Reward seats

Old Nov 9, 18, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Reward seats

I believe BA put 2 Business Class seats and 4 Economy seats up for Avios redemption on each flight, but what is the First Class allocation? I've been saving for 3 years and got up to 580,000 Avios so far (and not far off getting a 2 for 1 voucher too) and likely be going for a LHR to JFK at some point in the next year. As i have never flown outside Europe or anything better than KLM to Amsterdam or Monarch flight Ibiza i'm really wanting to try First as it will likely be the only opportunity i will ever have but compared to Business Class the seats available seem very sparse or extremely sparse on other routes like LHR to LAX. If i cannot get First is the difference between Business and First that much on the North American routes?
Old Nov 9, 18, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
There is no fixed/guaranteed allocation for F or W. It can vary from flight to flight, including 0. So for instance, many an A380 to LAX will go without any award seat having been offered in F.

The difference between J and F varies by aircraft type and route. I would say that on LHR-JFK, first there are so many flights that if you are flexible with dates, it should be quite easy to get an F seat offered at one point or another. Second, the difference between J and F is not really huge, especially on the 747 which has a really nice upper deck J cabin and an F cabin which I personally like but which is older and less generous than on newer aircrafts like the A380 or 789. Especially currently with J getting excellent food on this route and until the F food is reviewed in 2019, it may make sense to save your avios.

On a route like LAX, I would say that the difference is bigger, especially if you are on the A380 or 789 flight (less so on the 744 which is usually the Hi J as for JFK).
Old Nov 9, 18, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by 2ilent8cho View Post
I believe BA put 2 Business Class seats and 4 Economy seats up for Avios redemption on each flight, but what is the First Class allocation? I've been saving for 3 years and got up to 580,000 Avios so far (and not far off getting a 2 for 1 voucher too) and likely be going for a LHR to JFK at some point in the next year. As i have never flown outside Europe or anything better than KLM to Amsterdam or Monarch flight Ibiza i'm really wanting to try First as it will likely be the only opportunity i will ever have but compared to Business Class the seats available seem very sparse or extremely sparse on other routes like LHR to LAX. If i cannot get First is the difference between Business and First that much on the North American routes?
BA do not guarantee First class awards but they generally do release them either at T355 or sporadically (based on loads) in the closing months.

LHR -JFK Is a route where I would expect - given a little flexibility on your part (either on date or flight time) - to have ample options for First Class availability.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 9, 18, 3:18 am

I'm not sure how many they allocate but the way to get that seat in first with your 2 for 1 Amex is to book waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of time for the most popular routes. For Melbourne you'll probably need to be sitting with your finger on the keyboard as the clock ticks over at midnight, 365 days before your outbound flight and then do the same for your inbound portion in the hope it's available. For Las Vegas I had to book my First about 360 days before I wanted to fly but my First reward 241 next year in May was booked in July this year as it's not quite as popular.

As Hawes said, the routes that operate many times a day like JFK will have more chance of giving up a First reward or two.
Old Nov 9, 18, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Just be flexible and dip in and out of the website. There's always something to be found.
Old Nov 9, 18, 3:31 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You can get a quick look at your chances on baredemptionfinder.

NYC very good: https://baredemptionfinder.com/searc...s_tier%5D=blue
LAX almost impossible: https://baredemptionfinder.com/searc...s_tier%5D=blue

For your first trip I would try both, and some would do the complete opposite but I think you'll get the most out of a daytime F flight out, and doing the short overnight back in J. Both directions give you better F lounges if though, i.e. not many outstations do.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 9, 18, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I've seen a few threads from the past about using double the amount of avios to open up more seats, is this still a thing? I cannot find any info on it on ba.com or an option when searching to say use double Avios. I would post a link to a thread but i need more than 5 posts to post url's.
Old Nov 9, 18, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold
Thanks for the replies. I've seen a few threads from the past about using double the amount of avios to open up more seats, is this still a thing? I cannot find any info on it on ba.com or an option when searching to say use double Avios. I would post a link to a thread but i need more than 5 posts to post url's.
you have to be gold for that
Old Nov 9, 18, 5:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If you want to do F, consider alternative US or Canadian cities, and then book a separate connecting flight to where you want to go. For example, Houston / Dallas / Phoenix (if that still has F). You then get a longer flight (the JFK / BOS flights will be a waste of F, as they are over in 6 hours).
Old Nov 9, 18, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sparkswillfly View Post
. For Melbourne you'll probably need to be sitting with your finger on the keyboard as the clock ticks over at midnight, 365 days before your outbound flight and then do the same for your inbound portion in the hope it's available.
You would be amazingly lucky to find BA F ability to Melbourne...as BA havenít flown there for a decade 😉

F can be available but you need to consider midweek, low business travel periods and quiet times generally. Leisure route are always more difficult than business routes IME
Old Nov 9, 18, 6:43 am

Programs: Warrant Card, BA Blue, PFOA
Well done for saving all those Avios...what about trying for BA1 business class on the way over to NYC and back on whatever you fancy ?
Old Nov 9, 18, 7:21 am

I have managed four First Class redemption flights to Atlanta and one to Miami with my wife over the last five years or so. We have one booked for us to Houston in February. Excellent for fly drives or taking an internal flight, especially from Atlanta as it is the Delta Hub.

In my opinion if you stay away from the peak times like Easter, Christmas and main summer holiday season the flights are available.
Old Nov 9, 18, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just back this week from an AMEX 241 in F to HND and I've just booked my next AMEX 241 today, F out to DEN and J back for Sept/Oct '19.
Being flexible, I always find something.
Old Nov 9, 18, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post

You would be amazingly lucky to find BA F ability to Melbourne...as BA haven’t flown there for a decade ��

Even more so at T-365 or even T-360 for Vegas given that none are released before T-355...
Old Nov 9, 18, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveF View Post

Even more so at T-365 or even T-360 for Vegas given that none are released before T-355...
What are these T365 and T355 codes?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: