Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAD lounge. No food unless club and overrun with priority pass members

Old Nov 7, 18, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs

So I'm in Dulles BA lounge and two things struck me that I haven't seen before (granted I am not that well traveled).

Im not allowed any food because I am not flying club. (in lounge because of silver status). Have never come across that before.

Big plaque on the door outside "priority pass welcome" and the place seems overrun with them! I didn't think any BA lounges let in priority pass people. Is this common?
Old Nov 7, 18, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA executive club Silver, United milage plus Silver
It was exactly the same situation in the Newark lounge as well. I did travel in CW last month to I got an extra meal voucher that I had to give to the person guarding a special gated area within the lounge. Other lounge users could get free drinks and snacks however. One difference however: in EWR, priority pass holders are not allowed in the BA lounge.
Old Nov 7, 18, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No, this is the standard in the USA+YYZ East Coast lounges (with the very notable exception of BOS, and more recently and somewhat unhappily YYZ) and has been so for many years. There is a full food service for Club passengers as a legacy of the former Sleeper service, now the Good Night service, but there should be some finger food or snacks around for those in WT or WTP. But if you want the pre-flight supper, you need to pay for Club, which is part of the brand offering, and less to do with the lounge itself or indeed status.

Over-run with Priority Pass holders? Are you sure? That facility ends at 14:00 hrs, and usually they are fairly diligent at kicking PP holders out at that time. If this is a live report, I would suspect it is the usual high intake of Silver and Gold cardholders in the lounge at one of BA's more busy locations.
Old Nov 7, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
pre flight dining / supper (or whatever BA call it) is indeed restricted to those flying in CW. A shiny card doth butter no parsnips. Same as e.g. JFK as well otherwise it's just snacks and whatever other food - sanwiches etc - is available. This is not a new thing but often confuses.

The IAD BA lounge is only PP between 7am and 2pm. It becomes BA only from 2.30
rapidex, Beltway2A and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 7, 18, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Have since found the finger food! All good. Not London levels, but certainly suffice. Just have never come across the club differentiation as to what food you can have before.

I see about PP. It must just be busy
Old Nov 7, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
... and i always thought the sit down was for F-only... . Darn.
Old Nov 7, 18, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
PP during the off hours is what makes the existence of those lounges doable at a place such as IAD. I forget what the space leases for at IAD, but it is prohibitively expensive.

Nonetheless, OP posted at 4:19 PM and there should not have been any PP holders around. Not sure how one distinguishes them from the rest of the lot unless BA is now making them wear their card taped to their forehead.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 7, 18, 8:52 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Yes...what do they do at 2pm to differentiate current guests who are BA and who are PP?
Old Nov 7, 18, 9:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
Yes...what do they do at 2pm to differentiate current guests who are BA and who are PP?
They close (and empty) the lounge to prepare it for the BA flights.
Old Nov 7, 18, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
what happened to a friend that was flying with another airline that had a similar arrangement was that everyone was turfed out when the commercial lounge hours ended to allow for a quick clean and changeover of food and drinks etc

he was told politely but in no uncertain terms that if he wanted to enter when it was a commercial lounge he would have to pay and that his ‘free’ entry via his airline status/ticket only applied when the lounge turned into an airline lounge.
Old Nov 7, 18, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Although it was a few years ago now, oneworld rules didn't apply in the morning at the IAD lounge. I was flying AA in transcon FC and didn't have my PP credentials on me and had no access as a BA Gold.
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:16 am

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, United 1K
There are sandwiches and other snacks hidden in the bar at the back of the lounge for those not traveling in business/first. Depending on who's at the front desk, they seem to occasionally invite Emerald passengers traveling in the cheap seats into the a la carte dining area (although I've only been in the IAD lounge with an economy boarding pass once, so 1/1 isn't exactly representative).
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CKBA View Post
... and i always thought the sit down was for F-only... . Darn.
They do have different areas for the sit down meal: one reserved for First and one reserved for Club World.
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It's not an intuitive lounge, either on access or timing or layout.

Apart from the BA opening hour of 1430, new users will benefit from walking all the way to the far end to explore, and then also investigate fully the access to the side rooms! I've seen comments here that people couldn't find the self-serve food [soup, wraps, etc.] - you have to go all the way to the end, and look around!
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
They do have different areas for the sit down meal: one reserved for First and one reserved for Club World.
And a rather different experience between the two as well. The Club World sit-down area is still buffet service -- even serve-yourself wine out of a machine -- while First allows you to order off a menu, so a bit like Concorde Room service (though IMO not to the same level of quality).

Search this Thread