Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FastTrack at MAN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by wind-blownmind
I agree with all of that except Fast Track feeding back into the main queue. In my experience at all but the lightest times Fast Track has its own metal detector in operation, hence my query. It does rather show up the security theatre for what it is that "the terrorists" can evade the supersecure body scanner simply by purchasing a Fast Track pass.
Not the case these days since MAN deployed MH Mach Smart-Lane screening lines in T3 (the same system LHR T5 has where everything has to go in a tub - they seem to understand how to use this).

Fast Track is just a handful of "dedicated" positions on screening line 5: 3 unloading positions are nominally Fast Track, the other 2 are fed from the general queue

Having unloaded their carry on bags for screening passengers are then directed to the millimetre-wave body scanner, this is shared with line 4, the "families and special assistance" line, which doesn't help the "Fast" element of the experience much either due to wheelchairs, pushchairs, assisting staff, etc. There is also a standard walk-through metal detector, which is generally only used as an "overflow" from the millimetre-wave scanner queue.

It is a shining example of inept senior management, second-rate training, and rock-bottom employee morale coupled with terrible process design.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes. When I went through about 2-3 years ago, the queue was split 50/50 through the scanner and a conventional metal detector arch. It so happened that the person ahead of me went to the metal detector, which means I should have gone to the scanner but instead I stepped into the queue for the arch too. That got me shouted at. When I stated, politely, that I object to the scanner but I'll happily go through the metal detector I was told "you don't get to choose" so I enquired about a pat down instead and was told "this isn't the bl**** TSA you go through the machine or you don't fly". I asked for a supervisor, who confirmed my options were the scanner or go home. Given it was a cheap flight and not anywhere I needed to be for several days I had the luxury of sticking to my principles, but not before they took copies of all my ID "for the police to investigate" because lord knows the only reason anyone would refuse the machine is because they're a terrorist. That was the last I heard of it, and it doesn't seem to have had any impact on the work I do for the government, if you see what I mean.
Why did you give them your Id? More fool you.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Why did you give them your Id? More fool you.
In hindsight, perhaps yes. They had already taken my boarding pass so they full well knew who I was. It was heavily implied if I didn't give them my details, to be passed to the police, then they would summon them to arrest me then and there. Bear in mind these people are mostly bullies with fragile egos, who are empowered to make my life miserable, and I have just "disrespected" them in front of the flying public. I could have been looking at a lengthy and expensive legal defense ("he threatened to blow up a plane!") or even a lengthy and painful hospital stay ("he fell down the stairs!"). Best avoided.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:57 am

The fast track and the other queue get to the front and they take 1 from fast track and seemingly 6 from the other lane.

They are the most unhelpful airport staff anywhere. A guy in front of me in fast track complained so they just stopped the fast track queue and let all the other queue through.

Plus the -all kindles have to be taken out- as apparently it is standard UK policy- not me but that stopped the flow as welll whilst they punished him by not putting his stuff through.

Solid deoderant- has to be in the bag etc etc

i don’t know why they are allowed to get away with it. Bullies is a good way to describe it. It is unpleasant and at times intimidating going through Manchester.
mjh0 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes I can. In line with European Union legislation all back scatter scanners have been removed from the EU, EEA, Switzerland and Nordic as of 2011, the small risk of cancer being one of the factors behind that. So they are now all millimetre wave scanners, based on radio waves rather than radiation. The law says that "security scanners shall not store, retain, copy, print or retrieve images". All UK scanners don't make images either, not even transiently, it stays as a digital datastream. However you can request an "enhanced manual search" if you prefer.

That said, for many FTers, the MAN security experience is the worst of any UK airport, but very little of that is to do with Fast Track or scanners.
I went through security at MAN T2 on Sunday. I confirm what you say is true - in all aspects!!!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When I went through about 2-3 years ago,
Are you sure it was 2 or 3 years ago? The rules were changed four years ago, and now not only is a pat-down allowed and image capability taken away (at the insistence of the then Home Secretary.....) but it is also spelled out very clearly on the Manchester website. I have seen MAN offer this to nervous passengers and to pregnant women pro-actively, and there are signs up too (admittedly very small print).

Originally Posted by Manchester Airport Website
You may opt out of being screened by security scanner. In this instance, you must either be screened by an alternative method which includes at least an enhanced hand search in private or you will not be permitted to enter the security restricted area, or, if applicable, you will be removed from it. An enhanced hand search in private will take place in a private room or an area away from the main search comb. This may involve the loosening and/or removal of clothing.
https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/...ides/security/

On the scanners the website says:
For the benefit of all passengers’ security, departing passengers may be required to be screened using security (body) scanning equipment at Manchester Airport.

Our advanced technology scanners are part of a range of security measures, some of which may not be obvious. These include a deliberate element of unpredictability in their deployment. This means you may experience a different process than you did on your last visit to Manchester Airport. Scanners are the safe, quick, and simple to use solution for speeding passengers through security whilst achieving higher levels of security detection than has previously been possible.

Assessment of scan data is conducted using the latest computer algorithms and no personal data is saved.
Now I'm not a fan of Manchester's security set up - and I've raised it in a face to face meeting with the Mayor of Manchester, who said that he gets many complaints from the tourist industry about the airport - but MAN's approach in this area is to my mind sensible and practical.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
They do seem to make up “rules” on a whim.

My recent special events include:

All electrical cables must be separated, open, loose in the tray and not in a bag.

You must place your bag in a tray in which there is already an iPad / liquids - (clearly going to trigger a secondary). Cannot decline, you must not use another tray.

You must collect your tray immediately and place it in the return slot. No problem as such with that - save I have 3 trays and 2 hands, and if you wait 5 seconds I'll empty each tray, move the whole lot to the repack bench overlooking the apron to repack it and place the trays in the return keeping the baggage screening collection area clear.

Get shouted at to not cross the red line on the floor until specifically called forward to the scanner/arch. The red line has mostly worn off. Then get shouted at for not coming forward, replying but you told me to wait until you called me forwards, then threatened with - “I will have you removed from the flight, don’t complain”

However, the majority of my visits are ok.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
As someone who starts most trips from Manchester, either T3 or T1, I can only say that it is difficult to find anywhere in Europe that offers worse experience of going though security. I also raised this with airport directors but they weren’t interested. There are clearly cultural and management issues at play in my opinion.
mjh0 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:22 pm

When I refused to go through the scanner at LGW South last November, the staff called the police. I said I wanted to opt out and have the enhanced hand search. The staf thought this was ‘very suspicious’. A manger was called and asked for my name and boarding pass. When I asked how that would assist with security that’s when the police were called.

Palmer
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Don’t dare even glance at your phone whilst waiting in the mile long queue else you’ll be shouted at, and if you question the reason for it and point out that no other airport seems to have this rule, you’ll be threatened with removal!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Are you sure it was 2 or 3 years ago? The rules were changed four years ago, and now not only is a pat-down allowed and image capability taken away (at the insistence of the then Home Secretary.....) but it is also spelled out very clearly on the Manchester website...

On the scanners the website says:
...These include a deliberate element of unpredictability ...
Well this would have been some time between summer 2015 and spring 2016. It’s quite clear the security staff do not give a pickle about policies on websites or even on signs. They are a law unto themselves, and the bit about unpredictability is the cover they hide behind when anyone tries to call them on it. The lot should be sacked together with the management. This is in large part why I’ve done all my flying from LHR this year, but I don’t always get the choice.

I also take issue with the phrasing “image capability taken away” they are imaging machines that is fundamentally what they do, even if that image is no longer visible to the staff running it. The only way to take away imaging capability is to take away the machine and use something else instead.

One thing’s for certain: going on the internet and complaining to a load of random strangers is sure to bring about change.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by tomparskate
Yes you do. Just as prior warning I was flying through Manchester back in May and security was dreadful. My bag got stopped and took 30 minutes to be checked! And I thought EDI security was bad
I actually thought that Edinburgh security wasn’t bad, my favourite after The Firs Wing is Newcastle.

I had had a run in at Manchester where I had to wait 45 mins for a secondary inspection because I left a rogue item in and they kept prioritising passengers with imminent departures and my bag was sent to the back of a 3 line queue 4 times,

When I asked to log it as a complaint I was told they won’t listen to my complaint as it’s my fault so no point complaining.

I asked to speak to a a supervisor he was too busy.. from the lounge I tweeted MAnchester airport and asked to speak to a duty manager and then send head honcho that had belittled me, was an initial awkward moment but then I told him honestly of my experience, He was a little upset and said they want to seem better than LBA LPL etc. I’m gobsmacked that things haven’t changed and just wonder who needs to be made aware of the situation,
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It’s quite clear the security staff do not give a pickle about policies on websites or even on signs.
That's not my experience, I was going through MAN at the end of September there was an autistic boy - well, late teenager I would guess - who was having severe problems with the scanner, and the staff - who were sympathetic - pointed to the sign and asked the parents if it was ok to hand search him instead. The parents managed to get the meltdown to end and it was their preference that he went through the scanner.

I also take issue with the phrasing “image capability taken away” they are imaging machines that is fundamentally what they do, even if that image is no longer visible to the staff running it. The only way to take away imaging capability is to take away the machine and use something else instead.
I think you may want to delve into how modern MM Wave devices work - there is zero image created in them, they are absolutely not imaging devices. The short version is that an electronic controller sends a stream of radio waves to the subject and analyses - at Zero and One level - the data coming back. If the information pattern - the stream of 0 and 1 - comes back with results out of tolerance, it will indicate to the operator that something needs to be investigated further. An "overlay" shows on a mock standard body shape, but it could quite easily say "check lower left arm" given the information that it is working with. You can only create an theoretical and hypothetical image by building software on to that datastream, software which isn't present in the scanner. You're right the staff can't see the image, no-one can, there is no image there in the first place.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

That's not my experience, I was going through MAN at the end of September there was an autistic boy - well, late teenager I would guess - who was having severe problems with the scanner, and the staff - who were sympathetic - pointed to the sign and asked the parents if it was ok to hand search him instead. The parents managed to get the meltdown to end and it was their preference that he went through the scanner.

I think you may want to delve into how modern MM Wave devices work - there is zero image created in them, they are absolutely not imaging devices. The short version is that an electronic controller sends a stream of radio waves to the subject and analyses - at Zero and One level - the data coming back. If the information pattern - the stream of 0 and 1 - comes back with results out of tolerance, it will indicate to the operator that something needs to be investigated further. An "overlay" shows on a mock standard body shape, but it could quite easily say "check lower left arm" given the information that it is working with. You can only create an theoretical and hypothetical image by building software on to that datastream, software which isn't present in the scanner. You're right the staff can't see the image, no-one can, there is no image there in the first place.
It’s great that they offer the option to those who visibly have difficulty with the scanner, however consider that they’re also doing it in those cases because it makes their own job easier. Those of us who are fully capable of using such machines, but merely consider them a political boondoggle and an outrage to basic human decency are, by my experience, simply threatened and intimidated into complaince because that is usually the path of least resistance for them in those cases.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on what constitutes an imaging machine. In a past life I serviced medical imaging devices such as CT scanners and the like. In my book, if your machine directs an energy source at (or through) an object and records the energy reflected back (or passing through) the object, then it is by definition creating an image of the object regardless of whether the wavelength of the energy it uses is visible or not. Similarly to perform the analysis each pixel can’t be examined in isolation it has to be put into context with those surrounding it for comparison. This means the data stream has to be at least partially reconstructed. A bunch of pixels created by sampling an object and arranged in context with each other is by definition an image of that object, whether it’s perceived by a human or not. In practical terms all it takes is a little bit of malware to exfiltrate the data and suddenly everyone’s assorted good n’ plenties are floating all over the internet in super resolution for half of humanity to perceive.

An analogous situation would be, in my opinion, putting digital cameras in toilet stalls then saying “don’t worry we took the screens off the back and they only operate in raw, not jpeg.” i.e. not even remotely acceptable in a civilised society.

I despair for the future that almost everyone takes the politicians’ word on this. We’ve been conned. I’m in no way shape or form an American but in this instance I fully agree with the motto of New Hampshire: Live Free or Die.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
In January 2017, someone was found with an improvised explosive device at MAN T3 security. The security manager popped the crude pipe bomb in her pocket and the passenger was later allowed to travel. MAN security was rightly castigated by the judge at the subsequent trial (the passenger got 22 years). If you encounter problems at T3 security, you can always remind them about that incident, but I've found it doesn't go down too well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.