BA trialling PressReader for its customers

Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:20 am

I'll repeat the advice I mentioned upthread. The public library service in many counties now offers PressReader publications at no charge. So you can download what you like, when you like without worry about the vagaries of connecting on BA's wifi.

Check your local library service.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by KARFA
Odd. I was in the CCR on Friday evening and thought I would try it. Logged on to the BA wifi first then went in to the pressreader app and it immediately recognised it I think with a splash screen about BA free access. Downloaded a few publications without issue.
just to add to the above, once you are on the BA lounge WiFi and open the app this is what you should see first to confirm the app recognises where you are and can get free downloads.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:47 am

What does the little hotspot map do for users? Is it showing areas where you can, in theory, download at the hotspot owners expense? Like being sponsored? I see the Sofitel T5 is showing for example...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dubh
What does the little hotspot map do for users? Is it showing areas where you can, in theory, download at the hotspot owners expense? Like being sponsored? I see the Sofitel T5 is showing for example...
Yes, the hotspot map - which doesn't currently show BA - shows locations with wifi that offered sponsored free access. So many Accor hotels offer PressReader. So you can use PressReader at the Sofitel, and as mentioned upthread the Cathay lounge (because CX offer it), HGI and so forth. And indeed Cranforth library in Bath Road if that is somehow convenient.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:17 am

If you use the library service you don't have to be at a PressReader hotspot. You can access from anywhere, although they recommend wifi rather than mobile data.

I'm home and have just downloaded a few things to read over the weekend. I appreciate BA's "exclusive" ? offer but I'd rather get all my in flight entertainment sorted and loaded before I leave for the airport.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
If you use the library service you don't have to be at a PressReader hotspot.
Excellent advice, and some library systems will allow even the most fleeting of visitors to sign up.

Much more convenient than the BA version.

Thanks for the tip.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Another hat tip for our public libraries. Many of them do have a good handful of electronic resources available including an increasing number of ebooks and other resources like pressreader so they are trying to evolve from having a bunch of books on the shelf and being told to be quiet! You probably might need to make time to physically visit to sign up if you don't have a valid ticket, but that depends on how your local library and council operates.

However due to licencing, you might find that some of the electronic resources will only work when you are in the UK, it depends on the licencing deal they can cut. So its better to download before you travel, to avoid being left on tenterhooks when you can't get the last book in that gripping series....
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Skywards
Not working for me in MAN right now :
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Not working in MAN today, Saturday 24 November. Pre departure email link works fine.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
Of course, this modern tech is predicated on there being a sensible WiFi in a BA Lounge. Unfortunately that is not the case this morning in T5 Galleries First South this morning....

Nice touch to see some Virgin branding in a BA Lounge (see broken WiFi URL).​ But when you can log in (getting a login session is a bit of a lottery) it's basically knackered.

and Pressreader just times out.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by plunet
Of course, this modern tech is predicated on there being a sensible WiFi in a BA Lounge. Unfortunately that is not the case this morning in T5 Galleries First South this morning....

Nice touch to see some Virgin branding in a BA Lounge (see broken WiFi URL).​ But when you can log in (getting a login session is a bit of a lottery) it's basically knackered.

and Pressreader just times out.
Must be some heavy duty maintenance, I got the same screen yesterday morning at T5. I was able to get online, but it was painfully slow for browsing, never mind downloading on PressReader. I was in the lounge for close to an hour and none of the downloads completed in that time.

This is actually a nice offering from BA, shame the lounge WiFi (at least in T5) makes it harder to enjoy.
plunet likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Saw the sign in the first wing this morning, and went to try it but the WiFi was so slow I couldn’t download anything before my flight was called.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Pre departure email, received on Friday 23 for departing flight on 24, the link no longer works today 25.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I've been giving this a go over the last few days and I'm only somewhat impressed.

Pros:
Can't beat the price at the point of use.
Huge selection

Cons:
Missing some or all of the bigger newspapers in the market (not just UK).
Very hard to find anything as the browsing layout is poor.
No ability to blacklist things you never want to hear from so the search interface always has false positives (mind you, also a problem with the lounge paper, walking past racks of print screaming hateful lies about people like me isn't 100% pleasant).

As noted, the Times and FT are missing (I would particularly be looking for the FT, it's probably my main paper read in the lounges since I don't have regular access to it), as is The Economist.

Trying it in a Cathay lounge in SIngapore, neither the SCMP or the Straits Times were available - the SIN lounge had paper copies of the SCMP, but it's still like an old copy of the Times, if you don't want to read it you can always use it to stun any burglars who may intrude. An online version would be far handier.

So... it's a nice addon but it doesn't replace the paper copies of the most significant news organs that the lounges have today.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott LTP
Didnt work in JFK lounges on Thursday 29 Nov despite posters being up advertising it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.