Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A rude captain - any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
If you flew BA more you would have noticed that the captain on SH flights typically stands at the open cockpit door while passengers are disembarking to say good-bye. I have used this in a few occasions where there had been security issues on the flights and the captain always asked me to step aside to get detailed feedback.
Do tell us more
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Sounds like a storm in a tea-cup.

I'd offer the thought that the pilot might well have had an emerging crisis to nip in the bud and lost his/her patience with ditherers who were managing to block the upstairs aisle - in itself, no mean feat. Could have been handled more politely, but tant pis.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I do rather agree with the comments above about CRM.

My first thought on reading the first post in this thread wasn’t “gosh, I would be terribly upset if a captain spoke to me like that as a passenger” (although - clearly - it would not be great); my first thought was “I really wouldn’t want to be a First Officer working with that guy”.

As a passenger, my first thought in that situation would therefore actually have been safety-related rather than customer service-related. And, however unmerited that may in fact be, it’s pretty irresponsible for a captain (potentially) to leave passenegers with the impression that there’s a single-minded, cantankerous, angry man at the controls.

Incidentally, I also echo everything above about that sort of behaviour being exceptionally rare within BA. I love to speak to Flight Crew whenever they come around the cabin to say hello (or are stood at the door) and, however short or long those interactions have been, I have only ever encountered happy, pleasant and engaging people.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:49 am

It isn't so much the rudeness which concerns me from a safety perspective, it is the lack of patience. I would have thought the ability to stay calm and thoughtful under pressure would exist on the flight deck and off it.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
We had a similar attempt at Sarcasm on BA15 on Friday, when CSM came on talking about connections. As we were about 1 hour delayed he talked about MEL, USM, PER and then added that those continuing on BA15 better run for it as SIN airport requires these passengers report to the gate 40 min prior to departure to SYD, but we are landing with 30 min to spare, adding good luck at the end. Most passengers seemed very confused and asking poor mixed fleet crew whether they will make it etc...
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
Do tell us more
Cabin crew making no final walk-through before landing, and gentleman keeping working on his laptop (bulkhead!) even though I asked him to please store it. I had to get up in final approach and call a cabin crew to resolve that. There were other instances, which I forgot by now, which means that I either fly too much or they were not that important (or I am getting Alzheimer). Overall, I find BA flight crews really friendly and (even more important) transparent. There is a problem, you get informed! One big exception - flight AMS-LCY a few summers ago. Ground staff asked for volunteers to stay behind for weight reasons!! When I boarded I noticed that of the back doors (it was an Embraer 170) was blocked for usage. My immediate thought was - well, here we go - they looked for volunteers as there is some ratio of passenger per exit (experts, please correct me if I am wrong). Neither flight nor cabin crew ever mentioned that there was an issue here - which I found a bit odd, to say the least. Not telling passengers that one of the emergency is out of service! Shouldn't that be somehow communicated to passengers?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
Cabin crew making no final walk-through before landing, and gentleman keeping working on his laptop (bulkhead!) even though I asked him to please store it. I had to get up in final approach and call a cabin crew to resolve that. There were other instances, which I forgot by now, which means that I either fly too much or they were not that important (or I am getting Alzheimer). Overall, I find BA flight crews really friendly and (even more important) transparent. There is a problem, you get informed! One big exception - flight AMS-LCY a few summers ago. Ground staff asked for volunteers to stay behind for weight reasons!! When I boarded I noticed that of the back doors (it was an Embraer 170) was blocked for usage. My immediate thought was - well, here we go - they looked for volunteers as there is some ratio of passenger per exit (experts, please correct me if I am wrong). Neither flight nor cabin crew ever mentioned that there was an issue here - which I found a bit odd, to say the least. Not telling passengers that one of the emergency is out of service! Shouldn't that be somehow communicated to passengers?
sorry, should have said that I was sitting next to the gentleman with the laptop, so in case of hard landing, any accident with the laptop might have affected me!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
An interesting thread and a few things spring to mind.

Firstly, as I get more and more DYKWIA in my old age, I'm increasingly bemused at how some people lack any common sense, spatial awareness or any kind of awareness in day to day behaviour, including in the context of commercial aviation, so on one level I can sympathise with the impulse.
This.

What doesn't help are those people who are constantly absorbed in their mobile phones which is the new universal plague and actually starting to become hazardous. I have seen people causing plane disembark pile ups because they suddenly stopped walking after exiting the plane to scroll through their facebook newsfeed or whatever. Same happens when getting off an escalator. So many people just don't watch where they're going and it's left to the minority who do to swerve out of the way to avoid bumps and pile ups. I just don't get why people can't put their phones away for a few minutes while they walk from A to B. Rant over
volar and Peter Ould like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Could there possibly have been an issue whereby a slot delay was imminent and skipper was trying to hurry to the flight deck to manage whatever situation had got them into that point in the first place. Doesn't necessarily excuse poor social skills but may offer something of an explanation.

And fwiw, I have had almost universally positive interactions with BA flight crews down the years. Indeed when these are more substantive than a simple hello / goodbye / thanks - nice landing etc, they are almost always the highlight of my flight.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:51 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sounds like a storm in a tea-cup.

I'd offer the thought that the pilot might well have had an emerging crisis to nip in the bud and lost his/her patience with ditherers who were managing to block the upstairs aisle - in itself, no mean feat. Could have been handled more politely, but tant pis.
I would not say "could have", it should be "should have". A simple polite but assertive "Excuse me, I need to get to the Flight Deck" would have been fine. Why would someone say nothing and then lose their patience?

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
It isn't so much the rudeness which concerns me from a safety perspective, it is the lack of patience. I would have thought the ability to stay calm and thoughtful under pressure would exist on the flight deck and off it.
This was something I was thinking as well. Unless BA hears about such issues they can't proactively address potential safety issues. There could be a whole range of underlying issues at play here, but unless BA knows about this they can't provide appropriate support for their employees.

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Could there possibly have been an issue whereby a slot delay was imminent and skipper was trying to hurry to the flight deck to manage whatever situation had got them into that point in the first place. Doesn't necessarily excuse poor social skills but may offer something of an explanation.
I'm sure there was another factor at play, but as you say, it's no excuse. Such behaviour or attitudes may impact other areas of his role - pilots have to be able to deal with stressful situations and I would suggest that this was not a stressful situation (plane on the ground, passengers boarding, pretty much business as usual!). Would I want to be sitting in the other seat in the cockpit with this crew member, probably not!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If there was an extenuating circumstance such as nearly missing a slot, there would have been more effective ways of communicating than what was perceived to be rude,.

Thankfully though, this kind of rude communication so to speak seems to be rare on any airline, including BA, although on some airlines I may simply have no perception of issues due to language barriers.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
My experience of BA (and probably every other airline I've flown) is of warm and friendly flight crew, albeit everyone can have a bad day from time to time. I've also had some highly entertaining captains and first officers on BA who have come into the (F) cabin to say hello to boarding passengers etc, and in one memorable case to colourfully explain a push-back delay that was being caused by three intoxicated passengers (elsewhere on aircraft) needing to be offloaded...
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Captains rarely interact with passengers. Unless you fly on Southwest, which does not operate in the UK as far as I know.
Maybe a decade ago they would stand and greet you but you rarely see them. Most of the time they are in the cockpit before you get on the plane (depends on where you sit, obviously), and still in the cockpit when you get out. Some captains do not announce anything over the PA (Japanese captains routinely do) and just have other people announce it.

Why wouldn't you just want a captain who flies the plane well?
What a pompous response.
Just piloting the plane well would be fine. One can do that without open hostility to the passengers . This guy was out of line.
User Name likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
We had a similar attempt at Sarcasm on BA15 on Friday, when CSM came on talking about connections. As we were about 1 hour delayed he talked about MEL, USM, PER and then added that those continuing on BA15 better run for it as SIN airport requires these passengers report to the gate 40 min prior to departure to SYD, but we are landing with 30 min to spare, adding good luck at the end. Most passengers seemed very confused and asking poor mixed fleet crew whether they will make it etc...
Did he expect the ground staff to turn around a 77W in under 40 minutes?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
What a pompous response.
Just piloting the plane well would be fine. One can do that without open hostility to the passengers . This guy was out of line.
Ah, I see you share many similar traits to the captain. Calling others out. Diminishing the importance of what others do.
Do you fly too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.