BA trialling PressReader for its customers

Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Worked fine last week, tried to use it again for my flight tomorrow and it's trying to charge me.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chistery
Worked fine last week, tried to use it again for my flight tomorrow and it's trying to charge me.
It worked fine for me yesterday. Are you using the email link or are you in a lounge?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Separately to the above, I noticed that NCL didn't have Pressreader set up properly, and in particular the blue BA login screen (post 1) isn't showing up. Hence any attempt to read (e.g) the Guardian or the Independent leads to a charging screen whereas in the lounges the Open tab goes straight to download. NCL is now being followed up but can we get reports from BA lounges how the access is? I will wiki in due course, but I know the following to work:

Working:
T5A (all lounges), T5B (GC), T5C (Starbucks transmitter).
T3 (also Cathay have access)
LGW
EDI, MAN, GLA
LIN

Not working
NCL

Other potentially useful places for free downloads.
Sofitel T5, Sofitel LGW, HGI Hatton Cross.

It would be good to get reports from AMS, BRU, TXL, FCO, GVA unless I get there first.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 15, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It worked fine for me yesterday. Are you using the email link or are you in a lounge?
The email link.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I too tried this on Friday and again this morning on both and android and iOS devices and it wouldn’t see the T5 lounges as a hotspot and tried to charge. Used the email link and downloaded the app through the App Store independently and eventually gave up. Was in the T5 GF lounge both times.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ceej123
I too tried this on Friday and again this morning on both and android and iOS devices and it wouldnt see the T5 lounges as a hotspot and tried to charge. Used the email link and downloaded the app through the App Store independently and eventually gave up. Was in the T5 GF lounge both times.
Odd. I was in the CCR on Friday evening and thought I would try it. Logged on to the BA wifi first then went in to the pressreader app and it immediately recognised it I think with a splash screen about BA free access. Downloaded a few publications without issue.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:50 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Downloaded the app at Gatwick yesterday and then a couple of titles but had to run as boarding had commenced. I am being a little dense ( and jet lagged) as tried to download a couple more but given the option to pay for each magazine. Just to confirm one can only download publications while in the BA lounge, is this correct. If so now understand and a great opportunity for in flight and holiday reading, particularly as BA dont seem to stock any leisure publications in their lounges
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fdem
Just to confirm one can only download publications while in the BA lounge, is this correct.
Yes, you need to
- be in the BA lounge
- switched your Wifi to the BA lounge wifi, and
- signed in to lounge wifi with the lounge password
for the free PressReader publications to work. Essentially PressReader verifies the IP address you use and it needs to coincide with the IP address range for BA lounges. Just being in a lounge jisn't good enough, it won't work on the GAL or HAL free wifi for example, let alone your phone's data connection to the mobile telephone networks.

Alternatively if you get the "Pre departure" email at T-24 (which I have not had this week for some reason) there is a direct URL link there which allows access from other locations for a 3 day period.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Used in GLA lounge last week worked well ^
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:39 am

What's not to Like? all of those horrible Liberal publcations
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:53 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
colour me confused

I don't travel with a tablet, and I'm not trying to read a magazine on the phone, but I might download some of these onto the laptop... except I can't work out how to/if I can.

I see that I can use my laptop to access the PressReader website in the lounge, but can I download publications onto a laptop as I could onto a tablet?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Mian Linate works well
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
QR been doing this well for a while now using their Oryx One app. Newspapers, magazines, movie trailers, games, kids stuff. Look forward to trying the BA version.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
One tip I would give given the horrifically slow wifi in the T5 lounge, click on all the magazines you want to download, and once theyve started, turn off WiFi and theyll complete downloading (very quickly) on 4g
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
DXB no problem - even advertising it in the lounge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.