Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing someone from a package booking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Removing someone from a package booking

We booked a holiday with BA for flights, hotel and a car for next year with friends and their 2 children.

They are now having a few personal problems and my concern is what happens to the booking if they decide not to go.

We have almost paid for our part of the booking and would still be planning to go.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Is this one entire booking or two separate ones - one for each family?

If the latter then they can just cancel whenever and lose the deposit with no effect on your booking.

If it is a single booking then it would be more complicated and so you would be looking to amend the booking and fees to do that as well as a reprice. There isn't really a 'paid for our part' as you would be liable for the rest of the cost.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:06 pm

Whether or not they go - they are on the hook for their part.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I had a flight + car holiday booking for 5 people a couple of years ago. I had paid the deposit then daughter split with her boyfriend and he dropped out.

BA recalculated the cost of the holiday based on 4 travellling and from what I remember we were about £70 out of pocket (bargain Easter holiday fly drive to Florida in Y).

Of course if you have accommodation booked it might complicate things. I would call BA Holidays to get some advice.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Guess it’s a phone call to BA in the morning, not sure I fancy losing what we’ve paid so far however can’t afford to pay their share which is about £6k.

Although reprice I wouldn’t have thought would be for that full amount......or at least I hope.

Thanks for your help
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Ipswich1984
Guess it’s a phone call to BA in the morning, not sure I fancy losing what we’ve paid so far however can’t afford to pay their share which is about £6k.

Although reprice I wouldn’t have thought would be for that full amount......or at least I hope.

Thanks for your help
My experience e is thst BA holidays will simply remove the party not attending and reprice. This shouldn’t be too onerous unless the hotel was based on a non refundable non changeable rate in which case that will be due.

The other option if BA won’t do that (and I’d be surprised) would be to check how much it would cost for the holiday to be booked again for you and if reasonable simple cancel the holiday you would typically lose your deposit if outside 5 weeks to departure and you can rebook. Let us know how you get on.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
My experience e is thst BA holidays will simply remove the party not attending and reprice.
This was my recent experience also, albeit for a Flight + Car booking. BA Holiday's split the non-travelling party off from the booking and then cancelled their ticket. The total balance wasn't reduced linearly though because car hire costs are obviously not per-person, but otherwise there was just a £30 fee. The others on the booking weren't affected.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Had this once when my parents were unable to come on a trip with us. BA split the booking in half, cancelled and refunded their half above the deposit (as they had paid more than the deposit, if they had only paid the deposit then they would just lose that) and then refunded us a bit too as somehow a £700 booking for 2 couples became a £300 booking for one couple #BApricing.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I don’t suppose travel insurance would help out in this scenario?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ipswich1984
We booked a holiday with BA for flights, hotel and a car for next year with friends and their 2 children.

They are now having a few personal problems and my concern is what happens to the booking if they decide not to go.

We have almost paid for our part of the booking and would still be planning to go.
Unless the other family have informed you that they might not want to go with you, I don't see how you how you can predict the future. By next year it might all be OK again and if they discover you've been making enquiries regarding their fate it could be the end of the friendship anyway.
anniegray likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by babats
Unless the other family have informed you that they might not want to go with you, I don't see how you how you can predict the future. By next year it might all be OK again and if they discover you've been making enquiries regarding their fate it could be the end of the friendship anyway.
Hopefully it will be all fine but don’t see what the issue is if I check what the situation is if things aren’t ok,
Spent quite a bit of money so far so just want to see where we stand!
Asking a question won’t ruin a friendship usually.

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Had this once when my parents were unable to come on a trip with us. BA split the booking in half, cancelled and refunded their half above the deposit (as they had paid more than the deposit, if they had only paid the deposit then they would just lose that) and then refunded us a bit too as somehow a £700 booking for 2 couples became a £300 booking for one couple #BApricing.
That’s good to know. Going to ring BA later and get an answer, hopefully it’s just a blip for them and all will be fine and we won’t need to make any changes anyway 🤞
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:40 am

Could try to find someone else to take their spot, especially if the flights haven't been booked. Hotels don't care about everyone's name, just the primary name
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nd2010
Could try to find someone else to take their spot, especially if the flights haven't been booked. Hotels don't care about everyone's name, just the primary name
Flights are included, it was a complete package via BA. Otherwise would’ve looked at that as an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.