FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tier point awards for "via" flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1939682-tier-point-awards-via-flights.html)

sparkswillfly Nov 9, 2018 2:23 am

Tier point awards for "via" flights

Hi,

I promise I have searched the forum before asking this and I can't find any solid information.

If, for example I want to get from Barcelona to Amsterdam with BA (and I do) but there is no direct flight (which there isn't) and there's a fare that has an overnight layover in either London City or London Gatwick. Assuming I go with a full TP fare will I get TP awarded for both legs or just one, for example business Barcelona to London is 40 and London to Amsterdam is 40, do I get the 80 or just get 40?

Thank you

The _Banking_Scot Nov 9, 2018 2:27 am

Hi.

it is per leg unless both have the same flight number so 80 in this case

regards

tbs

Cw novice Nov 9, 2018 2:27 am

You will get 80 tp. Tier points and avios are calculated on each individual leg which you take.

sparkswillfly Nov 9, 2018 3:09 am

Thank you both, very kind and that's great news as the flight is the cost of a single leg and if I can manage to find one that bounces in an out of LHR I could nip home for the layover to save me a hotel cost. Smashing!

T8191 Nov 9, 2018 3:12 am

See also innumerable references to "creative routings" elsewhere in the Forum!

From my POV, the more sectors the better, even if it did take 3 days to get to Hawaii. ;)

geerat Nov 9, 2018 3:32 am

Be careful with the short layovers with the same flight number. I recently took a business class flight from Tokyo narita to Hong Kong visa taipei. As my seat numbers were the same for both legs I received only 40 tier points each way. It was fun to visit the cathay lounge in Taipei though.

alex67500 Nov 9, 2018 4:10 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 30410875)
See also innumerable references to "creative routings" elsewhere in the Forum!

From my POV, the more sectors the better, even if it did take 3 days to get to Hawaii. ;)

I have a picture in my mind of a LHR-JFK-SFO-MIA-LAX-HNL somehow (that one's a jackpot in that case!)

Globaliser Nov 9, 2018 4:38 am

Originally Posted by geerat (Post 30410905)
Be careful with the short layovers with the same flight number. I recently took a business class flight from Tokyo narita to Hong Kong visa taipei. As my seat numbers were the same for both legs I received only 40 tier points each way.

That will be because your ticket was for one "leg" (to use the word in this thread): Tokyo to Hong Kong. The fact that the aircraft stopped en route didn't change that.

The options that the OP is looking at will involve a flight from Barcelona to London and then another flight from London to Amsterdam. The tickets for these have to be written as two "legs", with two different flight numbers, so the OP doesn't need to worry about this.

T8191 Nov 9, 2018 4:57 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 30410967)
I have a picture in my mind of a LHR-JFK-SFO-MIA-LAX-HNL somehow (that one's a jackpot in that case!)

No, just a simple JER-LGW/LHR-DUB-PHL-LAX-HNL [or -OGG]. We don't like back-tracking. ;)

I have in mind a trip to Virginia next Autumn, which may well skip IAD and instead go JER-LGW/LHR-DUB-PHL-DCA. Yes, another overnight at DUB, but the pre-clearance is so convenient! And staying just 6 miles from DCA makes sense, instead of fighting round the Beltway.

Wasabi Tofu Nov 9, 2018 5:29 am

Originally Posted by geerat (Post 30410905)
Be careful with the short layovers with the same flight number. I recently took a business class flight from Tokyo narita to Hong Kong visa taipei. As my seat numbers were the same for both legs I received only 40 tier points each way. It was fun to visit the cathay lounge in Taipei though.

I used several times this NRT-HKG (via TPE) as a single flight number, and a single boarding pass.
Did you have TWO boarding passes or ONE boarding pass ?
If you have TWO boarding passes (i.e, NRT-TPE and TPE-HKG), which one was credited ?
If you have ONE boarding pass, only 40TP and Avios are credited as NRT-HKG flight.

geerat Nov 9, 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu (Post 30411119)
I used several times this NRT-HKG (via TPE) as a single flight number, and a single boarding pass.
Did you have TWO boarding passes or ONE boarding pass ?
If you have TWO boarding passes (i.e, NRT-TPE and TPE-HKG), which one was credited ?
If you have ONE boarding pass, only 40TP and Avios are credited as NRT-HKG flight.

It was only one boarding pass. I was considering asking to have my seat changed before boarding the second leg to see if it would give me 80 tier points.

Globaliser Nov 9, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by geerat (Post 30411541)
I was considering asking to have my seat changed before boarding the second leg to see if it would give me 80 tier points.

That's very unlikely, because it's not the seat number that does it, but the way that your ticket is written.

orbitmic Nov 9, 2018 7:54 am

Originally Posted by geerat (Post 30411541)
It was only one boarding pass. I was considering asking to have my seat changed before boarding the second leg to see if it would give me 80 tier points.

no still the same flight number. What you need if you want 80pts is get off at TPE and take the following HKG flight with different flight number.

geerat Nov 9, 2018 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 30411557)

no still the same flight number. What you need if you want 80pts is get off at TPE and take the following HKG flight with different flight number.

Thanks for clarifying that. I've noticed that Cathay Pacific is incredibly generous with layover pricing. NRT-TPE-HKG-BKK-SIN-NRT in business class usually goes for around ¥160,000 (£1000) Not bad for 4 cities!