Using one way of a return ticket

Old Nov 12, 18, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Using one way of a return ticket

So a question for a friend, what are the repercussions of only using one way of a restricted return economy ticket
as a flexible return is much more expensive?
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:01 pm

If just the outbound, no consequences whatsoever.

If just the inbound, no fly.
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:08 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
I do this from time to time to book an F/Y combo without using the return. With regard to BAEC, I prefer to do it on another carrier's ticket stock, and am prepared to pay the difference if pursued.

So one data point, no repercussions so far.
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:22 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
If just the outbound, no consequences whatsoever.
That is slightly blasé, I think one should be aware that this is not using the ticket as sold if the intention is to only use the outbound.

As a one-off, repercussions seem unlikely but as with people dropping the last sector of ex-EU flights, retribution through frequent flyer accounts is possible.
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
He is moving to Boston but not sure of his plans travelling back and forth to visit family.
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mixbury View Post
That is slightly blasé, I think one should be aware that this is not using the ticket as sold if the intention is to only use the outbound.

As a one-off, repercussions seem unlikely but as with people dropping the last sector of ex-EU flights, retribution through frequent flyer accounts is possible.
It is not the same as dropping the last sector of ex-EU flights.

The likelihood of BA even attempting to take any action at all against not taking the inbound of a return booking is in my view entirely negligible.
mikeyfly and NeverFirst like this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
People will no show for a ton of reasons. Plans changing around work, family or whatever whim.

Simply knowing about ex-EU dropped sectors might draw more attention to them & the “guilt” factor (though I suspect most no shows feel the airline is much better off!) but I doubt they’re a significant proportion of the thousands upon thousands of no shows each month.
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:50 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA) & Sapphire (QR), Star Alliance Gold (O6), SkyTeam Elite Plus (AZ)
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
He is moving to Boston but not sure of his plans travelling back and forth to visit family.
If he will be coming back at some stage then book a ticket for the last bookable date possible that coincides with a possible trip home. So for now, the latest date you can book is Fri 1 Nov 2019. If he might possibly want a weekend back in the UK in Nov 2019, then book that date. If he can use the flight, then great. If not, then he's not lost out as he wasn't going to use it anyway.

BA won't worry about one person missing one flight.
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by shefgab View Post
If he will be coming back at some stage then book a ticket for the last bookable date possible that coincides with a possible trip home. So for now, the latest date you can book is Fri 1 Nov 2019. If he might possibly want a weekend back in the UK in Nov 2019, then book that date. If he can use the flight, then great. If not, then he's not lost out as he wasn't going to use it anyway.

BA won't worry about one person missing one flight.
Yes, this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
I'd say the risk is very minimal. Certainly worth taking, imo. Especially given the ludicrous fares BA charges for a LHR-BOS one way.

That said, I'd recommend your friend purchase the ticket from BA directly instead of a through a TA. Wouldn't want the TA to get a debit memo.
Old Nov 12, 18, 1:26 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond
I would say that the risk even in terms of BAEC membership is negligible, unless you do it very regularly.
Old Nov 12, 18, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by mikebg View Post
I would say that the risk even in terms of BAEC membership is negligible, unless you do it very regularly.
I can't even see how there could in fact be an issue with regularity, since if you were doing it that regularly you're probably an idiot for not working out a better way to actually use your return legs than simply throwing them all away, and thus spending more than you need to!
Old Nov 12, 18, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the risk is negligible of dropping the return is negligible, why not schedule the return for a holiday OP is fairly certain he will fly. If he does fly, he will have the single paid for. If he does not, he can abandon the segment at that point. As he is moving to Boston, he can continue this cycle.
frb98mf likes this.
Old Nov 12, 18, 3:03 pm

Done it many times Scotland-LHR-Madrid on last minute flights when wife's mother was very unwell, and then for her funeral.

Quite simply, one-way with BA was outrageous and then I just happened to click on return and... wow!

Most times we then came back Easyjet - for some reason Easyjet one way outbound was always way more than BA return via Heathrow!

Change fee was always more than a new ticket.
Old Nov 12, 18, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Sensible thing to do. BA won't give a monkey's.

To save a couple of quid more they could also use one of those half service carriers who offer one way fares cheaply.....if there is one who serves Boston from one of the London airports that is.

Search this Thread