Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OTP-PHX TP runs in April 2019 Meet Up Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jfallesen
It seems like we have quite a few are taking advantage of the recent good price on OTP-PHX so I thought it might be a good idea to see if we could put together some ad-hoc meet-ups. I don't want to organise anything as it seems that we are all travelling on different dates and, in some cases different routes, but it would be a shame to be on the same flight or in the same lounge as another FTer, not know and not be able to share a beer and stories... if that is what you want. Of course, if you like to travel alone then that is great too.

So, if you want others to know about your travel plans and fancy saying hi to fellow FTers please post your details and I will add you to the wiki. If you have wiki update access then please, by all means, update the wiki yourself

I am posting my hotel arrangements but if you would rather not do that yourself but wish to post your flights then that is also perfectly fine.

For those that want to read about the Aug 2018 PHX mini-do (quite a few did it!) it is here : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ug-2018-a.html

There are some links at the end of the wiki to interesting things to do around Phoenix. Please feel free to add to this list if you wish

Note: Times are DEPARTURE times.

OTP Hotel Vienna : H2L, Shl (+1)

29th June
BA885 OTP–LHR 07:55 : jfallese
BA67 LHR–PHL 12:40 : jfallese
BA4672 / AA854 PHL–PHX 17:25 : jfallese

2nd July
BA6358 OTP - LHR 07:55 : LondonAndy

3rd July
AA6538 LHR - HEL 08:25 : LondonAndy
AA6480 HEL - LHR 14:10 : LondonAndy

4thJuly
AA6214 LHR - JFK 11:20 : LondonAndy
AA1587 JFK - PHX 16:10 : LondonAndy

5th July
BA5451 / AA883 PHX–ORD 13:45 : jfallese
BA296 ORD–LHR 20:55 : jfallese

6th July
BA886 LHR–OTP 13:50 : jfallese

7th July
AA0760 PHX - LAX 10:10 LondonAndy
AA0032 LAX - JFK 13:15 LondonAndy
BA887 OTP–LHR 17:55 : jfallese

8th July
AA6143 JFK - LHR 07:55 LondonAndy

9th July
BA0794 LHR - HEL 08:25 LondonAndy
BA0886 LHR - OTP 11:40 AlisonB84 + 1
AY1337 HEL - LHR 16:00 LondonAndy
BA0884 LHR - OTP 18:55 LondonAndy

10th July
BA0885 OTP - LHR 07:55 AlisonB84 + 1
BA0885 OTP - LHR 07:55 Jason8612
BA0067 LHR - PHL 12.40 AlisonB84 + 1
AY1344 LHR - HEL 13:50 Jason8612

11th July
AA0686 PHL - PHX 13:50 AlisonB84 + 1
BA6005/AY HEL - JFK 12:45 Jason8612
BA4344/AA JFK - SFO 21:15 Jason8612

12th July
AA 1844 SFO - PHX 16:00 Jason8612

16th July
AA480 PHX - SAN 17:10 AlisonB84 + 1
BA0272 SAN - LHR 20:30 AlisonB84 + 1

17th July
BA884 LHR–OTP 18:55 : AlisonB84 + 1

18th July
BA886 LHR/OTP 0815 Gastrocnemius+1
BA887 OTP–LHR 17:55 : AlisonB84 + 1

19th July
BA885 OTP/LHR 0755 Gastrocnemius+1
BA115 LHR/JFK 1420 Gastrocnemius+1
AA2615 JFK/SFO 2115 Gastrocnemius+1

20th July
AA1868 SFO/PHX 0915 Gastrocnemius+1

22nd July
AA12339 PHX/JFK 0843 Gastrocnemius+1
BA116 JFK/LHR 2010 Gastrocnemius+1

23rd July
BA886 LHR/OTP 1140 Gastrocnemius+1
BA885 OTP/LHR 1750 Gastrocnemius+1

24th July
BA886 LHR-OTP 11:40 : thejohn

25th July
BA885 OTP-LHR 07:55 BA177 LHR-JFK 13:10: thejohn

26th July
BA 4310 JFK-LAX 06:00 BA 1742 LAX-PHX 16:33 : thejohn

28th July
BA5244 PHX-LAX 09:54 : thejohn

29th July
BA4751LAX-BOS 14:00 BA202 BOS-LHR 21:40 : thejohn

30th July
BA886 11:40 LHR-OTP : thejohn

31st July
BA885 07:55 OTP-LHR : thejohn
Things to do

Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in Phoenix
Top hikes in the Phoenix area
Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation - Taliesin West
Heard Museum
Museum of Musical Instruments
Arizona Rattlers Football Team
Titan Missile Museum
Pima Air & Space Museum
Print Wikipost

OTP-PHX TP runs in April 2019 Meet Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Deleted

Last edited by BAEC; Apr 17, 2019 at 4:19 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
After about three hours kip in the vienna hotel I made my weary way to OTP to start my adventure today. Unfortunately and despite the plane and all the passengers beings at the gate in plenty of time apparantly one of the flight crew ( rumours of the captian ) was sick.

Fast forward five hours and we are still waiting for a replacement crew member to arrive as cover. The latest news is we should be off about 14:40 some 7 hours late..

BA swapped my LHR-HEL to a later flight and if things pan out I should just make my connection into HEL later tonight for another short stopover arriving just 2 hours later than originally planned..

If not I guess I will stay overnight at LHR (assuming I do actually leave here) and see if i can get onto my original JFK flight tomorrow as was planned. Getting the ORC may or may not happen as I booked via AA - I dont know how that works.

I will also have a scan through the EU261 pages to see if we are entitled to put in a claim..

Any pointers will be gladly taken..
Hope the replacement crew is not on the BA890 .....
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by BAEC
...what...they re-painted and re-named the Tardis?!!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:47 am
Suspended

I know BA is celebrating 100 years .... but really are they going back in time? Estimated Arrival of todays BA890 (LHR-SOF) diverted to OTP and scheduled arrival 10th July 2013 !
Wbeest likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Latest :- It was the First Officer who was sick. We now boarding and we should make our HEL connection after all.

OTP lounges are comfortable but rather threadbare with little food and small drinks selection that most teatotallers would be proud off. I would rather have spent the time in the CX first lounge to be honest but the TP run is back on..
Shl, snaxmuppet and Wbeest like this.

Last edited by sunshinebob; Apr 17, 2019 at 5:06 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Indeed this is the case. They diverted that flight to us in OTP and dropped off a spare Nigel.
Shl and BAEC like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Indeed this is the case. They diverted that flight to us in OTP and dropped off a spare Nigel.
Not sure if you were on my LHR-HEL flight yesterday but hope after that delay the rest of your trip is less eventful.

A little bit of feedback on my TP run

- Vienna House Hotel is perfectly agreeable for an overnight and easily walkable from the airport (like many have said). I didn't think any of the walk was precarious in any fashion though.
- We did the babybus the next day after returning from OTP. As we were booked through on the transcon from JFK to LAX and then a flight to PHX the day after that, the BA systems at LCY couldn't compute the trip, so it took the check in staff a little bit of time to check our bags through to LAX. The babybus is great, perfect for flying to JFK. Only thing is even though the bags were checked through to LAX on the bag tag, we still had to collect them at T7 and bag drop them in at T8 for the transcon.
- The transcon in J is very much like babybus and a great way to travel coast to coast.
- As we had about 24h in LA, stayed in Manhattan Beach which is close enough to LAX to make getting to and from easy, and also close enough to enjoy the beach area and walks.
- Only stayed overnight in Phoenix as we took a road trip via Sedona and Flagstaff to Vegas. Totally recommend making your way up to Sedona and the surrounding areas, Amazing scenery and geology!
- Transcon and AA's 77w back to LHR are IMO the best way to travel for max TPs.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Currently in the Holiday Inn Express at Phoenix airport.

Just a quick half-way update...

I stayed at the Vienna House in Bucharest. The walk was easy and perfectly fine and took less than 15 mins. The only real problem is if you have luggage... the footpath is a bit uneven and a bit rough on the wheels and so I walked on the road! The hotel was way too warm and I got very little sleep. That was the only real issue I had with the hotel. If the room was cooler I would have been perfectly happy. As it was I cancelled the night for when I do my return leg on Sunday and I have booked the Rin Hotel. Again, walkable. I hope that is better.

The result of me getting little sleep meant that I suffered more than usual with the lack of sleep for the rest of the trip and when I arrived at PHX I had been without proper sleep for about 36 hrs.

I arrived at LAX at 1am. I knew that the lounge was closed until 4am and that there was little open at night but I didn't expect that there would be NOTHING open at all. I wandered to all terminals 4-7 and to the international terminal (TBIT) and there was not anywhere to get a coffee. One of the biggest airports in the world, still with departures and arrivals all night, with not even a coffee kiosk. I just waited by the Flagship lounge in T4 until they opened at 4am. My advice to anyone doing OTP-PHX is to not stop overnight in the airport... it is totally dead. If I were to do this run again I would get there on the earlier flight and get a hotel. Lesson learned

I am in the Holiday Inn Express which is right next door to the Hilton Garden Inn near the airport. Anyone staying here just be aware that there is nothing nearby. You really need a car if you want to find shops or restaurants. There is the airport shuttle which, for the cost of a tip for the driver, will take you anywhere within 5 miles and that may be adequate. I hope to try that out later.

Finally, if you stay in the Holiday Inn Express you can use the bar in the HGI next door.
IFE Wizard likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet

I arrived at LAX at 1am. I knew that the lounge was closed until 4am and that there was little open at night but I didn't expect that there would be NOTHING open at all. I wandered to all terminals 4-7 and to the international terminal (TBIT) and there was not anywhere to get a coffee. One of the biggest airports in the world, still with departures and arrivals all night, with not even a coffee kiosk. I just waited by the Flagship lounge in T4 until they opened at 4am. My advice to anyone doing OTP-PHX is to not stop overnight in the airport... it is totally dead. If I were to do this run again I would get there on the earlier flight and get a hotel. Lesson learned

On my TP run last year i also arrived late Close to midnight at LAX and yes it is Dead. I decided to take the Hilton Shuttle (A roundtrip airport shuttle is complimentary (available 24 hours).) to the HOtel and the Bar was still open and the reception area has lots of couches and chairs to relax in. Better than waiting at LAX.
snaxmuppet and Wbeest like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Currently in the Holiday Inn Express at Phoenix airport.

Just a quick half-way update...

I stayed at the Vienna House in Bucharest. The walk was easy and perfectly fine and took less than 15 mins. The only real problem is if you have luggage... the footpath is a bit uneven and a bit rough on the wheels and so I walked on the road! The hotel was way too warm and I got very little sleep. That was the only real issue I had with the hotel. If the room was cooler I would have been perfectly happy. As it was I cancelled the night for when I do my return leg on Sunday and I have booked the Rin Hotel. Again, walkable. I hope that is better.

The result of me getting little sleep meant that I suffered more than usual with the lack of sleep for the rest of the trip and when I arrived at PHX I had been without proper sleep for about 36 hrs.

I am in the Holiday Inn Express which is right next door to the Hilton Garden Inn near the airport. Anyone staying here just be aware that there is nothing nearby. You really need a car if you want to find shops or restaurants. There is the airport shuttle which, for the cost of a tip for the driver, will take you anywhere within 5 miles and that may be adequate. I hope to try that out later.

Finally, if you stay in the Holiday Inn Express you can use the bar in the HGI next door.
There is a bus that will go from just near the hotel and take you into the town centre...cant recall the number but reception should know...or Bisonrav may remember.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:45 am

On my TP run last year i also arrived late Close to midnight at LAX and yes it is Dead. I decided to take the Hilton Shuttle (A roundtrip airport shuttle is complimentary (available 24 hours).) to the HOtel and the Bar was still open and the reception area has lots of couches and chairs to relax in. Better than waiting at LAX.
...interesting...what time did the bar close in the end?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Well, my trip got off to a good start but, then...

The same good cabin team on both outward and inward legs and I was happy that I'd stayed in town. I had a nice walk around the Old Town - and taxis were 36 and 45 RON (different rates per KM) and the driving was a bit 'enthusiastic'!

Recognised some familiar faces on the return flight and chatted to Wbeest. He and travelling frequently +1 were on different flights to me, so we bade farewell as they headed to the CCR!

To JFK on a 772 and again a good crew - very happy to chat.Also met with another FTer (who isn't in the Wiki, I think) who was also on the 173, but he was bumped up to F! I did catch up with him as we headed for the Sky Train - him to T8 and me to T4 to check on my GE application.

When I was at T4, I received a backlog of texts and emails about cancelled and delayed JFK-PHX flights. Got to T8 and it was chaos - no one seemed to know what was happening, except it was 'weather'.

AA originally offered me LGA-DFW as an alternative, but that flight was delayed several times and finally cancelled. The next offer was LGA-ATL-PHX the following day. By this point, I was in a customer service queue (I later found out that there was a fast track for business class - doh!). Eventually, a super star desk agent got me JFK-SFO-PHX, leaving later that evening. Not ideal for time in Phoenix, but I got a lie flat bed and an extra leg to my journey, so more points!

Writing this at SFO and it's like is like Snaxmuppet's description of LAX. It's 3am and nothing is open. The flight here was notable as the first where I have disturbed by a barking dog in the cabin!

Hope no one else was affected!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:16 am
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
As an info: TSA Pre-Check in PHX opens around 3:45 am (ask CBP agents) Might be worth waiting for it instead of joining the general queue. Lounge opens 4 am.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by peter h
Well, my trip got off to a good start but, then...

The same good cabin team on both outward and inward legs and I was happy that I'd stayed in town. I had a nice walk around the Old Town - and taxis were 36 and 45 RON (different rates per KM) and the driving was a bit 'enthusiastic'!

Recognised some familiar faces on the return flight and chatted to Wbeest. He and travelling frequently +1 were on different flights to me, so we bade farewell as they headed to the CCR!

To JFK on a 772 and again a good crew - very happy to chat.Also met with another FTer (who isn't in the Wiki, I think) who was also on the 173, but he was bumped up to F! I did catch up with him as we headed for the Sky Train - him to T8 and me to T4 to check on my GE application.

When I was at T4, I received a backlog of texts and emails about cancelled and delayed JFK-PHX flights. Got to T8 and it was chaos - no one seemed to know what was happening, except it was 'weather'.

AA originally offered me LGA-DFW as an alternative, but that flight was delayed several times and finally cancelled. The next offer was LGA-ATL-PHX the following day. By this point, I was in a customer service queue (I later found out that there was a fast track for business class - doh!). Eventually, a super star desk agent got me JFK-SFO-PHX, leaving later that evening. Not ideal for time in Phoenix, but I got a lie flat bed and an extra leg to my journey, so more points!

Writing this at SFO and it's like is like Snaxmuppet's description of LAX. It's 3am and nothing is open. The flight here was notable as the first where I have disturbed by a barking dog in the cabin!

Hope no one else was affected!
...sorry to hear that Peter H, although sounds like it turned out sort of ok in the end. Again GT interviews were not available at T7 on arrival so I too went to T4 and managed to get it done in my 2.5 hour transfer. Flight to LAX left late ( they mentioned high winds but we only had a few bumps) but got in half an hour early. Now to PHX and SAN this morning.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
It's all looking a bit familiar this morning - SFO-PHX has been delayed for 35 mins and, as I've been writing, another 4 hours. And the aircraft has been here all night!
As for GE, it appears that I got conditional approval yesterday, just before I went to T4. Coincidence? Or did the JFK office do both steps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.