Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transferring Large Amount of Amex MR to Avios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring Large Amount of Amex MR to Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I personally wouldn't transfer anything to Avios these days. Other rewards are always better value. I stopped using avios.com and started using topcashback instead and the value is WAY greater. In my opinion the only avios related thing that is actually decent value is the 2for1 voucher. But even then. After taxs, charges and fees. What is the point? You are still paying Ł1000's for your ticket with BA. It's a total con really.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
You're in danger of confusing BA with BAEC.
True, to be accurate I feel what you can achieve with avios via BAEC is very poor value compared to what else is available! While it has some good partners I have never yet redeemed avios as my prefered currency for flights on those partners unless its a very short flight. Overall it seems like a terrible value proposition to what could be obtained elsewhere!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by newamexmiles
.... use this new Everyday Card for our family purchases and erase them with the MR points. I understand this is going to only give us 1 cent per point.....
I believe this will yield only $0.006 per point.

Amazon redemptions are $.0.007 per point.

See here:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...svc/pricinghub
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

You're absolutely right, mia. Thank you for pointing that out! I'll be shifting my strategy to use the points for purchases at Amazon and looking to use them for flights when we travel in the future.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
May I add my welcome to newamexmiles! Hope you'll stay with us regardless of whether you transfer those avios.

I would say that if you plan to primarily redeem on AS, it would make a lot more sense to transfer your MRs (if at all) to AS. The relevant AS partnership is actually neither with avios nor with BA but with BAEC here and while I am not aware of any rumour that it will be discontinued, it may at any time. Moreover, there have been numerous suggestions that BAEC might become revenue base (if it follows the pattern of the other two leading European FFPs this would not be about status accrual but about either award miles and/or redemptions). While partners are usually excluded from revenue/cost based operations, airlines switching to that model can occasionally take the change as an excuse to worse partner redemptions too.

Surcharges not just US to UK but effectively based on airline carrier surcharges, so BA is the worst currently (to any destination) but a few other airlines impose such high surcharges too.

Finally, there are no blackout dates on BAEC (unlike some other programmes) but availability is limited. On many routes/airlines, 6 seats would effectively never be offered. Also beware that for any partner airline with award "band" systems, only the cheapest band is available for award through BAEC (and generally partners) which is one of the reasons to transfer to he programme of whatever airline you are likely to use most (another is that mileage promotions - be they for accrual or redemption - are typically only for flights on the airline itself and never for partners except within Joint Ventures).
I don't know if you meant "AS" as Alaska Airlines or if it is an abbrevation for Avios, but nothing basically transfers to Alaska Airlines.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't know if you meant "AS" as Alaska Airlines or if it is an abbrevation for Avios, but nothing basically transfers to Alaska Airlines.
Ah thanks - I meant Alaska indeed and did not realise that they were not a transfer option.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ah thanks - I meant Alaska indeed and did not realise that they were not a transfer option.
Yea, AA and AS miles are usually not easily obtained by transferring (Marriott and SPG transfer to any program though, basically, but not that easy to obtain points anymore), so people usually use BA to get redemptions on them.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Membership Rewards (USA) can transfer to these partners to redeem for travel on Alaska Airlines. Award seat availability should be the same for all partners, but the number of points/miles required may vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.