Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA trialling PressReader for its customers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Is anyone else in the T5 lounge finding that it welcomes you to press reader “courtesy of Air Canada”?

Intereting if you click a thumbnail to download it says no, but click through properly and it will download.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
MAN PressReader still non functional, WiFi still unusable for any normal data needs (basic vpn corporate email). No pre-departure emails received.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:54 pm

MAN PressReader now works.

The wifi speed is better, but still rather slow. At least my corporate vpn is now usable for basic emails, but I doubt it would cope with large ppt / pdf attachments.

Using PressReader through the WiFi, whilst it will download, it took 15 minutes for a paper.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I used PressReader in the louge at TXL today and downloaded four publications in a couple of minutes, it worked well.

That said, it's a few years since I first used it and it took a bit of getting used to but now the Accor group have a big offering on it and the LH group too and I suspect it's the way things are going. Of course with seat pitch so tight you can barely open a tabloid in CE these days I guess press reader on a tablet is the better option.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:28 pm

PressReader no longer works at MAN. Although the WiFi is so slow still I doubt you could download anything anyway. 4 people in the lounge so capacity shouldn’t be an issue.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC
I've given up trying to use the BA offer
  • the lounge WiFi is often too slow
  • My login from my local library gives me access to more newspapers than BA.
  • Was not working at all in the BA Singapore lounge a few weeks ago despite the WiFi being ok.
  • It works well at CX, so I don't understand how BA manage to mess this up so much.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:51 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Interestingly cox lounge in Bangkok did not work for a BA metal flight. Enquired at reception and told you have to be on a CX flight, is this correct really annoying as on a 12 hour flight was looking forward to downloading newspapers and magazines as I’ve is sobad on 777 and hadn’t taken any other reading material in hand luggage. At both LHR and LGW have never had trouble downloading multiple publications. Once one download starts you can move to another. Hope BA keep this as there are virtually no magazines or newspapers in the lounge anymore
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:24 am

I've said it before on this thread but worth repeating. If you are UK resident and register (online) with your local public library service, most offer PressReader free of charge. You can then download publications to your heart's content from at any time from any location, even your home wifi. It's so much easier than faffing about with location specific access.
plunet likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fdem
Interestingly cox lounge in Bangkok did not work for a BA metal flight. Enquired at reception and told you have to be on a CX flight, is this correct really annoying as on a 12 hour flight was looking forward to downloading newspapers and magazines as I’ve is sobad on 777 and hadn’t taken any other reading material in hand luggage. At both LHR and LGW have never had trouble downloading multiple publications. Once one download starts you can move to another. Hope BA keep this as there are virtually no magazines or newspapers in the lounge anymore
BA don't offer it at non-BA lounges so it's not a surprise it wouldn't work if you were in the CX lounge. It is only offered in BA lounges when you go on using the BA wifi - in BKK there isn't a BA lounge so unfortunately there isn't anywhere you can go to make it work.

Separately CX offer pressreader but as you found it is only offered to their customers.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Separately CX offer pressreader but as you found it is only offered to their customers.
The only thing you need to do in a CX lounge is connect to the CX lounge WiFi - in all the locations I have been this needs no personal ID and is just a shared passphrase to access the WiFi. Once connected to the lounge WiFi and open pressreader and you can read/download as much as you like according to the CX licence. Have been able to use CX hotspot access to pressreader like this when travelling BA and QR in CX lounges several times without any issue (ie. Not as a CX customer).

If you have a valid login for pressreader (for example from your library) if the WiFi you connect to is detected as a pressreader hotspot then the hotspot access takes precedence over your own login.
KARFA and windowontheAside like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by plunet
If you have a valid login for pressreader (for example from your library) if the WiFi you connect to is detected as a pressreader hotspot then the hotspot access takes precedence over your own login.
Now, this has caused me some problems - as I have a PR login from my local library. When I have been in the BA lounges, my ipad logged me into PR as BA pax, but I did not want this because the lounge wifi is so slow. On a recent occasion, I stayed at granmelia and belmond (a hotspot) hotels in iguazu falls and both of these hotels have PR for their guests and again their wifi was so slow, useless for me to auto download my daily newspapers and magazines for my PR via my local library. I could not use PR for the entire stays, and upon returning to the UK I had to re-activate my PR local library account and re-set up all my auto downloads - a bit annoying.

Do you know if there is a way to maintain my PR via my local library, without being taken over by the PR offered by airlines or hotels? In hotels where there is good wifi and no PR services, I have had no problem with auto downloading my daily newspapers and magazines.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:30 am

OK, maybe I'm misunderstanding but if the wifi in these locations is so slow, wouldn't that also mean downloading from your library login (if you could avoid the precedence) would be useless?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
OK, maybe I'm misunderstanding but if the wifi in these locations is so slow, wouldn't that also mean downloading from your library login (if you could avoid the precedence) would be useless?
Thanks, windowontheAside. Yes, you are correct that the slow wifi would be useless in doing any download. But, I don't want the PR hotspot using its default login to overtake my preferred login - which somehow stopped my preferred login working (it not downloading) when I have had good wifi. To fix it, I have had to reconfig all my auto downloads, one by one, too messy. I just wonder if there is a way to stop the default PR hotspot from interfering with my personal login.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:19 pm

Hello
when i click on the link in the pre-departure email it doesn’t load the BA load in page and so I can’t download any titles unless I pay. Anyone had a similar issue or know a work around?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.