Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW FLounge: Rammed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
It seems to have come along in the last few years, I think mostly (because its recent) used by the under 40/'s50's. I'm British but sadly have passed that milestone, so would normally say 'jammed' or 'crammed ' - or even 'packed'.
Ah but surely only by the merest whisker Ms. Gypsy! Actually the origin is quite old but very British: it relates to the phrase "ramming a cannon", where you (well, maybe not you precisely) would stuff the barrel with as much shot as you could before firing in the general direction of the French/Spanish. I think Indians use the phrase (e.g. rammed to the rafters) but not many others. I remember using the phrase in South Island New Zealand and not being understood.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Jam-packed would be another example.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Chocca

I've been there on a Friday afternoon/ evening and it was very busy. It's a nice lounge, but the food section is a bit cramped, so when the lounge is busy it can occasionally be a bit uncomfortable
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:06 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

To me, this is very bad planning of BA. If they had already planned to move so many flights including Intercontinental ones to LGW, they could have planned better in the lounge size (and offerings) when they did the renovation a couple of years back. This is what I guess happens when things are not planned properly and now capacity is not sufficient leading to bad experiences.

Cheers!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
I've been there a fair few times on Saturday & Sunday mornings always found it nice & quiet. I go to my "usual" seat in the far right corner overlooking the runway every time.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by xooz
I learn something old every day...
But I'd be pissed if I got to the lounge and didn't have a place to sit and get pissed...
No. You would be 'pissed off' that you couldn't get pissed.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nldogbert
To me, this is very bad planning of BA. If they had already planned to move so many flights including Intercontinental ones to LGW, they could have planned better in the lounge size (and offerings) when they did the renovation a couple of years back. This is what I guess happens when things are not planned properly and now capacity is not sufficient leading to bad experiences.

Cheers!
The South Terminal is not a new building. You can only plan to the space you are given.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Hoaching up here!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
I think any lounge suffers from the occasional period of being viewed as very busy. Short of actually struggling to find a seat at all then it's a fairly subjective thing anyway. Going by the thread it seems to cope most the time and it's sensible to a degree to use space in the Club lounge which is busier more of the time than to have a massive F which has a comparatively lower footfall. I can understand the frustration of course but if it's only an issue from time to time then it's doing okay imo. Remember delayed flights often have a knock on with how busy a lounge of any kind is.

When we flew out of there the other it ended up getting quite busy but the airfield was draped in fog and airspace use had been slowed down to make allowances for this which meant some flights departing later than planned and therefore more bodies in the lounge for longer. It happens sometimes. Of course i'm referring to the Club next door as my heathen self isn't allowed in such hallowed places as the Flounge
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Yetak
I’ve got my first visit there ( been to the Club Lounge, once before) a week today. 10.05 departure, so I guess we’ll be using it 0815-0915 ish. Is it likely to ram packed at that time ? I’m looking forward to a leisurely Full English with a Grey Goose Bloody Mary !
I was there a few hours prior to the OP on Friday from about 0900 to 1145 after transferring from LHR. It was a rare LGW visit for me on the direct flight to TPA. It wasn't busy and I thought the lounge was quite good. I set up my mobile office at the window end of the desk behind the breakfast buffet and caught up with some work while enjoying proper beans on toast.

As an off-topic aside, the aircraft on the TPA route yesterday was VIIT which had the Panasonic IFE so a very pleasant surprise.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I remember it was a routine thing that I could not find a seat at T4 BA lounge at LHR. Anyone remember that?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
I think any lounge suffers from the occasional period of being viewed as very busy. Short of actually struggling to find a seat at all then it's a fairly subjective thing anyway. Going by the thread it seems to cope most the time and it's sensible to a degree to use space in the Club lounge which is busier more of the time than to have a massive F which has a comparatively lower footfall. I can understand the frustration of course but if it's only an issue from time to time then it's doing okay imo. Remember delayed flights often have a knock on with how busy a lounge of any kind is.

When we flew out of there the other it ended up getting quite busy but the airfield was draped in fog and airspace use had been slowed down to make allowances for this which meant some flights departing later than planned and therefore more bodies in the lounge for longer. It happens sometimes. Of course i'm referring to the Club next door as my heathen self isn't allowed in such hallowed places as the Flounge
We should be thankful of the exclusion as I've heard they spend their time shoving all of the food and drinks into their bags to sneak on their holidays.

FLounge is a den of thieves and miscreants!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Heavin'
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
It was packed more full than a rammed, family-sized jar of marmalade when I visited on a Saturday afternoon a few weekends ago. My first ever time flying BA from LGW. Hate to say it, but I found it to be LHR's poorer sibling. From the underwhelming, understocked, pokey lounge, to the closed F desks, to the appalling boarding process, I will look to avoid LGW in the future. The Titan Airways flight was decent though!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
It was packed more full than a rammed, family-sized jar of marmalade when I visited on a Saturday afternoon a few weekends ago. My first ever time flying BA from LGW. Hate to say it, but I found it to be LHR's poorer sibling. From the underwhelming, understocked, pokey lounge, to the closed F desks, to the appalling boarding process, I will look to avoid LGW in the future. The Titan Airways flight was decent though!
I think you’ve been a bit unlucky.

Since the move to the south terminal I’ve found the BA setup pretty good. Club/First check in is usually always fast/quiet, the premium security lane is very fast (much more reliable than fast track at T5 with the exception of the wing) and the new lounges are better than the equivalent at LHR.

I do agree the gates and boarding process at LGW is not good enough and it’s a mass scrum even before boarding is called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.