FastTrack at MAN?

Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:58 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Ultimately Manchester Airports Group appears to adopt a strategy that is deliberately antagonistic towards the passengers it claims to serve, it runs deeper than just being a sub-optimal security process. They're the Ryanair of airports.
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Am feeling quite anxious about T2 tomorrow.....many thanks for all the tips....perhaps i should get every single item out of my hand luggage?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:28 am

I travel through T3 MAN a lot.

And, I basically have a 100% record for a secondary search.
A few weeks ago, I traveled back with an empty backpack. Absolutely nothing in it. ( I just bought it a few hours earlier)
the bag was flagged, and it is a security risk to have an empty bag, where are my belonging, etc?

Sunday night, the same story, my Bose headsets set off the alarm and had to be searched.

The issue for me, like so many others, have mentioned, is not the actual search, but, there are 30-40 bags waiting in the line to be search, 1 min per bag, you will wait 30 min to get your bag.

I just add 45 min to my travel plans, when going through Manchester airport.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I'm glad its not just me that thinks MAN is a horrific airport. Security is a joke.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: Some
I also have very little that's positive to say about the security experience at MAN T3. I understand that they deal with large volumes and also quite a lot of holidaymaker-type travelers during the summer who aren't necessarily familiar with airport rules, but I am normally a very calm traveler and it's the only place I've nearly ended up in an argument with one of the screening team who seem largely indifferent to whether they are being rude and antagonistic to customers.

On the plus side I think they've only sent me for secondary once ever and I actually quite like the MAN lounge (other than the slightly grim bathrooms, which at least fit the general BA theme) in contrast to the general consensus.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
A couple of posts up there was a query about T2. I used to fly weekly to DOH from T2, on the evening QR flight. That would generally take me 1 hour to clear security, using fast track, as MAN purchased fast track was slotted in ahead of airline fast track, as were mobility restricted persons (no issue) plus all their extended companions (hmmm.)

Given the type of traveller in T2 in the evening, a lot of them struggled with security due to inexperience (not their fault) or language difficulties, not helped by the shouty T2 security personnel. Generally this meant the majority of bags went to secondary which then stopped the whole flow as secondary was full so no more bags could proceed, even if cleared. The majority of passengers also didn’t understand they needed to remove most metallic objects, requiring several passes through the detector.

A few (10) experiences at specific times don’t have statistical significance, but be aware security can be lengthy even when there are only a few flights left to depart.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
I wish BA would fly from Doncaster as I hate MAN - too many Scousers.

I prefer to fly from London and drive there and back (helps that parents are there too).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sahajesh
I wish BA would fly from Doncaster as I hate MAN - too many Scousers.

Indeed, the worst part of it!

I'm going to do a C-W-S style live report from there tomorrow... timings down to the second.
m3red likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith
Am feeling quite anxious about T2 tomorrow.....many thanks for all the tips....perhaps i should get every single item out of my hand luggage?
I take everything electrical out... laptop, tablet, kindle, headphones, power supply, cables etc. Use as many trays as necessary, and make sure nothing overlaps.

I did once have an issue at T2 where I did the above. However, one of the security team insisted I put my rats nest of cables back in my bag as they didn't need to be out. Of course, the bag got stopped. The guy doing the secondary mentioned that the cables had flagged up. When I mentioned my previous conversation, he asked who had told me to put the cables in the bag. When I pointed him out, he rolled his eyes, said something along the lines of "that figures", and apologised
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC
slightly off topic...but my bag was sent to secondary at DUB last week, after waiting 5-10mins while previous bags were dealt with, the agent retrieved my bag and gave it back, no further inspection or conversation, thought it a bit strange but hey ho...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
slightly off topic...but my bag was sent to secondary at DUB last week, after waiting 5-10mins while previous bags were dealt with, the agent retrieved my bag and gave it back, no further inspection or conversation, thought it a bit strange but hey ho...
I've had that at both MAN and AMS. It seems that if the bag does not get checked in a certain amount of time (30 seconds maybe?), then it's automatically flagged for a secondary. So, if the x-ray guy is doing something else like chatting to his mate about the previous bag, the next bag will be automatically flagged.

When they come to check the bag, they know why it's been flagged, so can just give it back to you if it was because it had "timed out".
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Aaah ok, that would seem like a logical conclusion.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm going to do a C-W-S style live report from there tomorrow... timings down to the second.
Oh good-oh, I can't contain my excitement . Will I find it in the Emirates forum?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Oh good-oh, I can't contain my excitement . Will I find it in the Emirates forum?

On here! Doing a day trip to LHR on BA in CE (ooooh, get him!).

My current estimate is 16m 42s from kerb to lounge.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

On here! Doing a day trip to LHR on BA in CE (ooooh, get him!).

My current estimate is 16m 42s from kerb to lounge.
It depends on the time of your flight/airport arrival. Some days I’m drop-off to lounge in under 5 minutes - but that tends to be if I’m on either the 10 or 12 o’clock flights. The queues for the earlier flights are the worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.