Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting a car with BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL/GGL/CCR, SPG Plat for Life, HHDiamond, xG Aegean, Avis President's Circle
Renting a car with BA

I used to rent Avis cars through Avis and British Airways regularly. I always assumed the rental was handled by BA Hols.

As of recent, you get automatically redirected from Avis and British Airways to www.ba-carhire.com
The booking confirmation comes from Budget with a BA logo proudly spread on the page.
The BA systems have no record of the booking.
The booking reminder comes from Avis, with my Avis President's Circle embellishments, despite the booking being a mere statusless Budget booking.
When accessing my President's Circle profile, there is no record of the booking on it.

Due to last week's BA data breach (in my case resulting in involuntary credit card cancellations), I was unable to pick up a Budget car paid for through www.ba-carhire.com.
I rang the GGL desk; they were unable to assist with the last minute cancellation as it was not a BA Hols booking. Referred back to Budget.
When using the "Contact Budget" email link on their website, I got redirected to [email protected]
So far no reply.

Last night, with the replacement credit cards in my wallet, I was due to pick up a car booked through www.ba-carhire.com.
The confirmation email too came from Budget with a BA logo. The reminder came from the President's Club etc. etc.
The Avis/Budget desk at XXX airport in France was unable to find the booking despite my showing the staff all available proofs of the booking.
Different systems were searched in vain; I ended up renting at a ridiculous rack rate due to time pressure.

While the Budget/Avis dichotomy must have been discussed at length in a relevant forum before, does any of the BA Forum members understand the relationship between British Airways and the www.avisba.com/www.ba-carhire.com?
The liberal use of the BA credentials on the Avis/Budget communication is somewhat misleading.
Yet, unlike the car bookings made directly on www.ba.com, BA does not even recognise those bookings in their system.

Am I wrong to find this bait-and-switch technique puzzling? Should Avis/Budget even be allowed to use BA's insignia (beyond the field concerning loyalty points collection)?

A small final note: the GGL team in both instances were nothing but wonderful. There just wasn't anything that they could do for me.

I'd be most grateful for any thoughts.

MG
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Yikes! That sounds like exactly the sort of practical exercise in Murphy's law that makes my skin crawl.

Makes me rethink my upcoming car hire reservation through carhire-ba.com; I'm not 100% confident they actually registered my Avis Preferred number either.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Out of interest, what's the advantage/reasoning for booking through BA? I just always book directly through Avis (if it's not a flight+car package), the Avios always deposit successfully and I don't need the extra driver because I get that through Avis Preferred anyway. It just seems like extra risk for no benefit.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Almost invariably booked via Avis/BA in the USA, adding my Avis Preferred code, never had any issues, and extra Avios always posted promptly.

MGUK ... where was the rental? That may be pertinent.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL/GGL/CCR, SPG Plat for Life, HHDiamond, xG Aegean, Avis President's Circle

MGUK ... where was the rental? That may be pertinent.[/QUOTE]

The phantom rental was at NCE, FR. Both the Avis Prwferred and the regular Avis/Budget deals were useless.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by groenroos
Yikes! That sounds like exactly the sort of practical exercise in Murphy's law that makes my skin crawl.

Makes me rethink my upcoming car hire reservation through carhire-ba.com; I'm not 100% confident they actually registered my Avis Preferred number either.
Sorry to derail OP, but I have had occasions where my Avis Preferred number hasn’t been added to my booking. If you send an email to [email protected], attaching your booking voucher, Avis normally sorts it out quickly. The booking is normally showing in the Avis Preferred app within 24hrs in my experience.
groenroos likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Foltan;30404181]Out of interest, what's the advantage/reasoning for booking through BA?

I thought it was a shortcut to the same service offered by www.ba.com (instead of going through the landing page, the BAEC login, the car rental page etc. on www.be.com).

At times I compared the rates on both sites and they differed.i never had a reason to question why that was the case until now and went along with the best rate.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MGUK

MGUK ... where was the rental? That may be pertinent.

The phantom rental was at NCE, FR. Both the Avis Prwferred and the regular Avis/Budget deals were useless.
[/QUOTE]

DESKS not deals
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You can still access the old avisba page if you search on google for avisba preferred and follow that link.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Foltan
Out of interest, what's the advantage/reasoning for booking through BA? I just always book directly through Avis (if it's not a flight+car package), the Avios always deposit successfully and I don't need the extra driver because I get that through Avis Preferred anyway. It just seems like extra risk for no benefit.
In my experience it's significantly cheaper (7 days for the price of 5) and worth the aggravation of having to ask for the booking to be added to my Preferred account each time and being unable to add Roadside Assistance.

Edit: I should point out that this is for USA vacations of 10-18 days!

Last edited by chrismk; Nov 7, 2018 at 12:48 pm Reason: Identify duration and region
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The phantom rental was at NCE, FR. Both the Avis Prwferred and the regular Avis/Budget deskswere useless.
European rentals are apparently a nightmare. Fortunately I never use them!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
I used to rent Avis cars through Avis and British Airways regularly. I always assumed the rental was handled by BA Hols.

As of recent, you get automatically redirected from Avis and British Airways to www.ba-carhire.com
The booking confirmation comes from Budget with a BA logo proudly spread on the page.
The BA systems have no record of the booking.
May I ask WHY you used ba-carhire.com and did not rent via avis directly? I alway do it via avis and add my BA Bronze AWD number, because I was afraid I will end up with a Budget contract and now I see why. I am Sorry for you. The BA AWD so far always gave me the same benefits as ba-carhire.com.

Originally Posted by T8191
I don't know why everyone is complaining about avis europe. I did rent quite a few cars in germany and never had any issue. I always got my ba bronze benifits and always got the car i wanted. Eventhough at some franchise stations they had no access to my preferred account, my rental always showed up in my account a few days later.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
So true. I had a horrible experience at PSA this summer with my family renting an L class vehicle. The agent basically scammed me and it took me several escalations to fix it once back home.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brexit will solve it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.