Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone reach gold from the back of the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald

With all my work travel booked during my current TP collection year, it looks like I am going to get 1350 tier points with all flights being taken at the back of the plane! Well to be accurate, I am sat around the middle off the plane as all my long haul travel is in the WTP cabin with occasional trips being made in Club Europe.
With this forum often discussing the service at the front of the plane, I wonder if there are any BAEC members (masochists?) who reach Gold with all travel being taken at the back of the plane?
LTN Phobia and Pelu like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:35 am

Yes, I got gold the first time with mostly WT and the odd WT+ trip. It's tough back there!

Are you going to push to get gold this year?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I got to gold with wtp on 8 hours+ long haul and everything else economy. It was a pain as I flew into the middle east quite a lot so I was in economy a fair amount on the gold run!

I've since moved company with a far better travel policy!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Yes, I got gold the first time with mostly WT and the odd WT+ trip. It's tough back there!

Are you going to push to get gold this year?
I salute you sir/madam for reaching gold from the back... I might have been able to do it 25 years ago, but I'm too old and think I have a little more sense now e.g. I was platinum with SkyTeam taking ALL flights at the back of KLM, Alitalia and Northwest planes!
I will do a long weekend WTP run to LAX to push me over the line.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'm too old and decrepit for that now, but I did reach OWE (Qantas Platinum) by flying essentially exclusively in discount economy* some years ago (and I ended up with a partner gold card (OWS) off that back of that, so it would have been about double what was required to qualify...), and kept that up for a couple of years before I slowly started creeping forward. It was let's say character-forming

*When I say that, I don't mean the rest was in J or PE - the rest was simply non-discounted economy...
TonyHancock and argonath like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I've done it (just) using WT+ for many pond hops. Not sure if you would call that "back of the bus". Nowadays I just make silver. Which, to be honest is fine.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:47 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IntVic
With all my work travel booked during my current TP collection year, it looks like I am going to get 1350 tier points with all flights being taken at the back of the plane! Well to be accurate, I am sat around the middle off the plane as all my long haul travel is in the WTP cabin with occasional trips being made in Club Europe.
With this forum often discussing the service at the front of the plane, I wonder if there are any BAEC members (masochists?) who reach Gold with all travel being taken at the back of the plane?
Well done ^^

Last edited by argonath; Nov 9, 2018 at 5:47 am Reason: Missing a thumbs up
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Yup, I've been gold for about five years now with the vast majority of my travel down the back of the bus. My current record year is just over 2000 TPs but I'm going to blast through it this year as I'm on 1350 TPs already and my collection year starts/ends in May.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
Last year I made Gold (3,500) TP using only Premium cabin, and then I changed jobs. The new job has a Y only policy. This year I've renewed gold after 9 month and have only flown Y. That’s a total of 125 sectors (around 20 LH and the rest SH). I now have a bad back and a strong desire to get back in to a job with a decent travel policy!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
The new job has a Y only policy. This year I've renewed gold after 9 month and have only flown Y. That’s a total of 125 sectors (around 20 LH and the rest SH). I now have a bad back and a strong desire to get back in to a job with a decent travel policy! [/color]
You have my genuine sympathy. Bad back and Y is a highly unpleasant combination!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IntVic
Well to be accurate, I am sat around the middle off the plane as all my long haul travel is in the WTP cabin with occasional trips being made in Club Europe.

If "the back of the plane" therefore includes WT+, that's how I first got to Gold.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If "the back of the plane" therefore includes WT+, that's how I first got to Gold.
Not on mid-J 747s!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
I am both too old and overweight to take any pleasure from acheiving this but I am now at 1,345 TPs all booked in Y with my year ending in April and will acheive Gold in the next couple of weeks.<br /><br />So far this TP year this has been involved 11 LHR-HKG round trips in Y on a mix of BA and CX, and a couple to PEK along with a handful of short haul european trips.<br /><br />In 33 legs all booked in Y BA has treated me twice to WTP upgrades, which in comparison is so much nicer.<br /><br />It is no fun to do all this in Y, but small pleasures can be taken in having a free seat next to you, waking up on the flight back from HKG to find you are West of Moscow and at least there are only 4 hours to go and ...errr thats about it - although I do quite enjoy Qantas lounge at HKG where I spend too much time.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I too was one who used to qualify solely in discounted Y (not even wt+ as I dislike it and find it a waste of money). Not any more but my y flights would actually not be that far off the 1500 bar.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I too was one who used to qualify solely in discounted Y (not even wt+ as I dislike it and find it a waste of money). Not any more but my y flights would actually not be that far off the 1500 bar.
I have to ask, what do you dislike about WT+ that you like about WT? It's literally WT but more legroom, more recline, wider seat, better food, quieter cabin.
THEOBCMAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.