Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using one way of a return ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
It used to be encouraged by BA. I remember trying to book a one-way in the Manchester BA shop and the agent selling me a return saying don’t use the return sector as it’s much cheaper than a one way.

Yes, I’m feeling old.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
If he will be coming back at some stage then book a ticket for the last bookable date possible that coincides with a possible trip home. So for now, the latest date you can book is Fri 1 Nov 2019. If he might possibly want a weekend back in the UK in Nov 2019, then book that date. If he can use the flight, then great. If not, then he's not lost out as he wasn't going to use it anyway.

BA won't worry about one person missing one flight.
That's exactly what I did when I moved to USA but I booked a return for 6 months later but just threw it away. Only time I've ever done it. BA didn't care.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Done this a few times, booking WT+ out of Europe to the US and a cheap WT return back.

If your friend books a return leg they'll abandon a few months out (so it's just taxes and fees on the return leg really) and doesn't check in, it's my experience that cancelling T-15 mins before flight gets cancellation request sent to the back office for manual calculation and usually results in a full taxes refund - no fees applied!

​​​​​​Makes for a very cheap one way flight indeed, and ensures there's no no-show issues
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:20 pm

I agree with everybody else, but two alternatives:

- This is a good use of Avios.
- Book one way with Norwegian, or even Level via BCN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.