Wiki Posts
Search

BA10 Today - Likely Scenarios

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA10 Today - Likely Scenarios

Im currently at BKK awaiting the delayed 1125 (BA10). The incoming flight landed on time but we are still here with the latest estimated departure of 1600 (1 hour).

No movement to board as yet so guessing this may be missed. With a 1600 departure, the arrival estimate was 2143 to LHR. What is the latest time we can arrive at LHR and what would that mean with regards to the latest we could get away from BKK and make it today?

Also, the ground staff said they thought the plane had a lightening strike on the way over. If true, would this mean I'm not able to claim EU261?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I’m taking this flight later in the week - seems like a lot of delays on the BA9/10 over the last few weeks - or certainly at least a couple of significant ones.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
Im currently at BKK awaiting the delayed 1125 (BA10). The incoming flight landed on time but we are still here with the latest estimated departure of 1600 (1 hour).

No movement to board as yet so guessing this may be missed. With a 1600 departure, the arrival estimate was 2143 to LHR. What is the latest time we can arrive at LHR and what would that mean with regards to the latest we could get away from BKK and make it today?

Also, the ground staff said they thought the plane had a lightening strike on the way over. If true, would this mean I'm not able to claim EU261?

Thanks in advance
Also the incoming flight wasn’t on time I was tracking all day yesterday - it didn’t depart Heathrow until 6pm I saw it fly right over my back garden.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chris9642
I’m taking this flight later in the week - seems like a lot of delays on the BA9/10 over the last few weeks - or certainly at least a couple of significant ones.

To be fair, I think the big delay earlier in the week was a knock-off effect from the LHR runway lighting issues. Do not know the reason today though.

When later in the week are you on BA10? - as it happens I am on it on Thursday!

EDIT: Seems like BA10 is now boarding (based on the AOT website)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
To answer a question asked by the OP, LHR does not have a latest arrival time. The number of flights arriving at night is just limited for noise reasons. This is unlike some airports that have a strict curfew at e.g 11 pm.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I feel for the OP. This is a horrible flight at the best of times. Good luck.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I feel for the OP. This is a horrible flight at the best of times. Good luck.
I normally find it ok in J - not really any different to the other long Asia day flights such as Japan. Load up a few movies on my iPad, a few G&Ts and occasional naps and walks.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I too normally find this flight ok in J.

Seems the OP is now taxiing for takeoff, according to FlightAware - left the gate at 4:13pm, almost five hours late.
If it is a lightning strike, I sincerely hope there will be no attempt to claim compensation - forces of nature are not really within BA's control (I am amazed that this compensation question comes up in every other thread on here these days..)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
.....I am amazed that this compensation question comes up in every other thread on here these days..

Amazed ?????

We're talking about up to EUR600 per person compensation.

I'd have thought Ł1000+ for a couple is a pretty effective incentive for firing off a claim.

EU261 has been around for some time. For airlines it's part of doing business in Europe, not an indication of ethical decline among passengers.

I'd have hoped BA has put some effort into minimising the opportunities to claim, devised effective rebuttals for chancers, while building pay outs into its business plan.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Amazed ?????

We're talking about up to EUR600 per person compensation.

I'd have thought Ł1000+ for a couple is a pretty effective incentive for firing off a claim.

EU261 has been around for some time. For airlines it's part of doing business in Europe, not an indication of ethical decline among passengers.

I'd have hoped BA has put some effort into minimising the opportunities to claim, devised effective rebuttals for chancers, while building pay outs into its business plan.
Yes we are indeed talking about EUR 600 per person - making it ideal for chancers to push their luck. We can have a debate from here until the world's end on whether this regulation is obscure or not. That is not the point.

My point is that people seem to expect compensation for everything they can dream up these days - and if the cause of the OP's delay is indeed due to a lightning strike, why should BA be held responsible? - It is 100% out of their control.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
..... if the cause of the OP's delay is indeed due to a lightning strike, why should BA be held responsible? - It is 100% out of their control.

...and it won't be held responsible.

It's a large company with a brazenly commercial approach to its environment: brushing off the chancers, together with a goodly proportion of valid claimants, is by now second nature.

It can take care of itself. Your concern is misplaced
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Im currently at BKK awaiting the delayed 1125 (BA10).
Just to confirm the previous posters. No comp. is due for delay caused by lightening strikes - totally outside the control of BA/the crew (i.e. extraordinary circumstances). If true, I would not even waste my time applying for the comp. - the answer is given already.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Just to confirm the previous posters. No comp. is due for delay caused by lightening strikes - totally outside the control of BA/the crew (i.e. extraordinary circumstances). If true, I would not even waste my time applying for the comp. - the answer is given already.
Bad advice and incorrect.

In Evans v Monarch Airlines 2016 the judge ruled that lightning strikes did not constitute exceptional circumstances since they were inherent in the day to day running of an airline.

In the event that BA does not pay out then OP should consider using Bott & Co who won that particular case.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by simons1

In Evans v Monarch Airlines 2016 the judge ruled that lightning strikes did not constitute exceptional circumstances since they were inherent in the day to day running of an airline.
More information here:

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/blog/fl...htning-strikes
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by simons1

In the event that BA does not pay out then OP should consider using Bott & Co who won that particular case.
Well done! What you say is correct - I so wish some posters with incorrect or partial knowledge of the problem would abstain from giving 'helpful' advice to the OP.
Crofton138 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.