Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC requesting sensitive personal info over email

Old Nov 12, 18, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

I recently submitted a request to BAEC via BA's email form. The email that I got back requested, for the purpose of "Data Protection" that I provide:
- my BA Executive Club number
- registered home address including postal code
- my Passport number

I'm a little aghast as to how to proceed as I certainly don't want to provide this information in emails. This would be much easier over the phone, but I'm currently travelling and phone access is more difficult for me.
Old Nov 12, 18, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes it's been like this for a few months, and you aren't the first to complain about it. From my very limited experience of this, you can make do with the last 4 digits, and explain that given BA's track record with data protection you're unwilling to provide more. And invite them to call you.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UAMP Silver, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
They do the same on Twitter as well...which IMO is even worse.

I am afraid they are overcompensating for recent data issues in a way that actually poses more risks than the ones it is aimed at solving.

BA could benefit from proper data privacy consulting.
bisonrav, argonath and SK like this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 3:59 pm

Treat email as being as secure as a postcard.
rapidex likes this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Having to phone in to avoid more risk of them losing your data in transit is only going to make their phone desk even more overloaded.

How hard can it be to authenticate the user on the web interface, then store the message internally and respond on the website (send an email saying there is a response, but without content) - like banks do?
Old Nov 13, 18, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Having to phone in to avoid more risk of them losing your data in transit is only going to make their phone desk even more overloaded.

How hard can it be to authenticate the user on the web interface, then store the message internally and respond on the website (send an email saying there is a response, but without content) - like banks do?
Yes, I had this issue recently, and I decided not to respond to BA's email. No way am I going to send that kind of personal information via regular email.

I don't see why BA can't do what my bank does with secure messaging (oh wait, I'd forgotten about BA's incompetent management and its foreign outsourced IT provider).
Old Nov 13, 18, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
It seems they have relaxed the requirements as when. I booked the flight in which my card details were compromised, I inadvertently booked 2 tickets. I tweeted the BA team and they asked for s lot of information before they called me and cancelled the duplicate booking. When I asked BA for help with a recent query it was just 2 of a possible number of things so requirements were relaxed.
Old Nov 13, 18, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
May I ask which part you are aghast about. All of that information is already circulating freely.
Old Nov 13, 18, 1:46 am

By comparison, I've had a couple of things connected with my BAEC account sorted out over Twitter (extremely promptly, I must say) without BA asking for any credentials or further 'security' information from me at all!
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by frandrake View Post
BA could benefit from proper data privacy consulting.
But that would cost money. Short sighted share holders no likely that.