Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

options for short trip to LAS over new year

Old Nov 10, 18, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue

So I've decided to go to LAS just for 4 nights. J fares ex-LON are £3500, which is out.

So I have a choice of £1750 EX-DUB BA J, £1350 ex-LON in BA W or £800 PE NZ (to LAX)- or wait for a possible black Friday sale)

As I am leaving on boxing day, ex-DUB is difficult as I can't fly the night before and I believe back to backs are more tricky these days.

So the easiest will be PE from London on BA, but I'm rather tempted by the £800 fare LAX on NZ PE (which would be around £950 with connecting flights but still save around £400).

Tricky one. I've only flown J on NZ and it was very good but not PE - and BA to LAS are generally older planes.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 10, 18, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
J all the way.
Try to grab upper deck on the 747.
irmster likes this.
Old Nov 10, 18, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by irmster View Post
So I've decided to go to LAS just for 4 nights. J fares ex-LON are £3500, which is out.

So I have a choice of £1750 EX-DUB BA J, £1350 ex-LON in BA W or £800 PE NZ (to LAX)- or wait for a possible black Friday sale)

As I am leaving on boxing day, ex-DUB is difficult as I can't fly the night before and I believe back to backs are more tricky these days.

So the easiest will be PE from London on BA, but I'm rather tempted by the £800 fare LAX on NZ PE (which would be around £950 with connecting flights but still save around £400).

Tricky one. I've only flown J on NZ and it was very good but not PE - and BA to LAS are generally older planes.

Any thoughts?
No Avios/ Credit card points?

Id be tempted by the NZ option, just to try the product and avoid old WT+ on BA, esp at 1350.

Iíd prob take BA Y over WT+ if itís 1350, itís simply not worth it
irmster likes this.
Old Nov 10, 18, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't like PE, but PE on NZ is quite a bit better than on BA.
irmster likes this.
Old Nov 10, 18, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post

No Avios/ Credit card points?

Id be tempted by the NZ option, just to try the product and avoid old WT+ on BA, esp at 1350.

I’d prob take BA Y over WT+ if it’s 1350, it’s simply not worth it
I'm currently very Avios poor (and there's no redemption availability anyway).

Had the ex-DUB fare been a little lower and if I had more time, I would have gone with the Ex-DUB option (and if I was obsessed by TPs as I used to be!).

However, I've just booked NZ. I agree £1350 for WT+ is not worth it especially on an ageing 744 or the LGW 777s. BA Y was almost as much as NZ PE and the reviews for NZ are pretty good as is the price for that time of year.
Old Nov 10, 18, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience of NZ (admittedly not in PE) have been really good, top notch airline. BA could learn much from them!
irmster likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: