Wiki Posts
Search

BA's lack of cyberflashing policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond
Another Member's Member?

Originally Posted by Temps
Maybe they could have carried out an identification parade to find the perp.
Assuming the perp is a member of BAEC, and he has pics from a friend who is also in the BAEC, he could be sending another Member's Member!

In which case an identification parade would prove fruitless, but almost certainly memorable! Or ever Memberable :P

Seriously though the chat on twitter is NUTS! Nothing to do with BA at all!
LGA and cruisr like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
What a lot of absolute nonsense! Nothing whatsoever to do with BA. If somebody wants to complain they should take this up with the police. Whilst I don't believe there is any specific law against sending lewd pictures to an adult, although it may constitute harassment, it is illegal to send them to somebody under 18 so somebody sending images to random people over Bluetooth could inadvertently find themselves on the sex offenders register.
It is an offence under s127 of the Communications Act 2003.
LondonAndy and SamirD like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I should write to BA to ask for a firm policy on an echidna attacking an anteater in the presence of two platypuses during first three seconds of a take-off roll of a BA-operated flight.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:42 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I should write to BA to ask for a firm policy on an echidna attacking an anteater in the presence of two platypuses during first three seconds of a take-off roll of a BA-operated flight.
No need to go into detail!!!
Stez likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

it’s a user issue in not checking - and adjusting - their settings for their phone features.
Well it would be an Apple issue if the default Airdrop setting were Everyone. I don’t know if it is or isn’t, but it shouldn’t be.

I’ve just checked mine and it’s Contacts only, can’t recall if I set that myself.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:26 am

You get a notification of a photo from a random person and you choose to “accept”. Why?
Why have Bluetooth set so that anyone can see you rather than just your contacts (or your known devices) ?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
One really should refer to platypodes in this case
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Full disclosure: I know the person concerned (recipient not sender!) - not well but I have met her several times, taken classes run by her and have her books. She is not a "snowflake".

However I also struggle with what on earth BA can do in this situation. As far as I know (though I am no tech expert) it's not possible to tell where airdrop images have come from unless the sender has used their real, full name as their device name, and therefore I can't see any way that the cabin crew, or indeed the police should they be summoned, could identify the perpetrator in a plane full of passengers unless he decided to confess. It isn't therefore the same as if the passenger sat next to you starts verbally or physically assaulting you, where at least you and the cabin crew/police know who it is. So even if they had a policy to say they will not tolerate this, how could it be enforced and what good would it do?

I hear this happens a lot on trains too (never yet to me, but for battery saving purposes I only switch airdrop on when I'm actively expecting something). I wonder if any of them have policies on this?

Perhaps though it would be helpful for BA to give the cabin crew some guidance on what to do if this happens - even if that is only to reassure the passenger that they will keep an eye out for any escalation into verbal or physical threats. From what I have heard of this particular incident they were supportive but equally flummoxed and had not had any training that could cover how to respond.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by muscat
You get a notification of a photo from a random person and you choose to “accept”. Why?
Why have Bluetooth set so that anyone can see you rather than just your contacts (or your known devices) ?
She didn't accept them.

From the story:
"Teague, having declined the AirDrop notification on the aircraft, left her seat to inform cabin staff [...]"

And from her own original Twitter about the incident:

(Deleted because I can't work out how to embed tweets without creating a mess of html, but she says she did not accept them.)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (OneWorld Emerald) & Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
She didn't accept them.

From the story:
"Teague, having declined the AirDrop notification on the aircraft, left her seat to inform cabin staff [...]"

And from her own original Twitter about the incident:

(Deleted because I can't work out how to embed tweets without creating a mess of html, but she says she did not accept them.)
If she didn't accept them how does she know it wasn't a cute bunny rabbit pic, saying "Have a nice flight?" Or did she just guess that the pictures would be of a gentleman's lower quarters?
Deltus likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by MileHighFizz
If she didn't accept them how does she know it wasn't a cute bunny rabbit pic, saying "Have a nice flight?" Or did she just guess that the pictures would be of a gentleman's lower quarters?
I believe it shows images as a preview as part of the notification that someone is trying to send you something, like this on the right:

One assumes that the sender's name was something less identifying than the e-mail address in the example above.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by sxc
Should transport for London have a policy on this as well?

(the answer is no)
Does anyone remember reading in the Metro a phase several years ago of "Toothing" (Bluetooth + Dogging) on the Tube? People changed their bluetooth names to something saucy and others would send pics. How anyone could do it privately on a packed tube I don't know, but I thought it had died a death as people kept their bluetooth off to save battery power and with the rise of dating apps.

Makes me wonder though if the woman targeted had a suggestive bluetooth name? I know you can/could change it on Andriod phones, but the prison walled world of apple is a mystery to me.

Like everyone else, I don't know what the woman expected BA to do. I think the crew did a good job dealing with an unknown situation.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by dddc
Does anyone remember reading in the Metro a phase several years ago of "Toothing" (Bluetooth + Dogging) on the Tube? People changed their bluetooth names to something saucy and others would send pics. How anyone could do it privately on a packed tube I don't know, but I thought it had died a death as people kept their bluetooth off to save battery power and with the rise of dating apps.

Makes me wonder though if the woman targeted had a suggestive bluetooth name? I know you can/could change it on Andriod phones, but the prison walled world of apple is a mystery to me.

Like everyone else, I don't know what the woman expected BA to do. I think the crew did a good job dealing with an unknown situation.
In this case, with this person, the answer to that would be "no". Purely a female name (in the same way that mine says "Lucy's iPhone" as the default) which is probably all that someone who wants to inflict unsolicited dick pics on a stranger is looking for.

ETA: regardless, unless your phone's name is literally set to be "Send me dick pics", whatever it might be it is not an invitation to be sent unsolicited dick pics.

Last edited by gingerlucy; Nov 13, 2018 at 7:08 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
regardless, unless your phone's name is literally set to be "Send me dick pics", whatever it might be it is not an invitation to be sent unsolicited dick pics.
I might try that on my next flight, purely for research purposes you understand.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I do not believe BA need a cyberflashing policy, any more than they need a "policy" for any other inappropriate behaviour.

Do they have a "flashing" policy? I doubt it.

This should be addressed by whatever process they deal with any inappropriate behaviour
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.