Search

Once in a lifetime A380 v 789 F help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Once in a lifetime A380 v 789 F help

Hi,

This topic's probably been done to death by now but I have the Amex 2-4-1 voucher and I'm intending to bring a family member as my plus one on a First Class flight either from London to Kuala Lumpur on the 789 or London to Singapore on the A380. Both are 7-9pmish flights. My family member has never taken first class in their life and I probably will limit my BA F experience to this one time too (gotta save up for CX and MH!) We're both around 5 feet in height so space is not an issue, but I'd just like to know from those who have taken both which is a better, once in a lifetime experience?

Any input would be helpful and much appreciated!

edit: I live in a town in between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore so destination does not matter for me and my family member!

Last edited by ms101; Nov 10, 2018 at 7:33 am
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think the A380 is the better F experience of the two.
bisonrav and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
For a first time F flyer, A380 will be more impressive experience IMHO.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Although the A380 is impressive as a plane, which will undoubtedly add to the experience, I prefer the 789 because the F cabin is smaller (8 compared to 14) and therefore has a more special and exclusive feel to it.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
789 for the better seat, better windows, and better air quality.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Note there is no buddy seat on the 789. I would go for the A380. But, in the end it might be decided by which flights actually F availabilty that suits your dates.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A380 - bigger seat, no screen in your face, better windows (the 787 windows are so stupid), more space, better build quality, better service routine (1 galley space, 1 crew for each aisle)
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:47 am

Also there are 2 loos in the A380 cabin, so after your buddy dining you can poo at the same time too. Not in the same cubicle, I should add.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:08 am

They’re both good products but Depending on what you want to do when you get to Asia, I’d consider the destination here as well. If you’ve not been to either before, I would say Singapore is probably a much better choice as there is more do and see etc. And in my opinion a much cleaner and more attractive city than KL.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’d second the ‘choose where you want to go’ and obviously which you manage to get seats on for your dates anyway. If this is ‘once in a lifetime’ sort of thing the flight part will be very enjoyable either way. I have my personal preference but the jury is knowingly split on this and ultimately it will be a very nice flight either way.

Basically, on ft, we sometimes tend to blow relatively marginal differences out of proportion but ultimately there isn’t a huge amount between those two while the two cities are actually quite different...
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Why not do both?

Connections from KUL-SIN are cheap and easy
Ldnn1, madfish, LTN Phobia and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by teledude
Why not do both?

Connections from KUL-SIN are cheap and easy
Very valid point.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I’d second the ‘choose where you want to go’ and obviously which you manage to get seats on for your dates anyway. If this is ‘once in a lifetime’ sort of thing the flight part will be very enjoyable either way. I have my personal preference but the jury is knowingly split on this and ultimately it will be a very nice flight either way.

Basically, on ft, we sometimes tend to blow relatively marginal differences out of proportion but ultimately there isn’t a huge amount between those two while the two cities are actually quite different...
Agreed - I feel This post is a case a of the tail wagging the dog. If we were debating a once in a life time trip to New York in F, where you could end up on one of 3 aircraft types it would be a bit different. But with the two newest seats in the fleet and the big differences between cities, I’d get the destination right first!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
One thing that I’ve not seen discussed is that for sleeping the 789 has more space as the table comes out from the side of the shelf rather than the vertical mounted table. Found that gives much more room to spread out (for me at least).

Agree with other posters:
789 If you like big TVs
A380 for being sociable
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
A380: Bigger and steadier plane in the sky, offers two bathrooms (and if you're feeling frivolous you can hop upstairs to the front of the Club cabin for another two), buddy seat.

Air quality I don't notice between the two planes. I find the 789 noisier, despite what technical data may say. Also potentially more chance of a 789 being switched out for another aircraft type due to the juggling happening with these aircraft at the moment.

So A380 takes it for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.