Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by Will100

looks like dodgy maths to me- surely with 469 passengers there’s more than a 72% chance?
You may be thinking that you just need to get 365 people together and you cover all the possible dates in a year, but that overlooks the statistical near certainty that if you gather 365 people some of them will share a birthday, so not all 365 dates are covered. In fact, with just 70 people you have a 99.9% chance that a birthday is shared, so they only cover 69 dates between them

If you fancy looking at the maths in more detail have a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Beergander
On a trip back from Germany over Christmas the crew announced we had a Mr Tree and a Mr Christmas on the flight and if they cared to press their buttons they’d get a bottle of champagne. Nice touch and made the whole cabin smile!
SImple touches - great effect ^
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Quick calculation, ignoring leap years and assuming every seat is full and no lap infants, and the flight only falls on a single date:

747 Hi J (275 passengers) - 53% chance it's someone's birthday on board
A380 (469 passengers) - 72% chance it's someone's birthday

So (on average) half of the 747 flights have a birthday passenger, and 2 out of every 3 A380 flights
Actually, there is nearly 100% chance among only 75 people of two having the same birthday (or one having the same birthday as a null person, e.g. today's date) . There is a 50/50 chance with only 23 people.
If you assume the probability of two birthdays are based on one person being 1/365 (or 366 occasionally) then on a flight with more than 365/366 people you'd think the probability would be over 100% (not 75%) since there are 469 people on an A380 and only 365 dates possible, but the math is more complex:
https://betterexplained.com/articles...thday-paradox/
So airlines giving out $000's of upgrades to every birthday calls for the odds to be multiple per flight and that's a money loser for sure.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Allan38103
How about this one, " I was next on the list for upgrade, but they gave away my seat to some one lower on the list with a birthday."
Score +one point if the passenger who was upgraded is an airline employee.
Score +two points if he's flying with an emotional support animal.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Score +one point if the passenger who was upgraded is an airline employee.
Score +two points if he's flying with an emotional support animal.
I never really understood the upgrade rules anyway... in all my years of flying BA, I never received an upgrade. The only times I did get upgrades was on Lufthansa as a student (parents lived in Germany but I studied abroad = frequent flyer ). Mind you, I dressed better as a student than I do as a professional.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tinseltown

I never really understood the upgrade rules anyway... in all my years of flying BA, I never received an upgrade. The only times I did get upgrades was on Lufthansa as a student (parents lived in Germany but I studied abroad = frequent flyer ). Mind you, I dressed better as a student than I do as a professional.
BA has a behind the scenes algorithm to put the list together IF it needs to upgrade. Remember BA does not upgrade just to be nice only if it needs your seat in the cabin and has space upfront.

It includes things such as status, fare bucket of your ticket, your previous flights and cabin classes. So if you are a regular CW flyer in WTP and BA need to upgrade on that flight they may skip you in favour of a regular WTP flyer who has never been in club in the basis that after a taste you may be more willing to pay for it and thus earn more money from you in the future.
Tinseltown likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA has a behind the scenes algorithm to put the list together IF it needs to upgrade. Remember BA does not upgrade just to be nice only if it needs your seat in the cabin and has space upfront.

It includes things such as status, fare bucket of your ticket, your previous flights and cabin classes. So if you are a regular CW flyer in WTP and BA need to upgrade on that flight they may skip you in favour of a regular WTP flyer who has never been in club in the basis that after a taste you may be more willing to pay for it and thus earn more money from you in the future.

That sounds like a coding exercise. Like a complex version of the one where you need to create the guest list for a ‘fun’ company party, but the rule is that no one can enjoy the party when their immediate superior is in attendance...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What happens to this ‘behind the scenes’ algorithm when one of the hamsters is sick or knackered?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
When I landed in Dublin last year on my Birthday the borders lady who checked my passport wished me a Happy Birthday, it was a simple act but greatly appreciated and raised even further my high regard of Ireland.

Things which cost money are not always necessary. Having staff who are motivated and can take initiative. Priceless.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What happens to this ‘behind the scenes’ algorithm when one of the hamsters is sick or knackered?
Blues get upgraded, silly. Didn't you get the memo?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by Fraser
I'm just curious as to how this played out. It makes it sound as though you were trying to blag yourselves into lounges you didn't all have access to on the basis of it being a birthday. Having rarely had duty managers approach me in lounges did you seek out a duty manager in the CX lounge to have a whinge about being denied access to the F side? If so, IMO, *cringe*.

Maybe it's just me but people who make a big deal about their birthday and particularly those who expect strangers to do them favours are narcissistic. Congratulations, you made it another 365 days without being hit by the metaphorical bus *slow clap*

Now if the airline wants to proactively upgrade someone or do them a favour that's completely different and a nice bit of "surprise and delight".
Trying to blag? No! Just politely asked.

Seek out the Duty manager? No. He approached us asking if everything was ok.(I was also surprised by the approach) We explained that we were celebrating a birthday and it would have been nice to be able to eat in the dining area.

That’s how it all played out. And why have extra 3 pax in the already busy club lounge when 2 of the 3 of us were eligible for the quieter 1st lounge anyway? Maybe it was a case of ‘proactively’ managing lounge numbers. Who knows? We were granted permission. Why sound so bitter about it? I’ll say it again- no harm in asking.

PS. If I was travelling alone and a complete stranger asked me to guest him/her in, I think I would now, knowing that it would annoy the likes of yourself!

Last edited by Finavia; Nov 8, 2018 at 4:01 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Finavia
PS. If I was travelling alone and a complete stranger asked me to guest him/her in, I think I would now, knowing that it would annoy the likes of yourself!
Except it wouldn't annoy me because you are entitled to bring in a guest.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've flown on my birthday before and no mention was made of it.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
This year I will fly HEL > LHR > EDI the day before my Birthday in CE so no upgrade available
The day after my Birthday GLA > LGW > MCO in WTP so there is hope........

No Flights on my actual birthday I think I have missed a trick here
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:36 am

Was just wished a happy birthday for tomorrow from the check in agent. Wasn’t expecting it so very nice, wasn’t expecting an upgrade from J-F but hoping for the 2018 birthday avios 😝
Colnic2011 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.