BA trialling PressReader for its customers

Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Still doesnt work in MAN lounge. No predeparture email received. WiFi in MAN currently showing 0.6 Mbps down and up with ping of 243ms. Other than text only emails (not handled through a corporate vpn), unusable.

Signage, but doesnt work:

Last edited by rjn21; Dec 11, 2018 at 6:42 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:09 am

What are these pre-departure emails people are talking about? I fly twice a week on average and have never received this. I get the occasional "getting ready for your trip" email which seem to be completely random at anything from T-30 to T-180, but they don't have any details on it.

My trick is to start a lof of downloads on the lounge wifi and then switch to 4G, works completely fine!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by just_starting
What are these pre-departure emails people are talking about? I fly twice a week on average and have never received this. I get the occasional "getting ready for your trip" email which seem to be completely random at anything from T-30 to T-180, but they don't have any details on it.
The "It's time to fly" emails you get at 24 hours before. I think if you are quick at doing OLCI and do it at 24 hrs on the dot you don't get them.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
The "It's time to fly" emails you get at 24 hours before. I think if you are quick at doing OLCI and do it at 24 hrs on the dot you don't get them.
That would explain it then - I always do that >23h before
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Having now played with it a lot more, it's amusing being able to see the world view from elsewhere (Hindustan Times, Japan Times, etc) and there is a large selection of second-rate magazines and a few first-rate. The highest quality journalism remains only partly available. In the sense of "something to read", it certainly does the job, and "news from home" it partly does the job. In the sense of "best of the world news" it doesn't really do that job.

It's a worthwhile add-on to the lounges, but I do fear that BA might then decide to remove the newspapers leaving the overall "print" media offering wider but lower quality. If they continue to treat it as additional and not replacement, I'm fine with that.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rjn21
Still doesnt work in MAN lounge. No predeparture email received. WiFi in MAN currently showing 0.6 Mbps down and up with ping of 243ms. Other than text only emails (not handled through a corporate vpn), unusable.

Signage, but doesnt work:
Same experience today. Signed in to lounge wifi but no recognition in the pressreader app. Also I agree, the MAN BA lounge wifi is embarrassingly slow!

Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The T5 GF wifi was giving about 1.5mbit/s download speed today.

The pressreader app is also both slow and buggy - for example showing a “waiting for delivery” spinner while also showing a download progressing and finishing. I had to close and restart it to get the user interface working again.

I tried to fetch half a dozen magazines and newspapers but only one had downloaded in the 40minutes or so I spent in the lounge. This is all a nice idea but unless the app works and the wifi in the lounge is fast enough, it’s not usable.

I have a paper copy of the FT to read.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Pressreader in the Cathay T3 lounge works great and has done for a while.

I dont know who pays who for access to the publications in airport lounges, but if BA are paying PressReader they need to have a word / get someones IT to correctly recognise it is being attempted to be accessed from a BA lounge WiFi connection.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Still can't get this to work. Apart from the first time, it's failed for every flight since. Tried reinstalling the app, nada.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by chistery
Still can't get this to work. Apart from the first time, it's failed for every flight since. Tried reinstalling the app, nada.
Is this at the South Lounges in LHR? I just tried this yesterday in the First lounge and indeed, in the first few mins it did not work, but after getting connected for about 10 mins with the app running, it detected it and I could download any publications I wanted. Sometimes it is that the PressReader app is slow to change/detect location. Once you see that it has detected your location (I use the coffeecup symbol - it is the hotspot location) than it should work.
But yes, the speed in the lounge is slow, so downloading could take some time, I believe it was approx 5-6 mins per magazine.

Cheers!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
No, trying at home from the link in the ready to fly email.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC
CX have had this for quite some while, worked in their lounges on my recent flights.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Found this slow and difficult to use in the BA t5 terraces. T4 in Madrid was impossible.
Its a good idea but I dont think its very well implemented at the moment.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Having read CWS's posts, I understand why this didn't work for my ZRH-LHR flight. BA uses 3rd party lounges at ZRH. The link in the e-mail didn't work properly, just delivering the generic chargeable page with a free trial offer.

Outbound was fine - The Guardian (YES!) and several local newspapers.

Our local library (Barnet) does not show on the pressreader hot spots map. I searched online and found this: 'Pressreader: Download the Pressreader app, sign in with your library card for free then read from thousands of newspapers and magazines from 100 countries in 60 languages. After 30 days log out and sign in again.' Looks useful. Now where's my library card?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BA GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
MAN certainly doesn't work for this, although they have the advertising board up for it.

Firstly, as others have said the Wifi is so slow as to be unusable. Secondly, even when connected to the BA Wifi, Pressreader insists on charging for content.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.