Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Business on AA's 777 herringbone or BA 747 upperdeck hoping for an upgrade to F?

Business on AA's 777 herringbone or BA 747 upperdeck hoping for an upgrade to F?

Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

What would you choose for an overnight TATL from MIA?

I would normally favour AA's seat to CW, but the UD is not too bad and - if avios availability opens up - an upgrade to First would be nice.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Avios F availability from MIA is almost non-existent, so I wouldn't book with that in mind. I currently have a booking in CW from MIA in a couple of weeks that is F9 A9 I9 E9 G9 O9 with just one seat currently pre-selected in F, and there is still no Z class available.

As for AA Biz vs BA B744 UD, you seem like you know the seat and airlines well enough to be able to make that decision based on your personal preference. Apart from the flight I just mentioned which was booked on BA due to the late timing, I would take AA, their main drawbacks of long noisy service, brightly lit cabins etc are more critical on the super-short overnights from the US Northeast but at least MIA is long enough that you should get some sleep anyway despite their attempts to stop you. If you are able to sleep fine in the CW seat and want the lights off quiet of the UD then go with BA.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I quite like the timing of BA208. It helps me with jet lag and as above, you'd be more likely to get a quiet environment.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I quite like the timing of BA208. It helps me with jet lag and as above, you'd be more likely to get a quiet environment.
The timing would be perfect for me too, but I'm not convinced by CW on the A380...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've found if you have eye shades and don't choose a seat by the galley, AA is actually better for shut-eye out of MIA - ask for the Express Meal and it will come very quickly and then you can rest; and they ask whether you want to be woken for breakfast or not (NO!)...

I'd take AA if it's the 777-300 you;'re talking about here - especially if you can get Row 3 in the mini-cabin
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by ringingup
The timing would be perfect for me too, but I'm not convinced by CW on the A380...
Ah of course, A380. The last time I took this flight in CW it was a 744 (though I did it in F on the A380 in December). I know what you mean about the seat; I often sleep on my front and width is better on AA. Having said that, the privacy is great in a CW window seat (especially if you can grab 53A/K) and you will have longer to sleep if you can drift off.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Overnight I would go all the way AA as I prefer their seat and the aisle access. If it was a day flight, I would have preferred CW due to better service and f&b.

but, as always, a very personal point of view.

As per the upgrade, I would not bet on it honestly...
gustavmahler and ringingup like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
AA 777 over BA 747 J any day.
My favorite is the 772 with the super diamond seats, followed by the 773, and then finally the 772 zodiac.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
Same equipment flies JFK-LHR, and on that route I strongly prefer the AA J seats over BA CW. I personally don't think the difference between J on AA's 77W and F on BA's 744 is that large, and you have the risk of being stuck in CW.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by ringingup
What would you choose for an overnight TATL from MIA?

I would normally favour AA's seat to CW, but the UD is not too bad and - if avios availability opens up - an upgrade to First would be nice.
AA dayflight. BA nightflight.

Thats my mantra, Im not a hater of the CW seat though
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
I generally prefer the BA 744 UD window seats over AAs 777 seats. This is doubly true if you get 64A/K or 62A/K.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
It's a close call but an UD window seat with direct access just edges it over AAs.
However it's how quick they can get dinner out for you to sleep is the key factor for me and AA can deliver on that front.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
However it's how quick they can get dinner out for you to sleep is the key factor for me and AA can deliver on that front.
Maybe I've just had a string of poor crews on AA (or unusually efficient ones on BA), but my impression is that BAs express meal both arrives quite quickly and also arrives faster than an AA meal. For regular (not express) meal service, I suspect AA is faster. However, this is all just impressions. Next time Im on appropriate flights, Ill need to channel C-W-S and time the service on a stopwatch to get a proper comparison.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I suspect my next TATL might involve AA on one or more legs - haven't flown them for anything bar internals for yonks so I'll be curious....
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another vote for AA, I much prefer the seat and set up to BA, although make sure you leave the Bose headphones somewhere accessible for the cabin crew, otherwise they'll be waking you up to get them.
Cap'n Benj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.