North West England to New York advice

Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:31 am
Original Poster

North West England to New York advice

Hello everyone,

I'm a silver with 200k avios to use, that may sound like I'm an affluent sort who travels round the world a lot, the truth is, every single one of those points has been earned via work related travel and I never really use them for personal travel, this year I have had a baby, purchased my first home, got engaged and planned a wedding. Holidays are way down the priority list HOWEVER in October 2019 I'd like to take my wife-to-be to NYC as she's never been, despite worries about how we could afford it I've said my points can easily cover such a journey and we can book an airbnb in Brooklyn for about 120 a night.

So knowing that flights are released 355 days in advance I started the search for the first time, can anyone tell me what the point of reward flights are or less flippantly if there's a better way to do it? I knew there'd be surcharges but I was thinking they'd be about 200 per person but off-peak economy flights we're looking at about 1.1k + Avios??? Why? You can get return flights on ba.com for 300 per person, I may as well buy them and knock 90 off with avios.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a cheaper way to do it? What about through Dublin with Aer Lingus?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
You will pay the exact same charges as a cash ticket.

As you suggest your your best bet might well be EI NCL-DUB-NYC which will work out cheaper and have the advantage of offering US pre clearance in DUB so you would then arrive in the US as basically a domestic passenger and not have to clear customs and immigration.

cs
docefc likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
As you've found long haul Avios awards often don't make sense compared to cash fares. Avios are better used for premium awards, upgrades and short haul RFS awards
docefc and BearX220 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Don't use Avios for long haul economy redemptions. It really is a complete waste as you save yourself almost nothing.

You would be much better advised to use them to travel in Club World or First. Taxes fees etc would be about 1.1k for 2 passengers.
docefc and argonath like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
You will pay the exact same charges as a cash ticket.

As you suggest your your best bet might well be EI NCL-DUB-NYC which will work out cheaper and have the advantage of offering US pre clearance in DUB so you would then arrive in the US as basically a domestic passenger and not have to clear customs and immigration.

cs
Last time I checked, NCL was in the NORTH-EAST - surely you mean MAN-DUB-XXX. If you want NCL-DUB I believe your only option shouldn't be mentioned on this forum.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babats
Last time I checked, NCL was in the NORTH-EAST - surely you mean MAN-DUB-XXX. If you want NCL-DUB I believe your only option shouldn't be mentioned on this forum.
I may try to get to DUB without BA from LPL, I have read an old post about it being cheaper (only 75) taxes to book with BA over the phone for aerlingus flights rather than avios.com, does anyone have and recent experience of this?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
It depends on your budget, but a return from MAN-JFK in W can be quite competitive, often cheaper than from LHR. You could then use your avios to upgrade to Club World. Or a Y flight out to JFK and then a W return, again, upgrading your inbound to Club World.

Alternatively, if you want the absolute lowest cost option, your avios could book you some really decent accommodation in Manhattan. While you wouldn't be realising the best value/avios, its a way to certainly bring the cost of the trip right down.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by docefc
Hello everyone,

I'm a silver with 200k avios to use, that may sound like I'm an affluent sort who travels round the world a lot, the truth is, every single one of those points has been earned via work related travel and I never really use them for personal travel, this year I have had a baby, purchased my first home, got engaged and planned a wedding. Holidays are way down the priority list HOWEVER in October 2019 I'd like to take my wife-to-be to NYC as she's never been, despite worries about how we could afford it I've said my points can easily cover such a journey and we can book an airbnb in Brooklyn for about 120 a night.

So knowing that flights are released 355 days in advance I started the search for the first time, can anyone tell me what the point of reward flights are or less flippantly if there's a better way to do it? I knew there'd be surcharges but I was thinking they'd be about 200 per person but off-peak economy flights we're looking at about 1.1k + Avios??? Why? You can get return flights on ba.com for 300 per person, I may as well buy them and knock 90 off with avios.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a cheaper way to do it? What about through Dublin with Aer Lingus?
I assume your are looking to book flights in Economy?

No sure if this a goer, but how about using your Avios for the accommodation rather than the flight? Then pay cash for a Virgin, United or Thomas Cook (there may be others) direct flight.

Using Avios for economy flights is generally very poor value. As you have seen, it's often cheaper to buy a cash flight rather than pay the taxes.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cameramaker
It depends on your budget, but a return from MAN-JFK in W can be quite competitive, often cheaper than from LHR. You could then use your avios to upgrade to Club World. Or a Y flight out to JFK and then a W return, again, upgrading your inbound to Club World.

Alternatively, if you want the absolute lowest cost option, your avios could book you some really decent accommodation in Manhattan. While you wouldn't be realising the best value/avios, its a way to certainly bring the cost of the trip right down.
As per the above, assuming you have bob on 200k avios, you can get a decent hotel in Brooklyn for 4 nights and a Y flight to JFK and a J return to MAN for a total of 600pp.

Alternatively, you could easily get something really nice in Manhattan for 200k avios for 4 nights.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I assume your are looking to book flights in Economy?

No sure if this a goer, but how about using your Avios for the accommodation rather than the flight? Then pay cash for a Virgin, United or Thomas Cook (there may be others) direct flight.

Using Avios for economy flights is generally very poor value. As you have seen, it's often cheaper to buy a cash flight rather than pay the taxes.
Originally Posted by cameramaker

Thanks for the tips on accommodation, I'll look into that.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by docefc
Thanks for the tips on accommodation, I'll look into that.
Never never use Avios for long haul Y tickets. Use them for short haul reward flight saver tickets, or long haul premium cabins. You can also purchase a cash ticket, and upgrade with Avios.
BearX220 and BertieBadger like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:53 am

As an aside has BA always routed its International flights through Heathrow/Gatwick, a direct NYC service from Glasgow would be great as we seem to be losing premium routes to Edinburgh boohoo (i know wishful thinking)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by argonath
As an aside has BA always routed its International flights through Heathrow/Gatwick
No, there used to be direct flights from the regions. The last long haul was MAN-JFK which finished about 10 years ago. There are a few short haul flights during the summer at the weekends, but they seem to be being scaled back.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:25 am

A few years back I had to fly NYC-MAN at very short notice and was able to get a Y redemption on the direct AA flight for not a stupid amount of fees. I'm not sure if that route is still flying or not though.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by rpjs
A few years back I had to fly NYC-MAN at very short notice and was able to get a Y redemption on the direct AA flight for not a stupid amount of fees. I'm not sure if that route is still flying or not though.
No, the AA flight has gone. They've left it to Virgin / UA /TCX and PK (I think!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.