Community
Wiki Posts
Search

North West England to New York advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
You could do JER-LGW-NYC in Club World for 200k Avios + £983 for two people in Oct-19. You'd need to get to JER from LPL or MAN for your outbound so that depends on you and your wife-to-be's desire for a pit-stop in JER.

The easy life is a direct economy flight from MAN-NYC for around £350 each on a cash booking and use the Avios for a nice hotel, as suggested above.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Originally Posted by docefc
Hello everyone,

I'm a silver with 200k avios to use, that may sound like I'm an affluent sort who travels round the world a lot, the truth is, every single one of those points has been earned via work related travel and I never really use them for personal travel, this year I have had a baby, purchased my first home, got engaged and planned a wedding. Holidays are way down the priority list HOWEVER in October 2019 I'd like to take my wife-to-be to NYC as she's never been, despite worries about how we could afford it I've said my points can easily cover such a journey and we can book an airbnb in Brooklyn for about £120 a night.

So knowing that flights are released 355 days in advance I started the search for the first time, can anyone tell me what the point of reward flights are or less flippantly if there's a better way to do it? I knew there'd be surcharges but I was thinking they'd be about £200 per person but off-peak economy flights we're looking at about £1.1k + Avios??? Why? You can get return flights on ba.com for £300 per person, I may as well buy them and knock £90 off with avios.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a cheaper way to do it? What about through Dublin with Aer Lingus?

Also bear in mind any Avios flight is essentially a fully flexible ticket which can be changed/cancelled for a small fee up to 24 hours before departure. You are comparing this with a fully restrictive ticket with no changes/cancellations allowed. Economy isn't the best way to use Avios, but as others have said 200k Avios can get you a nice hotel for 4/5 nights in the heart of Manhattan.

Otherwise 172000 Avios + £ 1,530.92 for Business Class out and Premium Economy back, with Club Europe flights and lounge access at all airports might seem a good option.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS for all of the important events you listed. Big year!

You've hit classic FT response territory, i.e in asking how to get a cheapish redemption you're being bundled off into the premium cabins, which I'm guessing are beyond the budget?

Personally in your situation I'd look at booking a cheap economy fare and maxing out the part pay with avios. It's not a very efficient way of using Avios for the purist, but if you're going to be tightening the purse strings with the baby and house for a bit, you won't be losing a lot by burning them. Also you'll get a chunk of avios back.

Also worth looking at BA holidays, helpful for cashflow because you can pay a deposit and the rest later, and they do have some good deals. I don't think you can part pay with Avios though, might be wrong about that.

I wouldn't be stretching myself to get into a premium cabin. The New York flight is fairly short, and you can do a lot more with the difference in price (even to a cheapish redemption fare in J) when you're actually in New York. You get the lounge benefits on status anyway.
DeathSlam, argonath and Crofton138 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:33 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
You might consider getting one of the credit card options that allows you to get a 2-4-1 redemption on BA. Your 200k avios should be enough to get two returns in first class then. Taxes are no more than for J.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Also wait for the BA Sale which is often in January. I got 2 business class seats for £800 pp DUB-JFK-LHR-DUB. We also stayed in an Airbnb in Queens which was around £80 per night.

Getting to DUB from EDI was another £120 pp.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
You might consider getting one of the credit card options that allows you to get a 2-4-1 redemption on BA. Your 200k avios should be enough to get two returns in first class then. Taxes are no more than for J.
After paying £20K (or is it £15k) to get the 2-4-1. And after paying £200 for the card. And then paying £1200 in taxes for the flight.

But apart from that... great plan!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:04 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
After paying £20K (or is it £15k) to get the 2-4-1. And after paying £200 for the card.
It's a 20k spend on the free card and a 10k spend on the prem card (which is £195 like you say). Given the OP is likely bleeding money at this point (although for life enhancing reasons) you may as well get something for what you're going to spend anyway.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
And then paying £1200 in taxes for the flight.
No way round this unfortunately. But you end up with two F tickets for about 2x price of two cash economy ones.
If the cash element is a problem in the short term it might be better value to hoard the miles until you can take full advantage of them.

I was just putting another option out there I didn't mean to offend.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
No way round this unfortunately. But you end up with two F tickets for about 2x price of two cash economy ones.
If the cash element is a problem in the short term it might be better value to hoard the miles until you can take full advantage of them.
They could fly economy as they originally wanted to! 2 tickets for about £600...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:48 pm

If you transfer Avios to Iberia it is only 68,000 plus £157.70 each to fly Madrid to JFK return. Add on an iberia express connection to Manchester and its not much different to connecting in London?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:47 pm

Depending just how far north you are, Glasgow/Edinburgh direct with United would be my option. Often very cheap .

If by "north" you mean 'Manchester', ignore my suggestion.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Genuinely delighted with the responses. Thanks a lot, I think the hotel is looking the best option. Found an absolutely terrific one in range and whisper it but I have 17k Flying Club to use which I hadn't realised I could use as part payment.

Quick Q, are you able to cancel hotels booked with Avios for full refund?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by docefc
Quick Q, are you able to cancel hotels booked with Avios for full refund?
Last time I made a hotel booking on Avios (May 2017), cancellation T&Cs were:

Cancelling your booking
  • Cancellations made outside of 72 hours to travel will be charged a cancellation fee of £35 or local equivalent, plus any applicable Supplier Fees as advised at time of booking. Cancellation/Supplier fees are payable in CASH by credit/debit card only.
  • Cancellations made within 72 hours to travel will be charged 100% of the booking value and no refund will be made.
  • Failure to cancel prior to scheduled check-in time will be considered a no-show and will not be eligible for refund. There will be no refund for unused services or early check-out.
Cancellation fees
  • In addition to the hotel cancellation policy described above, there will be an additional fee equivalent to £15 for any cancellations made by an agent over the phone.
  • Cancellations made online are only subject to applicable supplier cancellation fees.

Last edited by Crofton138; Nov 11, 2018 at 1:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.