Wiki Posts
Search

Inverness airport (inv) security

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
Inverness airport (inv) security

Hi I am looking to take advantage of the cheaper BA flights from Inverness compared to Edinburgh
the flight i am looking at separatist 12.20pm
i plan they the train up from fife and have 2 train times to consider 1 leaves from krkcaldy at 7am and a bus from train station gets me to airport at 11.20am the other leave from Perth and would get me to airport before 9am
Is it possible to get the later train and arrive at 1 hour before flight and have enouh time (hand luggage only ) to get from main entrance thru security to may gate in time to board plane
thanks Andy
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by andyh1877
Hi I am looking to take advantage of the cheaper BA flights from Inverness compared to Edinburgh
the flight i am looking at separatist 12.20pm
i plan they the train up from fife and have 2 train times to consider 1 leaves from krkcaldy at 7am and a bus from train station gets me to airport at 11.20am the other leave from Perth and would get me to airport before 9am
Is it possible to get the later train and arrive at 1 hour before flight and have enouh time (hand luggage only ) to get from main entrance thru security to may gate in time to board plane
thanks Andy
I personally don’t know but I wouldn’t chance that, others might. What if train is 20 mins late, you’ve got 20 mins to get to the gate a risk I personally wouldn’t want for the sake of missing an flight and onward flight..
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
Yes probably best to earlier train will cost more and need somewhere cheap to park my car if i get earlier train
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
It’s not a big airport. Main entrance to security takes all of a minute. Security to gate maybe another 2 mins. Road improvements to the airport are much better than they use to be.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:26 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Security is pretty quick usually, but it's worth seeing whether there are other flights around the time you'd be going through security.

I did a b2b at INV, and security took me 8 mins due to an EZY flight (and a FlyBe one I believe too).

M
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
I was there in April and there was an issue with checking bags across all airlines, as such everything was slow and security alone took 20 minutes (very unusual for INV), I certainly would be taking the train from Perth.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Having used Inverness many times, it's not their security I would be worried about, it's ScotRail. I would go for the earlier train.

The road from Inverness station to the airport can be busy too.
sph77 and squawk like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Wouldn't risk a tight timing using the train on the Highland Main Line.
With all the single line sections, a 20 minute delay isn't difficult to rack up.
Sealink and squawk like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:58 am

Concur. Security at INV is quick and friendly. But no guarantee that Scotrail will be on time, so you need to include contingency for that.
Sealink and squawk like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Have you looked at the coach from Perth? timings might be better....
Sealink likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Actually, Citylink Gold is awesome.
Skipcool3 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:20 am

Just in case the OP is considering driving or getting Citylink/Stagecoach bus to INV - or anyone else for that matter - I’ve just read in the ‘Strathy’ that there is going to be a 17 week investigation works on the A9 between Dalraddy (just south of Aviemore) to Slochd - a 15 mile stretch - starting on Monday 19th and they hope to keep disruption to a minimum. Maybe need to factor in extra travelling time by road.

Last edited by FEMW; Nov 14, 2018 at 5:44 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
I had a slight 'scare' at INV whilst doing a b2b in Sept, for one of the INV-USA tickets. Walked round from the incoming flight, to find a line of 20+ stretching back from the queuing area for Security, with another 20+ inside. Joined the line, then spotted a chap walk along the right hand side of the line, towards a 2nd gap in the barrier/fence by the wall, and enter. Looked closer to see a small 'priority' sign with BA logo. Was in J, so followed him through, but otherwise would have really struggled, and maybe had to push in (hate doing that). Very easy to miss that 2nd entrance, and for all my poring through posts on b2b's/turnarounds, can't remember any references to it.
As for why there was the queue - wasn't really there long enough to ask, but there was a KLM and an EasyJet kind of around same time (11.00). Also wondered if it might have been a coachload on a group trip. Worth being aware that if it does happen to be busier than normal, a 20-30 minute delay is possible, even there.
Greyscot likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Priority security is maybe a bit more obvious now (went through at end of Oct), however I was tickled that it did just seem to spit you out into the middle of a queue and was essentially a gap in some office cubicle type walls. The man guarding it had been called away too so it was a bit of a riot. Not an issue with hand luggage only but also bear in mind the likelihood for your fellow passengers to be checking in special items. When we went through there was a family travelling with a hunting rifle which obviously took a while and meant we were waiting in line longer than anticipated. If it had been a whole shooting party heading home then time to bag drop would have increased significantly.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Fluzz
When we went through there was a family travelling with a hunting rifle which obviously took a while and meant we were waiting in line longer than anticipated. If it had been a whole shooting party heading home then time to bag drop would have increased significantly.
Yep - INV is in prime hunting shooting fishing land. A lot of guns go through INV! And maybe a hawk or two!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.