Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LON > HKG - which route is more tier points

Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:08 am
Original Poster

I have looked but I can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Do I earn more tier points going London to Hong Kong on BA direct premium economy or Qatar via Doha in economy?

TIA
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, chunkajunk!
Originally Posted by chunkajunk
Do I earn more tier points going London to Hong Kong on BA direct premium economy or Qatar via Doha in economy?
On a BA non-stop, you'd earn 90 TPs each way in premium economy.

How much you'd earn on QR in economy depends on the booking class you're booked into. It could be as low as 20+20=40 each way if you book a cheap economy fare that earns TPs, but if you book the most expensive it could be as much as 70+70=140 each way.

It is possible that there are some booking classes on QR which earn nothing at all in BAEC, but others will know more than me about this.

There's more information in the sticky thread: Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2018 edition, and you will also find a link to a TP quick reference table in my signature.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Us the TP calculator on BA website

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire

TIA
Well depending on how much do you pay for economy.
It can be 20 tier point per segment to 70 tier point per segment on economy.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:18 am

I think I'd want a whole heap more TPs to consider switching from W on a direct service to Y on a connecting service. In fact, even then I don't think I'd want to do it, given the respective timings.
steve170461 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the super quick replies, think it is more likely that I would be worse off TP wise, and definitely time wise going the long route.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold

TIA

You may be looking at this the wrong way. For close to what BA charge for Premium Econ (often £1,500 ish) direct you can often find indirect Biz fares. So booked in advance HKG in J from AY from LHR earns 80+140 each way and is often sub £2K. QR J from the regions (CWL, BHX etc) can be had for around £2.3K and is 140+140.
Of if you really want BA an ex-olso in Club is often between 1500 and 2000 though involves positioning costs + risk.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:09 am

BA in PE, unless on a higher QR economy fare. QR send the 787 to HKG which whilst brilliant in J is pretty awful in Y.

Of course you could probably fly to HKG 2 or 3 times on QR for the 1500 or so BA charge for PE, and you might even find a business fare around that price.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tinkicker
For close to what BA charge for Premium Econ (often £1,500 ish) direct ...
Originally Posted by 1010101
Of course you could probably fly to HKG 2 or 3 times on QR for the 1500 or so BA charge for PE ...
I'm seeing WT+ round-trip to HKG easily available for about £880.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Really? I've used ITA to look at all the 7 night stay dates out till March 2019 and they are around £1500, some are up over £2K which is ridiculous.

Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tinkicker
Really? I've used ITA to look at all the 7 night stay dates out till March 2019 and they are around £1500, some are up over £2K which is ridiculous.
This is because HKG is a route on which WT+ DIFs are not shown to ITA. If you price it on ba.com, you'll see the £880 fares. (I don't know what Google Flights might show.)

This behaviour is in contrast to one of my other regular routes: JNB. On this route, WT+ DIFs are shown to ITA.

The difference is of such long standing that I think it must be deliberate, for commercial reasons that I cannot guess. However, it is another lesson in making sure that one does not rely solely on any one source for information. There is never any good substitute for putting in the work oneself.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:51 am

The difference is of such long standing that I think it must be deliberate, for commercial reasons that I cannot guess. However, it is another lesson in making sure that one does not rely solely on any one source for information. There is never any good substitute for putting in the work oneself.
Oh well, on one level I'm cheery to learn something new (and having checked the dates of my next trip I've not missed some sub 1K WTP price from LHR). On the other hand I'd have thought ITA and Skyscanner and Googleflights with the occasional glance at the BA app WAS putting the work in myself! :-)

Back to the original posters problem...
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:56 am

That's a very good price, unless you are booking way out it is very rarely below 1k and usually more like 1.5k.

Of course, i wouldn't be booking BA at all on that route when CX is available with the same TPs.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
That's a very good price, unless you are booking way out it is very rarely below 1k and usually more like 1.5k.

Of course, i wouldn't be booking BA at all on that route when CX is available with the same TPs.
And just to say while CX from LHR is similarly priced to BA it has had some decent WTP deals recently from Dublin (and the occasional LGW) for about £900 with some shortish notice availability. (like 14 days ahead)
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Poster

As it stands BA WT+ is coming in at £900, similar flight on CX £1600-1700 and the excellent idea of AY business is around £2100. Will probably have to travel that way a couple of times a year so will check for AY next time and if it is only a little more than CX I can probably swing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.