Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Entering Known Traveler # on BA (TSA PRECHECK)

Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:48 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.

BA site says tsa precheck information can be entered during online check-in. I was under the impression that airlines have to get that information 72 hours before flight, but perhaps things changed. I can't find any place to enter KTN in Manage Fights. Anyone had successfully entered TSA precheck info 24 hours before fight during checking in?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Manage my booking > advance passenger information.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:03 pm
a7m
Original Poster

My flight was booked through Iberia (return flight is operated by BA). I can access my res on BA site, but I can't access Advanced Pass Information. It asks me to verify my identity by entering my passport # I used on the inbound flight, but when I enter it, it's not accepted. So my only hope is to provide KTN during check-in. That's why I asked about it.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you add it in at check-in there is a fair chance it won't take, I fear, so best done in advance. I wonder if Iberia has a slightly different passport number, but I guess you could try ringing up BA to see if an agent can force it through (possibly they won't be able to if this is essentially an IB booking).

The important factor is that it is on your booking, in the top section of MMB, but it's not in the BAEC profile information. If you put in there before OLCI then the self printed and check-in desk printed boarding passes with have Pre Check clearly printed on them (unless you're randomly sent out to Priority). However it still doesn't show on the App boarding pass. In the future both the profile and App are supposed to be enable for Known Traveler / Pre-Check.

You are looking for something like this:

Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:41 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Thanks for advice. I called BA and the agent managed to update information, including passport number and KTN.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
no KTN entry in profile

After reading this thread, I logged into BA's site to edit my profile but found no place to enter my KTN. If I call BA will they make this a permanent addition to my profile?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by billgrates3
After reading this thread, I logged into BA's site to edit my profile but found no place to enter my KTN. If I call BA will they make this a permanent addition to my profile?
No, currently not possible you have to add it to every booking yourself.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Airprox
No, currently not possible you have to add it to every booking yourself.
Once upon a time I had this and passport details permanently in my profile (after speaking to someone on the BAEC Gold line). Then my passport needed renewing and I changed my BAEC profile, and neither KTN or passport number ever stuck again :-/
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by abligh
Once upon a time I had this and passport details permanently in my profile (after speaking to someone on the BAEC Gold line). Then my passport needed renewing and I changed my BAEC profile, and neither KTN or passport number ever stuck again :-/
KTN has never been on BA's or BAEC's systems, to the best of my knowledge. However KTN was / is supported by other GDS interfaces, for example used by a corporate booking system, so KTNs could in certain circumstances populate AA flights on BA bookings. Plus I suspect AA's system had some algorithm on their side of the house for regular flyers. No reason why the passport number shouldn't stick, however, it's best in place before booking, however again a corporate booking system can plonk reservations into life in such a way that they don't read over the BAEC profile information.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:36 am

I've been able to add my KTN at airport check-in in the US. I'd only been issued the number a day beforehand (completing Global Entry enrolment on arrival at JFK) and an AA agent was able to add it to the return leg of my BA-ticketed itinerary. AA at least were then able to check it in real time and issue me with a TSA Pre BP.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For the most part, KTN entry to TSA-Precheck clearance is relatively instant. On very rare occasions, it is not. Those are due either to connectivity issues between the carrier and TSA or because there is a real issue in clearing Pre-Check (which may occur randomly or for an undisclosed, e.g. security reason).
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was always under the impression BA didnt participate in TSA-Precheck. Has this changed recently? Would be a great improvement if it had!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
KTN has never been on BA's or BAEC's systems, to the best of my knowledge. However KTN was / is supported by other GDS interfaces, for example used by a corporate booking system, so KTNs could in certain circumstances populate AA flights on BA bookings. Plus I suspect AA's system had some algorithm on their side of the house for regular flyers. No reason why the passport number shouldn't stick, however, it's best in place before booking, however again a corporate booking system can plonk reservations into life in such a way that they don't read over the BAEC profile information.
Assuming we are both meaning the same thing (where I put my Global Entry-provided TSE pre number), I think you might be mistaken about this. I can enter my KTN now at MMB in the field labelled "Known Traveller Number(optional)Known Traveller Number or Pass ID for TSA PreCheck and Global Entry. Currently only available on the printed boarding passes (mobile boarding passes are not currently TSA PreCheck enabled) More about TSA Precheck.". Whilst it's not there now (and I don't think was there at first), once upon a time (I think it disappeared in a web site refresh) I could also enter this into my "Update your personal information" profile - in theory, as it never actually stuck there, and neither did my passport info. So I called BAEC gold and got them to put them both in, and it stuck (even though the field was removed) until such time as my passport expired and I updated the passport number, and since then nothing (passport included) has ever stuck again. It's possible my memory may be failing me but ...

Also the checkbox marked "Save time in future by saving these details to my British Airways Profile" never seems to work for me. More accurately the data is saved, but is never actually reused on a new booking even if I book with may BAEC number, so it saves no time at all.

For compatibility with other carriers, I'm travelling today on a Swiss booked United flight operated by LH, and I can't get either passport or KTN to stick with any of their sites.

Last edited by abligh; Nov 12, 2018 at 2:01 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cheapskate22
I was always under the impression BA didnt participate in TSA-Precheck. Has this changed recently? Would be a great improvement if it had!

BA has been in Pre since April/May this year.
Cheapskate22 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
TSA Pre logo now on mobile Boarding Pass

The TSA Pre logo used to be available only on paper boarding passes printed at the check-in counter. I am happy to report that the logo now also shows up on mobile boarding passes.

Check the other thread:
TSA Precheck [BA Participation]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.