Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who can get a Jump Seat

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by billyb750

Really? A jumpseat is incredibly uncomfortable when sat in for any extended period of time! Speaking from experience given I have been sat in one the whole way from SIN-LHR. By the end of it, your back aches and your bum feels numb.

Given a choice between a WT seat or a jumpseat, in my opinion the WT seat wins hands down!
It's trade off for me. I'm 6'4" so being able to stretch my legs is worth it.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by capin
pre 9/11 ??
Post 9/11
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
But not in the flight deck?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
He said cockpit CIHY ( ??? ). Also said "NCL office catering manageress was in the other seat". I suppose if the captain knew them both it may well be within his power, but 2 jump seats in the small cockpit on a NCL to LHR ?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:10 am

It seems that duty travelers from any division are allowed flight deck jumpseats on the discretion of the Captain as long as there are no seats available in the passenger cabin.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No they are not at any time.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:55 am

That is absolutely what I thought but I went and had a read.........and was surprised.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:50 am

In the good old days before 9/11 we used to auction off the flight deck jumpseat for the landing. Some judgement was required, so we only did it when the weather was ok and the aircraft working as it should. The senior cabin crew member would hold an inflight auction after the service was complete. Payment was a cheque made out to our house charity, which at the time was Macmillen Cancer.

One very generous passenger made out a cheque for Ł1500 to sit with us for a landing into Naples. Sadly, those fundraising opportunities have gone by the wayside.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:26 pm

Not so, OMA 8.7.1 refers. It says can but not is entitled. Nor do I know any captain that would do so but the rules say they can.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Nov 15, 2018 at 2:28 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well what do I know?
I cannot get on Docunet to check the OMAs but I’m surprised about this and will have to check the rules.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Is anyone entitled to do anything much in an aircraft except the Captain or someone acting on their authority (perhaps except a CAA/FAA/appropriate civil regulator inspector)? I suppose I'm entitled to leave before the door closes, anything else? I must admit I'm not a big one to stand on what I'm entitled to do or not do in the aircraft so maybe I have more entitlement than I think, but I have always considered the set of things one can always do or receive in an aircraft to be quite small, most of it is if the Captain (via the crew) lets you do or have it.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I once got to sit in the cockpit jump seat on a flight from LCY to CDG in the late 80’s. I was based in Paris at the time and had flown back to the UK for the annual office party over the weekend. It was a mid morning Monday departure and the flight was very lightly loaded. In fact there were 4 passengers in total! I had a preflight glass of bubbles and then another one shortly after takeoff which was just enough to give me the Dutch courage to ask the FA if I could visit the flight deck (I had just started to take flying lessons so was curious to see what it was like upfront on a commercial turbo prop). The FA had a word with the captain and he gave me the OK to come up front. I had the most enjoyable time up there. The Channel looked like a very wide river from up there and I had a great time talking to the crew and just observing what was going on. About 10 mins before landing the captain asked that I return to my seat, which I reluctantly did so. The FA seeing that I was back in my seat said that there was about a 1/2 bottle of Champage left and as no one else was drinking, did I want to finish it? No further invitation needed (I was in my mid 20’s at the time) and the bottle was easily finished before final approach.

Definitely the best flight of my life!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:03 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Once had the great pleasure of sitting on a flight deck jump seat from LHR-BGI (Barbados) for the entire journey, take-off to landing. Provided headsets to listen in on all of the chatter between the ground & the aircraft. Fed & watered in the cockpit too, albeit with Y food, whilst the flight crew ate F food.
Incredible experience, pre 9/11 of course.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:14 pm
Suspended

about 4 years ago was looking to charter an aircraft. Went to inspect it & they were about to depart on an RPT flight which was about 2 hours there & back. They asked if I wanted to sit in jump seat, which I did for whole flight. Awesome.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 'andad
He said cockpit CIHY ( ??? ). Also said "NCL office catering manageress was in the other seat". I suppose if the captain knew them both it may well be within his power, but 2 jump seats in the small cockpit on a NCL to LHR ?
Can't say I knew the Captain - not sure about the manageress. When I joined BA I was told if the opportunity ever arose to be offered the jump seats, the best bet was to say you worked in Engineering, as Captains were more likely to give a seat to anybody who kept the planes in the air. I can't recall if I was asked what my job was at that time, but both pilots were very friendly and seemed quite happy to help us out - bearing in mind this would have been around 21:00 with the alternative looking for accommodation and not getting home - I was very grateful for the offer. It wasn't all that cramped as I had the seat at the back of the cockpit so had a clear view out the front. IIRC the other jump seat is placed between the door and a side bulkhead so viewing is restricted. FA showed us how to use the seat belt as it's different to those in the cabin - more of a 4-point harness you get in kids' car seats / racing cars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.