FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA trialling PressReader for its customers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1939600-ba-trialling-pressreader-its-customers.html)

corporate-wage-slave Nov 8, 2018 1:01 pm

BA trialling PressReader for its customers

BA has started a trial with PressReader, which allows customers to download from a large library of currently 7,527 publications, for three days starting from 24 hours before travel. You can start downloading using the link in the "It's Time To Fly" email you should receive if you are a direct BA customer (travel agent and other non BA channel bookings may not generate this email). In addition there is open access for the BA wifi in the lounges while you are there, plus the T5C outpost. To be clear: you do not need to be a status passenger to take advantage of this.

The full details are in the main Entertainment link on BA.com:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-es...igital-reading

and the key thing to do if you are using a mobile device is to download the PressReader App in anticipation. The App works for Android, iOS (Apple), Windows Mobile, Blackberry and there are extensions for Chrome. If you are using a laptop or tablet on direct internet access then you can just use the PressReader website without any software but it's obviously easier to download and read newspapers and magazines offline via the App. Such publications don't expire, so you can spend 3 days downloading material and then as long as you like reading them.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/EEH2WL.jpg

Many of the UK's major newspapers are on this service, including The Independent (no longer a print newspaper), I think the key omission are The Times and Financial Times. The Guardian, Telegraph are on it, plus the Glasgow Herald, Scotsman and the Belfast Telegraph. There are 457 UK publications on board, including a lot of the well known glossy magazines.

The following screen, shortly after starting up the PressReader App, indicates you are on the BA deal, if you don't get this screen and instead when trying to open a publication you are inviting to pay to read, then something has gone wrong. Some publications are free anyway under PressReader but they aren't household name publications.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/068zcN.jpg

Other airlines have been doing this for a while, notably the Lufthansa, Air France and Cathay. Some hotel chains also offer the service.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 8, 2018 1:01 pm

Because it's a trial, I'll just put the BA.com information here for reference.
You can now enjoy a choice of more than 7,000 digital newspapers and magazines thanks to our partnership with PressReader.*

Top titles are available from over 120 countries in more than 60 languages, so there’s something for everyone. There are 28 categories of digital content including news, travel and culture, food and drink, aviation, business, entertainment, fashion, sport, health and more.

To be able to use PressReader, make sure you download your choice of reading on to your own device before your flight – you’ll receive a link to PressReader in your ‘It’s time to fly’ email 24 hours before your outbound flight. This will give you access to browse and download as many titles as you like for up to three days. Anything that you download is yours to keep, even after your access period expires.

You'll also have unlimited access to PressReader when you connect to the Wi-Fi network in a British Airways lounge, although this will vary by location.

*British Airways is trialling the PressReader service and reserves the right to withdraw it at any time.
=================
Frequently asked questions

What is PressReader?

PressReader offers you unlimited access to over 7,000 newspapers and magazines in an easy-to-use app available on every smartphone and tablet. PressReader may also be accessed using your browser on any laptop or desktop computer. There should always be something to cater to your needs, with content available in 63 languages, from 156 countries and across 28 different categories. As a British Airways customer, you have access to PressReader whenever you fly, either through the quick-link in your ‘It’s time to fly’ email or by visiting one of our lounges. You can download full versions of newspapers and magazines to your device, and save them to read in-flight or later in your journey. Whatever you download, is yours to keep.

Who has access to PressReader?
Every one of our customers has full access to PressReader’s entire library, from the moment you click the link found in your ‘It’s time to fly' email. If you're eligible to enter a British Airways lounge you can also access PressReader while connected to the lounge’s Wi-Fi network and avoid using your own data to download publications.

How long does my access period last?
Your access period begins 24 hours before your outbound flight, and expires after three days. During this time, you may browse and save as many publications as you wish. Be sure to take advantage of the access period and download something to read for your return journey.

If you have access to our British Airways lounges, you will receive access to the entire PressReader catalogue for as long as you’re connected to the Wi-Fi network. If you’re on your return journey, you can download daily newspapers in the lounge, selecting from a wide range of titles and languages.

Can I access PressReader during my flight?
It’s always better to download any publications you may want to read before you board. That way, you’ll have quick, easy access to your newspapers and magazines while you’re flying. PressReader is available via Wi-Fi on connected aircraft, but this will require you to purchase a Wi-Fi package whilst onboard.

Can I use PressReader on any device?
The PressReader app is available on any mobile device, including smartphones and tablets, and all major operating systems including iOS, Android, Windows, Amazon, Blackberry, and Mac. PressReader’s web platform is always available on laptops and other computers connected to the Wi-Fi network in British Airways lounges.

I am a oneworld customer, flying British Airways. Do I get access to PressReader?
oneworld customers have access to PressReader if eligible for access to a British Airways owned lounge.

Access is granted whilst connected to the lounge Wi-Fi hotspot.

I am travelling on a booking with multiple customers. Do we all get access to PressReader?
The link you receive in your ‘It’s time to fly' email can be shared with up to four others, helpful if you’re travelling on a group booking. Simply send your email to those travelling in your party and activate PressReader on the device.

Getting connected

How do I connect to PressReader?

There are two ways to access PressReader:
  1. Tap the quick-link in your ‘It’s time to fly’ email, using the device you’d like to read on. Follow the prompt to download the PressReader app and authorize your access.
  2. Download the PressReader app and connect to the Wi-Fi network in a British Airways lounge. You’ll automatically get complete access to the PressReader platform.
Which app stores have PressReader available?

You’ll find PressReader in the Apple App Store, Google Play, Microsoft Store, Amazon, and Blackberry World.

Downloading newspapers and magazines

How do I download newspapers and magazines to my device?

Once you’ve activated your free access period and you see the British Airways welcome screen in the PressReader app, you’re ready to start downloading.

When you’re ready, close the welcome screen, then tap on Publications to view the PressReader catalogue. Here, you can search for your favourite titles using the search bar and sort the list by category or language. Once you find a publication you’d like to download, click the download symbol.

If you want to see all of the publications you’ve downloaded, just tap Downloaded at the bottom of your screen.

How many publications can I download?

You can download as many publications as you’d like.

How long can I keep the publications I download?

Anything that you download is yours to keep, even after your access period expires.

Can I download complete publications?

Yes. Full publications of your favourite magazines and newspapers are available on PressReader. You can read them in the original printed layout or in a text view mode designed for easy reading on a mobile device.

Which titles are available on PressReader?

Thousands of titles are available from all over the world. Use the PressReader app to browse the entire catalogue.

I’m looking for a specific newspaper or magazine, but I can’t find it on PressReader. Can I request that you add it to the platform?
Yes. If there’s something you’d like to see on PressReader, send an email to our support team at [email protected].

PressReader works with publishers around the world, and based on customer feedback, adds new titles to the platform every day.

Making the most of your time on PressReader

Is PressReader mobile-friendly?
Yes. You can read most publications on PressReader in the original printed layout or in a text view mode designed for easy reading on a mobile device. In order to use the text view mode, just open any title from the publications list in the PressReader app. Then, select the Text View toggle at the bottom of your screen.

Why isn’t there a text view option for the publication I’m reading?
Some magazines on PressReader don’t have a text view option. It’s important that your reading experience is the best it can be, and some of those beautiful magazine layouts aren’t designed to be pulled apart. In full page view, you can pinch your fingers to zoom in and drag each page to make reading as easy and as comfortable as possible.

How many languages does PressReader support?
The PressReader app interface supports English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, French, Arabic, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Turkish. Content is available in more than 60 languages from around the world. You can also instantly translate some content into 18 languages, while you have an active internet connection.

Can I continue to use PressReader after my free access period ends?
Yes. To extend your experience on PressReader, you can subscribe for complete access to the platform from almost anywhere in the world.

Who can I contact if I have more questions?
If you have more questions about your access to PressReader, contact [email protected].

Trouble shooting
I’ve opened the PressReader app, but the content appears to be locked. How do I unlock the publications I want to read?

When you first open the PressReader app, you should see a British Airways welcome message, if not, you may not have connected successfully.
  1. If you’re trying to connect through the quick-link in your ‘It’s time to fly’ email and you see padlock icons on a publication, check the coffee cup icon at the bottom right corner of your screen. It should be green. If it isn’t, try tapping the quick-link again.
  2. If you’re trying to connect through our lounge Wi-Fi and you see padlock icon on a publication, try enabling Hotspots in the app settings:
    * Tap 'More' in the main menu, then 'Hotspots'.
    * If you’ve activated the free access period, but you still can’t view any publications in the PressReader app, send an email to [email protected].
I have a flight but I didn’t book direct with British Airways. Do I have access?
This service is available for those customers who book direct with British Airways but we are working to improve access for customers who book via a third party.

Why is the PressReader app asking me to pay for a title I want to download?

If you are prompted to pay for a title, you might not have connected successfully.
  1. If you’re trying to connect through the quick-link in your check-in email and you see padlock icons on a publication, check the coffee cup icon at the bottom right corner of your screen. It should be green. If it isn’t, try tapping the quick-link again.
    Repeat.
  2. If you’re trying to connect through the British Airways lounge Wi-Fi and you see padlock icons on a publication, try enabling HotSpots in the app settings: tap More in the main menu, then HotSpots. If you’ve activated the free access period, but you still can’t view any publications in the PressReader app, send an email to [email protected].

lcylocal Nov 8, 2018 1:34 pm

I wander if this is applicable to BA Holidays bookings? You don’t seem to get the ‘It’s time to fly’ email, however you do seem to now get an email starting ‘It's now nearly time for us to welcome you on a British Airways Holiday’ so hopefully it can be included in that.

orbitmic Nov 8, 2018 1:44 pm

I have no doubt I am in a minority on this, but I personally hate it. AF have been doing it for ages (with a number of publications to download that depend on your class of travel and status) but I spend far too much time with my eyes on a screen already and reading the press or books on a screen are a complete no-no for me as a result. I hope BA will keep printed copies in CW, F, and in lounges at least.

frandrake Nov 8, 2018 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 30409030)
I have no doubt I am in a minority on this, but I personally hate it. AF have been doing it for ages (with a number of publications to download that depend on your class of travel and status) but I spend far too much time with my eyes on a screen already and reading the press or books on a screen are a complete no-no for me as a result. I hope BA will keep printed copies in CW, F, and in lounges at least.

I think they should still keep some major newspapers available on print, but reducing the overall mass of uselessly printed paper for what nowadays are 70% paid adverts I think it's a good idea for travellers (as it increases choice) and most importantly, the planet.

our_kid Nov 8, 2018 3:01 pm

I’m a fan - Cathay have done this for ages.

And I can get The Guardian, The New European, Rail and MacWorld - what’s not to like!!

let_BAegones_be Nov 8, 2018 4:09 pm

Really great.

Whilst the British versions of the followings are missing, It allows me to access the
*Thai version and Chinese version of GQ
*as well as the German version of Mens Health.

Finally.

BAGoldBoy Nov 8, 2018 4:35 pm

As reported on HFP about 14 hours earlier so not really news

adrianlondon Nov 8, 2018 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy (Post 30409610)
As reported on HFP about 14 hours earlier so not really news

It's news to me. I don't read hfp.

SKT-DK Nov 8, 2018 8:13 pm

While this will dramatically increase the variety of available publications, I fear that BA might be looking to do what SAS did years ago and eliminate printed copies altogether in favour of the digital option :(

chistery Nov 9, 2018 5:31 am

Just downloaded a few and seems to work quite well.A wider selection and they don't expire. What's not to like.

argonath Nov 9, 2018 5:51 am

An excellent idea will give it a try and MrsArgonath is an avid mag reader so it gets her approval also

windowontheAside Nov 9, 2018 6:31 am

And for anyone that likes this service but doesn't travel multiple times a week, you may also find this service is offered free via your local library with no time constraints.

redpalmetto Nov 9, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30408874)
BA has started a trial with PressReader, which allows customers to download from a large library of currently 7,527 publications, for three days starting from 24 hours before travel. You can start downloading using the link in the "It's Time To Fly" email you should receive if you are a direct BA customer (travel agent and other non BA channel bookings may not generate this email). In addition there is open access for the BA wifi in the lounges while you are there, plus the T5C outpost. To be clear: you do not need to be a status passenger to take advantage of this.

The full details are in the main Entertainment link on BA.com:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-es...igital-reading

and the key thing to do if you are using a mobile device is to download the PressReader App in anticipation. The App works for Android, iOS (Apple), Windows Mobile, Blackberry and there are extensions for Chrome. If you are using a laptop or tablet on direct internet access then you can just use the PressReader website without any software but it's obviously easier to download and read newspapers and magazines offline via the App. Such publications don't expire, so you can spend 3 days downloading material and then as long as you like reading them.

Many of the UK's major newspapers are on this service, including The Independent (no longer a print newspaper), I think the key omission are The Times and Financial Times. The Guardian, Telegraph are on it, plus the Glasgow Herald, Scotsman and the Belfast Telegraph. There are 457 UK publications on board, including a lot of the well known glossy magazines.

Other airlines have been doing this for a while, notably the Lufthansa Group.

The Times is on Press reader - I have a subscription. Much prefer the facsimile view of the paper to downloading website articles.

KARFA Nov 9, 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by redpalmetto (Post 30411937)
The Times is on Press reader - I have a subscription. Much prefer the facsimile view of the paper to downloading website articles.

both the times and the FT are not on the list of free publications for BA on pressreader tho. Other national newspapers are on.