Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BRU: Delayed flight, potential missed connection! No one to talk to!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRU: Delayed flight, potential missed connection! No one to talk to!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA6948

if true, then BA will have to book me on the KL day flight. There is a reason I am traveling 2 days ahead. And I am Gold and they have show some flexibility.
They don't have to book you onto KL. They might but that's not guaranteed even as a Gold.

Nor will they put you in CW on a rebooked BA flights
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
You might be surprised with yourself that you can function quite OK despite all that, hard it might be.

Quite a few of us have gone straight to work for a full day after an itinerary in Y that is far harder than LHR-CPT (bearing in mind if you end up stopping overnight in LHR you will have reduced the fatiguing component of a connecting flight from BRU-LHR that day) and survived perfectly OK. Some people even do this quite routinely.

Not much use psyching yourself out by saying you can't function, because you probably can.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
They don't have to book you onto KL.
I guess there is also a question of availability on the KL flight.
Abidjan likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 11, 2018 at 12:04 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I will try to get the KL flight tomorrow and if they insist on the BA option I will ask them to find me a Club World seat on the BA. No way I am flying in economy And goind straight to the exhibition.
if true, then BA will have to book me on the KL day flight. There is a reason I am traveling 2 days ahead. And I am Gold and they have show some flexibility.
You're not travelling two days ahead. As I read your post, you have only left yourself 24 hours between scheduled arrival in CPT and the start of your work duties. If you are delayed for 24 hours, as can always happen, then the inevitable follows.

Don't forget that throwing your weight around may simply earn you an entry in this thread: DYKWIA | 2018 edition

At any rate, see what happens when you get to LHR because, as always, the airport can always do more than the call centre can.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You're not travelling two days ahead. As I read your post, you have only left yourself 24 hours between scheduled arrival in CPT and the start of your work duties. If you are delayed for 24 hours, as can always happen, then the inevitable follows.

Don't forget that throwing your weight around may simply earn you an entry in this thread: DYKWIA | 2018 edition

At any rate, see what happens when you get to LHR because, as always, the airport can always do more than the call centre can.
I am not the one who loses his temper. But I will see how BA manages the situation and if they care about their customers. Rerouting via AMS seems like the most reasonable option.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You might be surprised with yourself that you can function quite OK despite all that, hard it might be.

Quite a few of us have gone straight to work for a full day after an itinerary in Y that is far harder than LHR-CPT (bearing in mind if you end up stopping overnight in LHR you will have reduced the fatiguing component of a connecting flight from BRU-LHR that day) and survived perfectly OK. Some people even do this quite routinely.

Not much use psyching yourself out by saying you can't function, because you probably can.

I guess there is also a question of availability on the KL flight.
I have done that many times actually but this is different to being in an office or a meeting. I am manning an exhibition stand. So I will need to have my suit ready and be on my feet the whole day. Even with a good night sleep, it is tough!!!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

I am not the one who loses his temper.
You don't need to lose your temper to end up in the DYKWIA thread - just DYKWIA-like conduct will suffice for in-forum entertainment purposes. Most of the cases reported do not involve anyone losing their temper
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
In that case I think your employer has some responsibility here! This kind of thing is going to happen from time to time, and if they insist on Y, then they should stump up for J for the times you have to work the next day. BA isn't responsible for consequential losses (although having said that I do hope they put you in J), although BA are responsible for EU261.
is this the case for EU261. We have been told the inbound LHR-BRU is now operated by a remplacement aircraft. Can’t verify that. If so, I am still entitled to EU261.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would also start looking at hotels around Heathrow for tonight for options in case BA cannot get you out tonight

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I can confirm that there has been an aircraft change due to the scheduled aircraft having a technical fault.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Lufthansa , British Airways, IHG, Hilton, Marriott
from expedia

Sofital at £169 walking distance t5
Hyatt Place £75
Hilton heathrow Terminal 5 (not walking distance) £109
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not worry about EC 261/2004 compensation at this point. If indeed there was an aircraft swap due to a technical fault on the originally-scheduled aircraft on the inbound and that results in a delay of over 4 hours into your final ticketed destination, which I take to be CPT (presuming single ticket BRU-CPT), then you will be due EUR 600 as well as a hotel. But, that is not something to be concerned about now. Focus on that after your return.

Right now, focus on establishing your reroute to CPT. If indeed the best that BA can do is to tomorrow night, then go ahead and cancel the ticket for a full refund and purchase the KL ticket. You won't get any compensation nor will your hotel be covered, but you will be in CPT 12 hours earlier than scheduled. Alternatively, sit back and ask yourself whether "powering through" a lousy trip and less recovery time at CPT is worth the EUR 600 in your pocket.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bazza1603
from expedia

Sofital at £169 walking distance t5
Hyatt Place £75
Hilton heathrow Terminal 5 (not walking distance) £109
Thanks a lot. Sofitel would be the most convenient. Don’t know if BA gives it as an option though.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:36 pm

Frustrating but a bit of calming down is in order. These things happen....better to focus on getting the outcome you want rather than getting worked up.

A delay like this does not entitle you to an upgrade, however the EC compensation of €600 could be invested towards an upgrade if available. Alternatively if your preference is to be rerouted (if space is available) then make the case firmly and politely.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is almost certain that if you travel to LHR tonight you will be put in a hotel and you will travel on one of the BA flights to CPT tomorrow. BA is not going to rebook you onto KLM and send you on a more complex itinerary than than the direct BA flight tomorrow. You will certainly not get a WTP let alone or CW seat - forget it.

If I was you I would be buy the KLM ticket for tomorrow now and then call BA and cancel/ask a refund of the BA ticket. Ask for the BA ticket to be anoted that you cancel due to flight delay/missed connection and that you will buy a KLM ticket on your own as rerouting to KLM has been refused. The EC Reg. 261/04 comp. should be able to cover the fare difference to KLM ticket.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold

Thanks a lot. Sofitel would be the most convenient. Don’t know if BA gives it as an option though.
Book it yourself and claim it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.