Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's upgrade "formula"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by LCY8737

No F upgrades for HNL Golds. So sorry.
Ah, that is 'history'. We do it via other routes these days. Haven't been to Hawaii since ... oh, last August!

Our next renewal will not see HI feature at all!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Poisson process? Smells a bit fishy to me.
Just for those who don't know, the Poisson process is particularly helpful for airline revenue management as it allows you to model a so-called "arrivals process". The idea is that passengers make bookings/buy tickets in a way that over a large number of reservations is predictable. Hence you can model the proportion of passengers who are likely to "arrive" between the time now and the time of the flight, allowing you to understand how much of the so-called "demand to come" is left out there in the market, and you can then figure out how many seats to block for higher fare payers later vs. releasing for lower fare payers now.

Hope that makes sense!

Next time - explaining airline pricing using beer bottles (really!)...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by T8191
So, as a couple of Golds who always pay to fly CW (and indeed CE) why are we never given a free taste of First, or even FLub? Don’t they want to try and squeeze even more cash from our pockets? Or do they think I won’t live long enough to make it worth bothering?

Or do we have a record of flying AA too often?
I know you were joking but I suspect the algorithm decided that people of age S, originating from region J who fly to destination H, are unlikely to ever buy F. A proper algo will also have taken your email address syntax, your type of computer operating system and your credit card provider into consideration among other things into that decision.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Just for those who don't know, the Poisson process is particularly helpful for airline revenue management as it allows you to model a so-called "arrivals process". The idea is that passengers make bookings/buy tickets in a way that over a large number of reservations is predictable. Hence you can model the proportion of passengers who are likely to "arrive" between the time now and the time of the flight, allowing you to understand how much of the so-called "demand to come" is left out there in the market, and you can then figure out how many seats to block for higher fare payers later vs. releasing for lower fare payers now.

Hope that makes sense!

Next time - explaining airline pricing using beer bottles (really!)...
But of course, this assumes that passengers behave in a logial manner, and as we know once they start the travel process - leaving home yet alone when arriving at the airport, all predictability goes out of the window. Add into that mix the phase of the moon, the price of hobnobs and a multitude of other key factors, and it could (and usually) goes horribly wrong!

Just an example, an (outbound) upgrade (for one) from WT to WT+ TATL came in at over $21,000, but was recently reduced to a mere $9,983 - a bargin!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The wife and I have been upgraded from WT+ to CW on two occasions. GRU-LHR and LHR/YVR a week or two later. No idea about loads as I didn't go aft to see. Impossible to do but if it were down to me I'd only upgrade those who have never flown CW before.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA
Hello All.

I am not sure where to post this so apologies. I have a flight booked over Christmas and for it appears I have been upgraded to premium economy. I have no idea why! Any suggestions?

Thank you

Alan
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Alan Nevin
Hello All.

I am not sure where to post this so apologies. I have a flight booked over Christmas and for it appears I have been upgraded to premium economy. I have no idea why! Any suggestions?

Thank you

Alan
Suggestions for what? You’ve been upgraded 😊.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:42 pm

I have the fear it will be reversed!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
why do you think you have been upgraded?

Have you made an enquiry about the cost of an upgrade as sometimes that causes ghost seats to appear in MMB even though you didn't go through with it.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:44 pm

I have been able to select seats in Premium and Yes I did make an enquiry. What does MMB mean? How do I know if it is a ghost seat or not?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
MMB - Manage My Bookings

It would be surprising for BA to give someone a free upgrade this far in advance of the flight taking place. If they do it us usually a couple of days before or more usually on the day the flight. Which is why I think it is a 'ghost seat' and you'll still be in economy

See this recent post for example which also has some advice about checking MMB in the app or website - Flight upgrade
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:05 am

If I have changed travel classes would I normally receive a new ticket number? Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Alan Nevin
If I have changed travel classes would I normally receive a new ticket number?
It depends on when and how you changed from one cabin to another. If you can tell us what happened, then someone should know whether that would have involved a ticket reissue.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:12 pm

Has anyone been upgraded with a lap infant? My guess is that it reduces your chances...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:26 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I'm pretty sure lap infants remove you from the list. When our youngest was below 2 and was a lap infant, we have been on overbooked flights in WTP where others have gone from WT to CW and we have remained in WTP, despite all 3 seated passengers being gold (2 adults and 1 child). I would recommend splitting the party with a lap infant as I subjectively feel that your chances of getting the passengers not linked to the lap infant upgraded will be higher, however slim that may be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.