Once in a lifetime A380 v 789 F help

Old Nov 10, 18, 7:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Every single day of the week I would choose the 789 over the a380 IMO. Better configuration 8v14 so ‘feels’ ,ore eclusive. I find the 789 a fantastic plane for flying and recovery after flight. Significantly better IFE. A380 has a little more space and a somewhat better toilet set up.
Old Nov 10, 18, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by Joshm300 View Post
They’re both good products but Depending on what you want to do when you get to Asia, I’d consider the destination here as well. If you’ve not been to either before, I would say Singapore is probably a much better choice as there is more do and see etc. And in my opinion a much cleaner and more attractive city than KL.
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I’d second the ‘choose where you want to go’ and obviously which you manage to get seats on for your dates anyway. If this is ‘once in a lifetime’ sort of thing the flight part will be very enjoyable either way. I have my personal preference but the jury is knowingly split on this and ultimately it will be a very nice flight either way.

Basically, on ft, we sometimes tend to blow relatively marginal differences out of proportion but ultimately there isn’t a huge amount between those two while the two cities are actually quite different...
Originally Posted by Joshm300 View Post

Agreed - I feel This post is a case a of the tail wagging the dog. If we were debating a once in a life time trip to New York in F, where you could end up on one of 3 aircraft types it would be a bit different. But with the two newest seats in the fleet and the big differences between cities, I’d get the destination right first!
My hometown is directly in between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore so I have no obvious preference! (hence the dilemma.....)
Old Nov 10, 18, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
Note there is no buddy seat on the 789. I would go for the A380. But, in the end it might be decided by which flights actually F availabilty that suits your dates.
very true! i've been checking availability as SIN has way more award seats available, no doubt because there's 14 F seats instead of 8!
Old Nov 10, 18, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by teledude View Post
Why not do both?

Connections from KUL-SIN are cheap and easy
Would love to but sadly not enough avios for that many Europe-Asia trips! recently moved back to Asia and not many credit card bonuses, sadly enough. the thought of all the credit card promos back in London is making me reconsider my moving!
Old Nov 10, 18, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, Krisflyer Gold
It'd be the A380 for me every time, especially if you're flying together.
Old Nov 10, 18, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Another vote for the A380. Never been on the 789 but IMO the overall feel and ambience within the F cabin on the A380 is fantastic and the sense of space around you at your seat is quite impressive, especially for a very infrequent visitor to the F cabin like myself.
Old Nov 10, 18, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
For a first time F flyer, A380 will be more impressive experience IMHO.
This.
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:26 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
I agree that A380 is better for your first First, but having been fortunate enough to do both, I will say the 787 has its advantages as well and should not be turned down if given given the opportunity to do that for your second First
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ms101 View Post
Would love to but sadly not enough avios for that many Europe-Asia trips! recently moved back to Asia and not many credit card bonuses, sadly enough. the thought of all the credit card promos back in London is making me reconsider my moving!
Assuming this is a round trip rather than one way, I think the suggestion was an ‘open jaw’ ticket, so flying into either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur and then out of the other, so as to try both aircraft. You can’t book this online but CAN book an open jaw by calling up. I think SIN and KUL are in the same zone.

Ideally, I would fly into KUL and back from SIN as the lounge options, in my view, are better in Singapore, including the Concorde Bar in the BA lounge or the Qantas club. Just be careful that the agent books you on the A380 not the 777-300 continuing through from Sydney.

If only one way then I honestly think it’s swings and roundabouts. I would personally choose the A380 given a straight choice though.
Old Nov 10, 18, 2:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
My personal thoughts on F cabins/seats on 787-9 and A380:

787-9 has a somewhat (some might say very) claustrophobic feel to it until you sit down in your seat because of the high 'walls' around the seat and generally smaller airframe, and because there are overhead lockers hanging over into the aisle, so to speak.

787-9 seats have more privacy than the A380 ones.

787-9 has no buddy dining facility. If you want a buddy dining facility, I'd definitely recommend the A380.

787-9 has a smaller cabin (8 vs 14 on the A380), so it feels more cosy.

A380 has a bit of space to stretch near the looks by the stairs.

A380 definitely feels more spacious than the 787-9.

A380 buddy seat isn't too uncomfortable.

If you are able to, you could always try A380 out of Singapore to LHR, then the 787-9 to KL on the way back.