Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

B2B at Gothenburg then T5/T3 transfer for Miami - luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness

I have an ex-EU to Miami tomorrow. Flying from LHR T5 to Gothenburg using Avios then flying GOT-LHR-MIA

When I get back to LHR T5 I need to transfer to T3 to catch my flight to Miami

So far so good

Small problem: checked luggage.

I need to be HBO for the B2B at GOT. Which means leaving my suitcase at LHR and picking it up when I come back from GOT and checking it in for the flight to Miami.

So - leave the suitcase at T5 left luggage, fly to GOT and back, go airside through passport control at T5, collect the suitcase from left luggage, Heathrow Express to T3 and check in the suitcase there?

I have 3.5 hours in Heathrow should should be plenty of time, but feels like there should be an easier way - I don't think I can check the suitcase in at T5 before I fly to GOT as the Miami flight will be leaving from T3. Correct?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Have you tried Airportr to collect your checked luggage and check it in to your Miami flight?

Theres also a risk, small I take it but say there is irrops at GOT and they route you to Miami via HEL and JFK for example you will have no checked luggage.

Cant remember the circumstances but one Flyertalker did go on their long haul trip with just their phone, passport and charger I believe.

Id most definitely try Airportr though as 3.5hrs sounds a lot but in reality it isn’t. Have a great trip.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes correct you can’t check in your bag at T5 for a T3 flight though you could check it in at T3 and then use the landside route to T5 for your GOT flight which could be a right palava but your going to be doing a lot of faffing whatever you do.

Airportr could be a solution - assuming you’re in their service area of course which they have expanded recently It’s not just London - I’d use the collect at home/office but you collect it from them at T3 service and then check it in yourself.

orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Nov 9, 2018 at 3:42 am
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Will Airportr actually accept luggage to be checked mid-itinerary though?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure. Plus for the check in service you’d need to do OLCI and show them BPs when they pick up the bags which may not be possible if the OP needs an airport documents check or gets SSSS which is why I suggested the non check in but deliver to the airport option.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Not sure. Plus for the check in service you’d need to do OLCI and show them BPs when they pick up the bags which may not be possible if the OP needs an airport documents check or gets SSSS which is why I suggested the non check in but deliver to the airport option.
Airportr’s T3 meeting point in T3 is arrivals next to Marks & Spencer if going down that route then need to head for departures. Might just as well go for T5 Left luggage as no back tracking and not much deviation from International Arrivals to HEX or Tube.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ned1968
I have 3.5 hours in Heathrow should should be plenty of time ...
If your GOT-LHR is on time.

If it's two hours late, your plan is pretty much dead in the water.

Do you have time to try to check the bag at T3 before you fly LHR-GOT? Thinking about the likely timings of your LHR-GOT-LHR flights, I suspect the answer is no, even if (and that's a big "if" in my mind) T3 would accept a bag that early and would accept it for LHR-MIA before you've flown GOT-LHR.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If your GOT-LHR is on time.

If it's two hours late, your plan is pretty much dead in the water.

Do you have time to try to check the bag at T3 before you fly LHR-GOT? Thinking about the likely timings of your LHR-GOT-LHR flights, I suspect the answer is no, even if (and that's a big "if" in my mind) T3 would accept a bag that early and would accept it for LHR-MIA before you've flown GOT-LHR.
I won't have time to visit T3 first tomorrow morning so fingers crossed the GOT-LHR flight is roughly on time. If not, then I might go to Miami but my suitcase has a holiday in left luggage at T5!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If not, then I might go to Miami but my suitcase has a holiday in left luggage at T5!
If that backup plan works for you, then no problem!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If that backup plan works for you, then no problem!
Except I left out one other part - Mrs Ned is coming along so while I might be relaxed about the suitcase having to stay behind at LHR I suspect Mrs Ned might have a different outlook
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except I left out one other part - Mrs Ned is coming along so while I might be relaxed about the suitcase having to stay behind at LHR I suspect Mrs Ned might have a different outlook
I'm sure Mrs Ned will have a marvellous time shopping for new outfits as you walk 3 paces behind carrying the bags and handing over the credit card to various shop assistants!
wrp96, Ned1968 and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Made it!
Dicksbits and Globaliser like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Made it!
Have a great trip!
Ned1968 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.