AA seat is not particularly private.
Certainly more private than CW, which involves facing a stranger and possibly jumping over another stranger depending on the seat.

The seat on the 77W has lugs at the top, giving privacy from the person to the side of you.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
I'm not sure if this is a setting which is adjusted, and I've been unlucky, but on my two occasions in the mini J cabin the AC has been at a roar for the entire flight. I've seen it mentioned on here by others as well (I think by @corporate-wage-slave himself at one point), so I assumed it was ever present.
I think the noise in the AA 77W mini J cabin is from the galley fans rather than the cabin A/C, hence why it’s not an issue in the main J cabin. I still prefer the mini cabin, so solve it with noise cancelling headphones when awake, and it hasn’t prevented me sleeping on night flights.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by ringingup

Certainly more private than CW, which involves facing a stranger and possibly jumping over another stranger depending on the seat.

The seat on the 77W has lugs at the top, giving privacy from the person to the side of you.
If the 'feeling' of privacy is what you're after, then the AA seat will provide it with the 'lugs' that stop you seeing into the cabin, making it feel like your coccooned off. In reality anyone walking past has a full view of you and what youre up to, what you're watching, what youre eating, so actual privacy is basically zero.

In a BA window, yes you may have to look at someone else of 20-30 mins at the start of the flight, after that with the screen up, youre completely cocooned off. Having to step over someone in no way infringes on your privacy.

Once you have the seat down on AA, you may find yourself feeling a bit exposed to the aisle, as your head is basically in it and certainly completely visible to anyone working past.

This pic shows it off well, its obviously take from a bit higher up than the average pax's eye level but you can see that everyone walking by can see you and when the seat is in bed mode, your head is as exposed as a BA aisle seat

I like the AA seat, it has a number of big advantages over the BA seat, 'actual' privacy (against a BA window) is not one one however

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Nov 18, 2018 at 5:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.