Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Next Revenue Generator - Pay for Status [speculation, not fact]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next Revenue Generator - Pay for Status [speculation, not fact]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Can you just not send one of your minions up and down to EDI/MAN/NCL etc a few times using your FF number, to get the required tier points?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Hasn't this been around with American for a while? And that said, I don't think everyone is eligible for such pay ups.

I'd frankly be surprised if BA does this.
It's more of a top-up, than outright buying of status. I had a light year (only because I flew on points which of course don't count) and was offered to pay and retain my status. You are right that not everyone qualifies.

I still don't see it happening on BA, although a status match is something BA should consider re-implementing (unless the page I found which says unavailable, is the out of date page)! As AA raises the elite qualifying dollar requirement, I bet there are some EXPs who would switch to BAEC but might balk at starting from scratch.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Yesssss ... more holidays, with Creative Routings!

I don’t really get excited about the 2-way street mentality, BUT if I fly BA (or OW partners) enough then I receive ‘recognition’ for doing that.

Any idea of ‘purchased’ status is, IMO, ludicrous. Corporates could uplift their executives as a bonus, or just routinely, for a modest outlay. The Lounges would be ‘standing room only’ for everyone, and consider the howls of protest here!

BAEC is a funny old British thing, which has evolved sensibly, Leave it alone!
Here here ^
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
LH offered to extend my SEN status a few years back. I think it was priced at Eur 1500 for the year. I declined.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:47 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gig103
It's more of a top-up, than outright buying of status. I had a light year (only because I flew on points which of course don't count) and was offered to pay and retain my status. You are right that not everyone qualifies.

I still don't see it happening on BA, although a status match is something BA should consider re-implementing (unless the page I found which says unavailable, is the out of date page)! As AA raises the elite qualifying dollar requirement, I bet there are some EXPs who would switch to BAEC but might balk at starting from scratch.
yes
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:42 pm

I wonder if this is something that we might see in the changing world of cobranded credit cards as we get used to the European cap on interchange fees?

The Amex BAEC cards won't live forever in their current guise.

​​​​​​​Visa/Master Card with lower earning rate and complimentary Bronze or maybe a "Blue Plus"?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you were mad and sent a cheque for 100,000 Pounds to Alex Cruz saying that you would like a Gold card for one year in exchange I am not 100% sure that they would turn it down?! Or a million Pounds for lifetime Guest List...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:44 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
If you were mad and sent a cheque for 100,000 Pounds to Alex Cruz saying that you would like a Gold card for one year in exchange I am not 100% sure that they would turn it down?! Or a million Pounds for lifetime Guest List...
they could probably turn it down because they could be convicted of bribery
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Here in the US, around this time of year AA will take a look at a travelers progress towards the next status level and may offer a buy up to get to that next tier. As AA status is now tied to spend as well as the typical miles/segments, the buy up offers tend to vary a little depending on which particular qualifying requirement is the most deficient. I’ve had offers the last few years, but I’ve usually had a TATL leg on BA over Christmas to get me over the hump, so I’ve always declined the offer.

They also have branded credit cards to help achieve status. Spend $40K on the card in a year and they will add 10K qualifying miles to your AAdvantage account. Another card with sufficient annual spend will credit towards the $3K required spend on AA to achieve status.

AA miles have gotten so hard to spend these days and when you can spend them, the redemption rates are exorbitant, that I pretty much just keep my AA credit card because of the accompanying lounge access that comes with it and all my usual spend goes on the Costco Visa card (issued by the same bank as the AAdvantage card so they can see my spending habits) and goes towards a cash back award.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
in the US the VS credit card gives / used to give (think it may have ended) you TPs for reaching a certain level of spending each month but this was restricted to a maximum you could earn not only per month but also in a year so you were still expected to fly a reasonable amount to reach even VS silver let alone gold

But, to me, some of the US schemes seem overly complicated where you may reach the $$ spend but not the mileage/ segment requirement.
It's not that bad once you get used to it. Most of my flying is ST (Delta has the most mainline service to Podunk Beach, so easy to stick with them on cash ticket purchases) so I go with the AmEx Delta Platinum card here. $195 annual fee, but after the first year, you get a BOGO certificate for a domestic economy route. Since Podunk Beach is a pretty uncompetitive airfare market, I'll more than break even on that benefit alone.

$25K on the card in a year gets you a waiver from the spending requirements and 10K in elite-qualifying miles. hit $50K on the card in a year and you get another 10K elite-qualifying miles. So not status purely on the card, but it definitely helps.

The new Flying Blue credit card for USA users also comes with a good number of XPs as a benefit. Given how awfully stingy the revised FB program is in awarding XPs for US domestic routes, it's going to be hugely helpful for anyone who wants to credit Delta flights to FB and still get status. (There are a few sweet spots in terms of Delta fare codes and redeemable miles if you credit those flights to FB so the card could be a big help in letting you have it both ways if your travel needs meet those sweet spots)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
LH offered to extend my SEN status a few years back. I think it was priced at Eur 1500 for the year. I declined.
I was just thinking this actually, that once you obtain a Miles and More status you can pay a yearly fee to keep it.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Although the AA programme has changed beyond recognition in the long time I have been a member I don't think it has ever been possible to simply purchase status. As has already ben pointed out, opportunities to pay to retain earned status for an extended period or marginal leg-ups do exist but you still have to fly significant amounts year after year to qualify.

I have no idea whether BA are thinking of introducing something along those lines but I very much doubt the ability to make an outright purchase would ever feature.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If it takes the model like SQ PPS (revenue-based, not pay-for thing) alongside the normal one, I can only see positives.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I think AA only allows to purchase a lounge card giving access to their lower tier owned lounges (Admirals Club), without granting any of the benefits of OneWorld.

I am personally against selling status as well as adding a minimum spend pre-requisite to get it by flying. If rules are set correctly, it should be extremely difficult to attain Sapphire and Emerald in a way that is "not profitable" for the airline...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:04 am
ECR

Airberlin offered status via credit card spend but I assume it was part of a revenue raising exercise by a struggling airline. I have a vague recollection of BMI selling status towards the end, but I may have misremembered.

Amex used to offer Oneworld Sapphire status (via Cathay Pacific) with the platinum card with a Ł450 annual fee. If they still offered this I would not be spending money on flights to get BA status, and would instead spend my avios.

I think Iberia have a credit card with fee which offers Ruby status. I can't see BA following suit, but if they did I'm sure it would follow the Iberia model, i.e. offering Bronze which offers very little which will cost the airline, but maybe just enough to make people feel slightly important enough to drive loyalty towards the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.