Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inverness Frequency Increase Summer 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Just found an article on the BBC reporting possible strike action at HIAL airports from Easter into the summer, may be worth following if anyone has plans to travel via INV.
Air Traffic strike ballot at HIAL airports
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by Akoz
Just found an article on the BBC reporting possible strike action at HIAL airports from Easter into the summer, may be worth following if anyone has plans to travel via INV.
Air Traffic strike ballot at HIAL airports
Thanks for this heads up... I have a couple of ex INV and b2b positioning flights coming up... if strike action occurs on the day I wonder how BA will accommodate? I always plan my ex INV flights to be the day before my longhaul from LHR.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:18 am

This will be a pain if it goes ahead, as I’m due to fly ex-INV on a 2-4-1.

Presumably this would be “exceptional circumstances” for EU261 compensation, which is fine by me. But if the strike goes ahead and we are affected, would BA be prepared to reroute us starting from EDB/NCL instead for no additional cost (eg APD)? If so, how would one go about arranging this?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squawk
Presumably this would be “exceptional circumstances” for EU261 compensation, which is fine by me. But if the strike goes ahead and we are affected, would BA be prepared to reroute us starting from EDB/NCL instead for no additional cost (eg APD)? If so, how would one go about arranging this?
If it's HIAL then I would see this as EC, BA won't have much leverage there. If a flight is cancelled there is a 300 mile rule for replacement flights - BA will say getting to that getting to that airport is for your own expense (reality may be complicated). MAN is 298 miles, LBA is 271 miles so NCL and EDI would be fine. They may also be OK to drop the sector altogether. You would have to call up the Contact Centre to do this, the App rebooking can't handle this.
squawk likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:38 am

This will be a pain if it goes ahead, as I’m due to fly ex-INV on a 2-4-1.

Not sure about the APD implication, but there could be a case to simply reroute affected flights to ABZ, and bus people.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Akoz
Not sure about the APD implication, but there could be a case to simply reroute affected flights to ABZ, and bus people.
you won't be asked to pay any APD which arises from an involuntary re-route.

Unless INV is marked as being closed or severely disputed for the date of travel I wouldn't expect BA to be rebooking to avoid it though - you would probably just get a text beforehand to ask you to arrive early
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:53 am

Very helpful information, thank you @corporate-wage-slave, @Akoz and @KARFA. Hopefully 1) the strikes won't go ahead, 2) if they do, we won't be affected on our day of travel. If those conditions are not satisfied, i.e. if a strike is scheduled for our travel date, we will hopefully have sufficient notice to cross that bridge nearer the time.

We're planning to get to INV the previous day (any tips for a hotel?) and are on the 11:25, so getting there early isn't a problem. But if it looks like there's a strike that will cause disruption, a reroute from NCL via Contact Centre would be helpful.

NCL is actually very convenient for us - we chose the return flight there, rather than returning to INV - so that would in some ways be ideal, as it would also save a hotel and train fare.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
(any tips for a hotel?)
Jury's Inn is right by the bus stop with a direct service to the airport. Holiday Inn Express is my preference but it's the same bus stop and a half mile walk away.
squawk likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Jury's Inn is right by the bus stop with a direct service to the airport. Holiday Inn Express is my preference but it's the same bus stop and a half mile walk away.
Thanks (again) c-w-s - I suspect either will work for us! Appreciate your suggestions.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
More helpful for next year but a Courtyard by Marriot is currently being build next to the airport and scheduled to open later this year as per Inverness Courier
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
More helpful for next year but a Courtyard by Marriot is currently being build next to the airport and scheduled to open later this year as per Inverness Courier
Due to open in Q4 this year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.