Flight upgrade

Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Flight upgrade

Hi all,

just after a little bit of advise if anyone can help? We originally booked to fly lhr to iad on the 20th dec and return 30th. We decided to upgrade due to my husbands arthritis in his knees. We paid extra for wt+ and they allocated us seats on both flights free of charge. I logged on to print out our confirmations for the trip and noticed that the return flight has been moved to Cw. We have not been charged for this or notified. It doesn’t show a ticket number. Has anybody experienced this? Am I to get excited for the free upgrade or is it likely to be put back to wt+?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to the BA forum Squeaky1983 and welcome to Flyertalk as well, I hope your forthcoming trip is a good one and I also hope we will hear more from you.

This is entirely possible, if you wish you could let us know the seat number and aircraft type and we can check if it is indeed CW. WTP is a good cabin for upgrades. However don't think BA are entirely altruistic about this. Things like this happen for a reason and BA have some ulterior plans for your bank balance over the longer term! In the mean time I hope this works out for you.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply and your welcoming message.

It says seats can’t be selected until check in. The seats we booked for the journey out are still there though. What I really don’t want to happen is to lose the wt+ seats if they decide not to upgrade us!

I did contact ba to pruve price an upgrade on the return flight about a month ago. The lovely lady I spoke to emailed the price but it was too expensive for what we were hoping to spend. I emailed her back to ask if she could do any better and that it’s a special holiday for us as we get to spend Christmas with our grandchildren, one of whom we haven’t met yet. Two weeks later we were showing as cw.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

It’s also a 747 aircraft and the seats we selected were the last row on the right hand side in wt+
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Squeaky1983
I did contact ba to pruve price an upgrade on the return flight about a month ago. The lovely lady I spoke to emailed the price but it was too expensive for what we were hoping to spend. I emailed her back to ask if she could do any better and that it’s a special holiday for us as we get to spend Christmas with our grandchildren, one of whom we haven’t met yet. Two weeks later we were showing as cw.
OK, well maybe best not count your chickens, as it were, that extra information does change things somewhat. If you ask for a price quote for a higher cabin, what the agent has to do is to artificially move you to the higher cabin, in order to force the pricing mechanism. If you don't accept the quote then at some point the system realises this and gives you what you paid for and relocates you in the cabin you have paid for. On the other hand if there is an early upgrade - and these do happen - then BA sometimes send an email, sometimes says nothing at all. I may have been unclear in my earlier message, but how precisely do you know you are in CW? If there were seat numbers visible then that's a good clue to us. But you say you printed a confirmation, so maybe you are looking at the flight line details? Or perhaps in Manage My Booking?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Thank you again. When I go into mmb or the app and select the flight home it shows club world. This came up about two weeks after the phone call though. I would attach a screenshot but I haven’t made enough posts
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Try again
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Squeaky1983
Try again
And unfortunately on day one of FT posting (and that day only) you have a five post maximum in the first 24 hours. But don't worry, you are certainly not going to lose your WTP booking. Because of that background I wouldn't assume you are definitely going to get CW, it may well clear down to the paid for booking in due course. But in any event WTP around Christmas can be rather busy, so let's hope for the best.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you don't accept the quote then at some point the system realises this and gives you what you paid for and relocates you in the cabin you have paid for.
If my experience is anything to go by, this can sometimes only happen when you get to the airport. You may find you are not able to check in online in advance for this particular flight and need to sort this when you get to the airport.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
It does happen but always expect to fly in the cabin you paid for. I fly business/first for work but prefer premium economy when I'm paying (I'm cheap...) and frequently find myself bumped into CW in the latter circumstance. That always happens at check-in though, never had it happen in advance.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:06 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by warreng
It does happen but always expect to fly in the cabin you paid for. I fly business/first for work but prefer premium economy when I'm paying (I'm cheap...) and frequently find myself bumped into CW in the latter circumstance. That always happens at check-in though, never had it happen in advance.
Most of us are cheap when are the ones paying, you are in good company. .
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:40 pm

We actually had something very similar happen to us quite some time ago.

I can't remember if we were originally booked in WT or WT+ but I noticed in MMB that we had been upgraded to CW on the outbound flight only. At first we thought maybe it was a mistake but it turned out to be a genuine upgrade.

My thoughts on this are exactly as CWS suggest - BA are not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts but rather to get you 'hooked' on flying premium cabins. Needless to say it worked in our case, as we mostly only fly in premium cabins now
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. Please don't think I was being rude as I couldn't post a response for 24 hours.

Do you think it's worth me speaking with BA to clear up the situation or is it best to just wait and see?

Warreng & skyccord - I wouldn't deem it as cheap. When it's your own hard earned cash you want to be able to spread it out and make it last! WT+ is a treat for us. We would love to fly CW also but we can't justify the additional cost if it prevents us making memories and doing things with the grandchildren while we are there! We only get to see them once or twice a year so it's important to us that we always do something special and memorable with them!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Corporate-wage-slave this is what the app shows.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.