FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Birthday upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1939519-birthday-upgrade.html)

Crofton138 Nov 8, 2018 4:40 am

Birthday upgrade

Just boarded BA869 BUD-LHR and the pax sat next to me has just been moved from ET to CE at it's his birthday. I didn't realise birthday upgrades were handed out as a matter of course?

lavajava Nov 8, 2018 4:46 am

I don't think they are just handed out per SOP or any official policy. Sounds like a nice gesture from the crew, which could end up backfiring. I posted recently about a CSM handing out Champagne for a birthday in ET.

stu1985 Nov 8, 2018 4:52 am

Nice gesture from the crew - hope he enjoys a few glasses of fizz!

LondonElite Nov 8, 2018 5:02 am

Can’t wait to see how this thread plays out!

SKT-DK Nov 8, 2018 5:08 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30407166)

I will hazard a guess as to the kind of posts we will see: ‘I just flew on my birthday and did not get upgraded from WT to F - I am disgusted and will never fly BA again!’ :rolleyes: :D

BAEC Nov 8, 2018 5:11 am

Lol. I don’t fly on my birthday but occasionally still get upgraded from ET to CE by CC or CE drink brought to ET. 😊👍

lavajava Nov 8, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30407166)

Haha. Was thinking the same... Cue CIHY to tell us how it is :)

Unless to Row 1, perhaps this was actually a downgrade from a nice exit row?

Who knows, maybe those iPAD messages actually do something these days?

In any case, I'll get my coat.

ratypus Nov 8, 2018 5:15 am

just booked - pure coincidence - to fly in ET on my birthday so I can now look forward to some CE bubbles, right?:cool:

Peter Ould Nov 8, 2018 5:25 am

I think CSMs should be empowered to make decisions like this. Maintaining brand loyalty is all about making the customer feel good about the travelling experience.

adrianlondon Nov 8, 2018 5:31 am

Considering the number of seats on a plane and comparing this with the number of days per year, there'll often be someone flying on their birthday.

The last time I did, the check-in person wished me a happy birthday as she scanned my passport. No upgrade or anything, but I'd actually forgotten about my birthday at that point and it was nice that she said it.

LondonElite Nov 8, 2018 5:54 am

I’ve had too many glasses of wine to calculate this, but I wonder what the average number of birthday pax on a 747 or 380 might be...

Ned1968 Nov 8, 2018 6:19 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30407291)
I’ve had too many glasses of wine to calculate this, but I wonder what the average number of birthday pax on a 747 or 380 might be...

Quick calculation, ignoring leap years and assuming every seat is full and no lap infants, and the flight only falls on a single date:

747 Hi J (275 passengers) - 53% chance it's someone's birthday on board
A380 (469 passengers) - 72% chance it's someone's birthday

So (on average) half of the 747 flights have a birthday passenger, and 2 out of every 3 A380 flights

makrom Nov 8, 2018 6:20 am

The real question is, did he get a cake?

UKtravelbear Nov 8, 2018 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Peter Ould (Post 30407215)
I think CSMs should be empowered to make decisions like this. Maintaining brand loyalty is all about making the customer feel good about the travelling experience.

but not at the expense of annoying your other passengers.

which is why BA has policies and processes for upgrades to ensure that on board staff don’t make on the hoof decisions that may backfire on them.

It’s why, absent something like a last minute safety issue with the seat, there is a list of passengers to upgrade predetermined by the system If upgrades need to be done.

i now look forward to many threads with people complaining that they weren’t upgraded on their birthday.

fotographer Nov 8, 2018 6:43 am

If BA is handing out birthday upgrades,
guess what BA its my birthday every time I fly with you